Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 21, 3:47*pm, wrote:
(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2011 10:27 AM Joe spake thus:

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2011 12:25 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/21/2011 10:15 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:06 -0400,

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup
subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network;
and answere.en.w7.performance. tia

You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server
such as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or
"Eternal September" is another free news service provider. There
are others too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can
be read from your Agent newsreader.

Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

From news.planet.nl(my provider):hundreds of them.

Well, I found a bunch of them (maybe the same set?) on aioe.org.
However, when I tried posting to one of them (one of the Word groups), I
got a weird error message back saying the date/time in my message header
was over an hour old (????!???). And there were only three messages in
the group (dunno what aioe's retention period is; that might explain
that). So in corn-clusion, I'm not sure these groups are actually active.

Are you able to see a reasonable number of messages in these groups? Can
you post to them?

If so, I guess this means that the whole microsoft.* hierarchy is now
kind of floating free in NNTP-space, despite the mother ship having cut
the umbilical cord. Kind of a strange situation if true.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup
subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network;
and answere.en.w7.performance. tia
You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server
such as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or
"Eternal September" is another free news service provider. There
are others too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can
be read from your Agent newsreader.
Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

From news.planet.nl(my provider):hundreds of them.

Well, I found a bunch of them (maybe the same set?) on aioe.org.
However, when I tried posting to one of them (one of the Word groups), I
got a weird error message back saying the date/time in my message header
was over an hour old (????!???). And there were only three messages in
the group (dunno what aioe's retention period is; that might explain
that). So in corn-clusion, I'm not sure these groups are actually active.

Are you able to see a reasonable number of messages in these groups? Can
you post to them?

If so, I guess this means that the whole microsoft.* hierarchy is now
kind of floating free in NNTP-space, despite the mother ship having cut
the umbilical cord. Kind of a strange situation if true.

Any newsgroup has always existed in "the cloud", never carried/served
by one provider only.
If you have a particular set of groups in mind I can check,
the whole group is too big for my taste
I follow some dos and batch groups, some alt. computers/win98/xp,
and a few c/c++/fortran groups.
I never did fancy the "official" M$ groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

I'm sure you meant to type that all microsoft software runs on macs,
since all macs can run windoze now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2011 10:29 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

I'm sure you meant to type that all microsoft software runs on macs,
since all macs can run windoze now.

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

Yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, obsolescence is forced on us. My
mac is gettin' pretty long in the tooth. But it has all the speed,
power, and memory that I need or want. Still, I can barely surf the web
anymore, because all three of my browsers are ancient. I can't upgrade
them, because the OS is too old. And I can't update the OS, because the
computer is too old. It sucks, but I'm very close to throwing it in the
trash (uh, I mean, taking it to the electronics "recycler") and ponying
up for a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2011 10:57 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In articleVK6dnWwFQ6j2wxTQnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

Yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, obsolescence is forced on us. My
mac is gettin' pretty long in the tooth. But it has all the speed,
power, and memory that I need or want. Still, I can barely surf the web
anymore, because all three of my browsers are ancient. I can't upgrade
them, because the OS is too old. And I can't update the OS, because the
computer is too old. It sucks, but I'm very close to throwing it in the
trash (uh, I mean, taking it to the electronics "recycler") and ponying
up for a new one.

At least offer it on freecycle or post it for $1 on CL. Some poor SOB
out there may have a dead one of similar vintage, and you can put him
back in business. It is a sin to bury or scrap any running equipment-
somebody somewhere can make use of it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

At least offer it on freecycle or post it for $1 on CL. Some poor SOB
out there may have a dead one of similar vintage, and you can put him
back in business. It is a sin to bury or scrap any running equipment-
somebody somewhere can make use of it.

True. I'll likely go the CL free route.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

I read all of the replies to the above question (my post) - thanks. I
have been told by Forte (Agent newsreader): "Microsoft has ended the
bridge so it is impossible to read any of these forums with a
newsreader, any newsreader. So it is not possible to read these groups
anymore with agent or any other newsreader."
The newsgroups, as to repliers posted, are at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/
This is a list of all available newsgroups, the source.
In my opinion this forum presentation is not even close to being as
efficient as the newsreaders. A step backwards for Microsoft
technology. But, more control for Microsoft.

At the top of the link you provide is a search box. Put anything in the
search box and you'll get "Service unavailable - try later."

It's been like that for at least three days.

Not very inspiring.