Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default Ran oil out on riding mower -

"C & E" wrote in message

"mar10" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my
shortblock replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions. This
link might be your engine which is about $500 cheaper than Sears is
quoting you.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...o de=PA-69545

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is about
$750. Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they will charge you
to dis and re-assemble the engines. It could be that it's not worth it.

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free
shipping on orders over $100.