Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default cutting board oil

On 2/28/2011 10:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote
My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.
Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.

There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.

Yes, but I still prefer wood. It just looks better and works well with
little care. In a pro kitchen, it is probably better to use the plastic
though.

I agree. While I understand about commercial kitchen rules not allowing
them, ISTR some studies where the wood ones actually retarded bacterial
growth better than plastic. (no, damnit, I do not have a cite.) Wood is
definitely kinder to knives, though. I'll stick with wood ones, as long
as my stock holds out, or they are available in stores.

I knew a guy back in the day, who had a good woodshop, and a good stock
of hardwood plank cutoffs. He'd just run the cutting board through the
planer every few weeks to expose a fresh surface, and when it got too
thin, move on to the next chunk. The used ones either went in the
fireplace, or got used out in the shop for whatever.

--
aem sends...