Posted to alt.home.repair
Brigitte

Default Help with old snapper riding mower...

Hi all,
Last year I was given an older snapper riding mower. I can't find the model
or serial numbers.

The engine starts up, runs about 2 seconds and dies. It won't usually start
again until it's sat for about 15 minutes, but when I get it started again,
it does the same thing. It turns over like it's going to start, but no
luck.

It has fresh gas and the oil level is fine. This is very frustrating, cuz
for a few seconds it sounds good to go, then just dies.

It's an 11hp B&S engine.

I don't know much about this kinda stuff, but I know it needs spark, fuel
and air to run. I know it's getting spark and I'm pretty sure it's getting
gas, although I can't seem to find a fuel filter on this thing, so I'm not
sure of the condition of it. I've checked the air filter and it looks good,
but perhaps the look of it can be deceiving??

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brigitte

"Brigitte" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if it matters, but I forgot to mention it's an electric start.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Get the carburator cleaned, rebuilt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Brigitte" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
Last year I was given an older snapper riding mower. I can't find the model
or serial numbers.

The engine starts up, runs about 2 seconds and dies. It won't usually start
again until it's sat for about 15 minutes, but when I get it started again,
it does the same thing. It turns over like it's going to start, but no
luck.

It sounds like a carb problem. Disassembly and cleaning should fix it. It probably
sat unused for a long time with fuel in it at some time.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brigitte

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"Brigitte" wrote in message

Hi all,
Last year I was given an older snapper riding mower. I can't find the

model
or serial numbers.

The engine starts up, runs about 2 seconds and dies. It won't usually

start
again until it's sat for about 15 minutes, but when I get it started

again,
it does the same thing. It turns over like it's going to start, but no
luck.

It sounds like a carb problem. Disassembly and cleaning should fix it. It

probably
sat unused for a long time with fuel in it at some time.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your advice. I purchased some carb/choke cleaner in a spray can
and had sprayed that inside the carb. Does this not really count as
cleaning? It seemed to make no difference, so I figured the carb wasn't the
problem...Was this just too easy and not really a carb "cleaning", per se?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brigitte wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"Brigitte" wrote in message

[...]

No, that's not going to be enough.

The carb is going to have to be removed and disassembled, and the gas
tank should be cleaned as well.

There's probably a mostly plugged fuel line or passage in the carb that
allows the float bowl to slooooowly fill, then it gets used up running
for those 2 seconds.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Brigette,

Spraying carb cleaner is only part of the process. You probably should
buy the correct rebuild kit, disassemble the carb, soak the parts in a
solvent (gas will do), clean the parts, and then reassemble following the
directions from the kit. After all of this you will need to readjust your
carb following the kit instructions.
The correct carb rebuild kit can be ordered if you know the model carb,
the number is stamped on the carb, or the engine model number. stamped on
the engine, or the lawn mower number, somewhere on the lawn mower.
You may find the Briggs&Stratton web-site helpful.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Brigitte" wrote in message -
[...]

Too easy. Internal passages and jets get clogged. There could be water in the tank.
If there is a drain on the bottom of the carb, opening it could let some crud and water out.
Any old gas in the mower should be removed and replaced with fresh gas.
Possibly, a "pour in the gas" carb cleaner could help, but don't overdo it.

Sometimes, squirting a little gas into the carb (with the air cleaner removed) and starting
the engine, then repeating multiple times, will manage to un-clog it enough to work.
Otherwise, dissasembly and cleaning of the carb is needed. If you have no interest in
this kind of work, and have no friend who could do it, any mower repair shop can do it.

The FAQ pointed to above has useful info.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Cool

It's not getting fuel. I have a Toro with the same problem. I've had the
carb apart twice, cleaned it, replaced the primer bulb, checked that gas
is getting to the carb but it's not getting in the carb fast enough to
keep running. Something is plugged but I don't know what.
--
Mac Cool
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

Engines have to breathe to work. That means both inhale and exhale.
They can't inhale and suck in gas if they can't exhale. Check to see
that your muffler isn't clogged.

I've had this happen on a Mac Weedeater and it was very frustrating
until I found it had a clogged muffler.

On 17 May 2006 02:07:52 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

It's not getting fuel. I have a Toro with the same problem. I've had the
carb apart twice, cleaned it, replaced the primer bulb, checked that gas
is getting to the carb but it's not getting in the carb fast enough to
keep running. Something is plugged but I don't know what.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Cool

Joe:

Engines have to breathe to work. That means both inhale and exhale.
They can't inhale and suck in gas if they can't exhale. Check to see
that your muffler isn't clogged.

good tip, thanks.

--
Mac Cool
Posted to alt.home.repair
Brigitte

"Brigitte" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I've determined that this
is more than I'm prepared to deal with at this time, since I'm also in the
process of moving to Colorado. I put the mower on Freecycle and have
someone coming to pick it up today.

As soon as this thing is gone I'll no longer be obsessed with this darned
thing.

Thanks again,
Brigitte

Sears Riding Mower Gear/Break Problem [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 2nd 06 05:26 PM
snapper mower gg Home Repair 0 June 27th 05 01:17 AM
John Deere Riding lawn mower [email protected] Home Repair 26 June 22nd 05 10:20 PM
Bad Solenoid on riding mower? --> Blown Rod! Teffy Home Repair 3 July 5th 03 02:13 PM
Bad Solenoid on riding mower? --> Blown Rod! Teffy Home Ownership 3 July 5th 03 02:13 PM