Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default snapper riding mower. need to remove differential.

sirmopalot wrote:
Hello. I have a Snapper riding lawn mower. Engine is rear mounted.
Recently the mower stopped moving and it is because the differential
slips in forward. (It works in reverse). I can't figure out how to
remove the rear axle. But I need to so I can see what is wrong. Like
if it is a stripped gear etc.. I've taken the cover off the gear boxes
and haven't seen anything obvious.. I think it might be something I
can't get to without dismanteling the whole thing. I've seen a
rebuild kit online for 75 bucks, but I want to make sure I can do it
first! Thanks for any suggestions!

Agree w/ the other posts -- had a nearly 30-yr old Snapper rider w/ so
many hard hours on it the whole frame was wearing through and been
welded over and over and the differential/drive train never had a
problem. So, I think it unlikely to be a problem in the differential to
begin with. Add to that the "drive in reverse, no-go in forward" and it
doesn't sound like a differential problem but the drive.

But, if raise rear off ground and have in neutral and can turn one wheel
and the other goes 'round opposite, it definitely isn't. Unless and
until that test fails, no need to go further in your quest on the "how"
of disassembly.

If it does indeed fail that test and isn't in the tension adjust or some
other drive problem related to that, the dealer for service/repair/parts
diagrams is the ticket. I didn't do a search, but would be somewhat
surprising if can't find them online as well...

It's been too long to recall much specifically as for a guess on the
how, but undoubtedly the axle will be held w/ a snap ring on one or both
ends and they'll come out with the proper incantation...