Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Microsoft Newsgroups

On 3/22/2011 12:25 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/21/2011 10:15 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:47:06 -0400,

wrote:

(OT) The Microsoft newsgroups are no longer accessible from the
Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge. How does one now access the
information which used to be accessible? Typical newsgroup
subjects we answers.en.w7.hardware; answers.en.w7.network;
and answere.en.w7.performance. tia

You already have the "tools". You are using Agent 6. If your
easynews dont carry them (it should), then get a free news server
such as AIOE (that's what I'm using and I cna use them), or
"Eternal September" is another free news service provider. There
are others too. F**K Microsoft. The groups still exist and can
be read from your Agent newsreader.

Are you sure about that? I just tried accessing some Microsoft
newsgroups (microsoft.public.xxx), and the server seems to be nonexistent.

From news.planet.nl(my provider):hundreds of them.

Well, I found a bunch of them (maybe the same set?) on aioe.org.
However, when I tried posting to one of them (one of the Word groups), I
got a weird error message back saying the date/time in my message header
was over an hour old (????!???). And there were only three messages in
the group (dunno what aioe's retention period is; that might explain
that). So in corn-clusion, I'm not sure these groups are actually active.

Are you able to see a reasonable number of messages in these groups? Can
you post to them?

If so, I guess this means that the whole microsoft.* hierarchy is now
kind of floating free in NNTP-space, despite the mother ship having cut
the umbilical cord. Kind of a strange situation if true.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang