Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,913
Default cutting board oil

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve


It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you want
to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as butcher
block treatment.

  #12   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 310
Default cutting board oil

On 2011-02-28, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid.


Butcher shops use mineral oil. Any mineral oil is food grade. If
you're gonna consider a petroleum product food grade ingestible, why
be picky. Mineral oil has been recommended for ingestion to relieve
severe constipation for decades. Not me! Mineral oil is available in
any drug store, pharmacy, and most likely the over-the-counter
pharmaceutical section of most supermarkets.

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object. It induces one's gag
reflex and is often next to impossible to choke down even if, like
mineral oil, it's completely tasteless.

I choose not to oil my cutting board with any oil. I jes clean it
with warm soap and water and sometimes a mild water/bleach solution.
A good board, made of maple or some other appropriate wood and a
quality glue, will last for years.

If you buy one of the huge butcher block tables that cost $$$$ and
will last forever and insist on oiling it, use mineral oil. Those
things get cleaned several times a day, and worn down from heavy use.
So much meat passes over them, there's little chance of ingesting much
mineral oil.

My aversion to ingesting petroleum products is jes my own personal
hang-up.

nb
  #13   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,421
Default cutting board oil

On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:20 -0500, George wrote:

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or?
I just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have
that is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed
or tung oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT
to use any kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve


It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you want
to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as butcher
block treatment.


One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict
how much it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll ****
yourself to death.


For cutting boards, you just wipe the oil on and wipe off again. Food
grade would be that sold at pharmacies or food stores, safe to ingest.
You would not get more than a trace of it on food, used properly. In
long term use (ingestion), mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiency (of
oil soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K).
  #14   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,223
Default cutting board oil

On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.


You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.
  #15   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,913
Default cutting board oil

On 2/28/2011 5:30 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:20:49 -0500, wrote:

On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:20 -0500, George wrote:

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store
or? I just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I
have that is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests
poppyseed or tung oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems
to say NOT to use any kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid.
What do YOU use?

Steve


It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you
want to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as
butcher block treatment.

One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict how much
it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll **** yourself to
death.


For cutting boards, you just wipe the oil on and wipe off again. Food
grade would be that sold at pharmacies or food stores, safe to ingest.
You would not get more than a trace of it on food, used properly. In
long term use (ingestion), mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiency (of
oil soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K).


That's fine. You do what you want with it. I use vegetable oil to stone
my knives with. But then I wash everything after. If this dude's cutting
board is drying/cracking, nothing will fix it. If he wants to prevent
further degeneration he should use Canola, Peanut, Corn oil. Those aren't
as much of a threat as petroleum based mineral oil.


Did you mean to write he *shouldn't* use vegetable oils such as canola
corn oil because of rancidity issues?


Enuff said I'm outta this one.




  #16   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Default cutting board oil



"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?


Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me.
Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping
the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.


--------------

Olive oil is one of the most unstable oils around. That is a big no-no.
That is really bad unsanitary advice you giving.

The only cooking oil you can use to seal cutting boards is coconut oil
because it's the only stable inert cooking oil there is.

It's best to use either beeswax or USP mineral oil or any other inert oil.

Disinfect win vinegar periodically. Use salt as a stain remover.

You can use RAW tung oil but I dunno any cook that does.

  #17   Report Post  
Old February 28th 11, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 226
Default cutting board oil

Bed, Bath & Beyond sells stuff that seems okay. It was near the
cutting boards.

Don't use olive oil.
  #18   Report Post  
Old March 1st 11, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 75
Default cutting board oil


"Oren" wrote in message
...
On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.


You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.


I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst
things I have ever eaten. After they outlawed all the patent medicines with
cocaine and the good stuff in them, castor oil was the cureall. You didn't
dare look like you were sick or ............................

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com




  #19   Report Post  
Old March 1st 11, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,355
Default cutting board oil


"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?


Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me. Haven't
noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping the board
reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic stuff
(driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary vegetable oil.

Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to
get it either.


--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet


I am sure you can buy it locally but:
http://www.google.com/search?q=food-...3424583e0d5426

Google search term: food grade mineral oil and click on the shopping
results.


Don't use the veggie oil. Over time it will go rancid.



--
Colbyt
Please come visit http://www.househomerepair.com


  #20   Report Post  
Old March 1st 11, 01:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,223
Default cutting board oil

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:01:18 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:


"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.


You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.


I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst
things I have ever eaten. After they outlawed all the patent medicines with
cocaine and the good stuff in them, castor oil was the cureall. You didn't
dare look like you were sick or ............................


Like I say, one spoonful will cure you. It don't take a second one.
Just the suggestion of another is like a miracle. Makes eating a ball
of lard seem easy.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cutting board Stoutman Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 15th 07 04:26 AM
cutting board Swingman Woodworking 0 April 13th 06 01:31 AM
Red Oak in cutting board? rkruz Woodworking 13 July 30th 05 01:47 AM
Red Oak in cutting board? jjsmithin Woodworking 8 July 29th 05 04:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017