DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   (OT) Microsoft Newsgroups (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/320607-ot-microsoft-newsgroups.html)

[email protected] March 21st 11 08:47 PM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

willshak March 21st 11 08:53 PM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

wrote the following:
(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Microsoft .com

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Michael Dobony March 22nd 11 12:27 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:06 -0400, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Micro$$$$$oft has decided that you don't need the open environment of
newsgroups to get answers to your problems. You either need to go to their
website or go to alternate NG sources. Mozilla still has the micro$$oft
groups.

mm March 22nd 11 05:35 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:06 -0400, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.

Isn't this where they "moved to"? I don't get it.

I still read microsoft named newsgroups on Usenent, via eternal
september. Not as busy as before, but plenty of information.

David Nebenzahl March 22nd 11 07:16 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/21/2011 10:15 PM spake thus:

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup subjects
we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network; and
answere.en.w7.performance. tia

You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server such
as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or "Eternal
September" is another free news service provider. There are others
too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can be read from
your Agent newsreader.

Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)

Joe March 22nd 11 06:27 PM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On Mar 21, 3:47*pm, wrote:
(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Joe

David Nebenzahl March 22nd 11 09:00 PM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/22/2011 10:27 AM Joe spake thus:

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

David Nebenzahl March 22nd 11 10:42 PM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/22/2011 12:25 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup
subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network;
and answere.en.w7.performance. tia

You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server
such as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or
"Eternal September" is another free news service provider. There
are others too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can
be read from your Agent newsreader.

Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

From news.planet.nl(my provider):hundreds of them.

Well, I found a bunch of them (maybe the same set?) on aioe.org.
However, when I tried posting to one of them (one of the Word groups), I
got a weird error message back saying the date/time in my message header
was over an hour old (????!???). And there were only three messages in
the group (dunno what aioe's retention period is; that might explain
that). So in corn-clusion, I'm not sure these groups are actually active.

Are you able to see a reasonable number of messages in these groups? Can
you post to them?

If so, I guess this means that the whole microsoft.* hierarchy is now
kind of floating free in NNTP-space, despite the mother ship having cut
the umbilical cord. Kind of a strange situation if true.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] March 23rd 11 12:59 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup
subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network;
and answere.en.w7.performance. tia
You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server
such as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or
"Eternal September" is another free news service provider. There
are others too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can
be read from your Agent newsreader.
Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

From news.planet.nl(my provider):hundreds of them.

Well, I found a bunch of them (maybe the same set?) on aioe.org.
However, when I tried posting to one of them (one of the Word groups), I
got a weird error message back saying the date/time in my message header
was over an hour old (????!???). And there were only three messages in
the group (dunno what aioe's retention period is; that might explain
that). So in corn-clusion, I'm not sure these groups are actually active.

Are you able to see a reasonable number of messages in these groups? Can
you post to them?

If so, I guess this means that the whole microsoft.* hierarchy is now
kind of floating free in NNTP-space, despite the mother ship having cut
the umbilical cord. Kind of a strange situation if true.

Any newsgroup has always existed in "the cloud", never carried/served
by one provider only.
If you have a particular set of groups in mind I can check,
the whole group is too big for my taste :)
I follow some dos and batch groups, some alt. computers/win98/xp,
and a few c/c++/fortran groups.
I never did fancy the "official" M$ groups.

[email protected] March 23rd 11 01:50 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:06 -0400, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

I read all of the replies to the above question (my post) - thanks. I
have been told by Forte (Agent newsreader): "Microsoft has ended the
bridge so it is impossible to read any of these forums with a
newsreader, any newsreader. So it is not possible to read these groups
anymore with agent or any other newsreader."
The newsgroups, as to repliers posted, are at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/
This is a list of all available newsgroups, the source.
In my opinion this forum presentation is not even close to being as
efficient as the newsreaders. A step backwards for Microsoft
technology. But, more control for Microsoft.

Smitty Two March 23rd 11 02:29 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

I'm sure you meant to type that all microsoft software runs on macs,
since all macs can run windoze now.

notbob[_4_] March 23rd 11 02:38 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 2011-03-21, wrote:
(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

M$ giveth, M$ taketh away!

That whole answers.* groups is gone. Live with it. There's still
tons of microsoft.public.* groups. Also alt.windows7.general, which
appears to have a lotta traffic and good retention.

That's the trouble with Microsoft. They're Microsoft.

nb

aemeijers March 23rd 11 02:41 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/22/2011 10:29 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

On Mar 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge.
How does one now access the information which used to be accessible?
Typical newsgroup subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware;
answers.en.w7.network; and answere.en.w7.performance.
tia

Get a Mac and your blood pressure will soon return to normal.

Right, because as we know, no Micro$oft software runs on Macs.

I'm sure you meant to type that all microsoft software runs on macs,
since all macs can run windoze now.

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

--
aem sends...

Smitty Two March 23rd 11 02:57 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

Yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, obsolescence is forced on us. My
mac is gettin' pretty long in the tooth. But it has all the speed,
power, and memory that I need or want. Still, I can barely surf the web
anymore, because all three of my browsers are ancient. I can't upgrade
them, because the OS is too old. And I can't update the OS, because the
computer is too old. It sucks, but I'm very close to throwing it in the
trash (uh, I mean, taking it to the electronics "recycler") and ponying
up for a new one.

aemeijers March 23rd 11 03:00 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/22/2011 10:57 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In articleVK6dnWwFQ6j2wxTQnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

Recent Macs, mebbe. Lotta old Macs out there, and they are pretty durable.

Yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, obsolescence is forced on us. My
mac is gettin' pretty long in the tooth. But it has all the speed,
power, and memory that I need or want. Still, I can barely surf the web
anymore, because all three of my browsers are ancient. I can't upgrade
them, because the OS is too old. And I can't update the OS, because the
computer is too old. It sucks, but I'm very close to throwing it in the
trash (uh, I mean, taking it to the electronics "recycler") and ponying
up for a new one.

At least offer it on freecycle or post it for $1 on CL. Some poor SOB
out there may have a dead one of similar vintage, and you can put him
back in business. It is a sin to bury or scrap any running equipment-
somebody somewhere can make use of it.

--
aem sends...

Smitty Two March 23rd 11 03:30 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

At least offer it on freecycle or post it for $1 on CL. Some poor SOB
out there may have a dead one of similar vintage, and you can put him
back in business. It is a sin to bury or scrap any running equipment-
somebody somewhere can make use of it.

True. I'll likely go the CL free route.

HeyBub[_3_] March 23rd 11 11:34 AM

(OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

wrote:

[...]

At the top of the link you provide is a search box. Put anything in the
search box and you'll get "Service unavailable - try later."

It's been like that for at least three days.

Not very inspiring.