Posted to alt.home.repair
homer homer is offline

Default cutting board oil

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:37:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me.
Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping
the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic
stuff (driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary
vegetable oil.

Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to
get it either.

The laxative section of your nearest drugstore.