Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default cutting board oil

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.

Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.
Doesn't every man like a nice hardwood?
Anyway, she said don't even think about it.
Though I can't translate exactly from woman talk to man talk, my
take on what she said is basically "Wood if for amateurs."
Maybe even "A wood cutting board is sissy stuff."
Like I say, hard to translate.
At work she uses 3 plastic/acrylic cutting boards.
Green for veggies, white for cooked meat, red for raw meat.
They stain, but wash easily.
There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.
Here at home she has a frosted clear plastic/acrylic board.
She loves it. It doesn't stain.
It's scratched a bit, but washes easily.

--Vic

A search for wood cutting board germs shows that wood is actually beter than
the other boards as far as not having germs on them. It is probably a very
good idea to use seperate boards for differant foods.

Even the 'experts' seem to be wrong when switching to the plastic type
boards.
Go with the wood.