Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The best laid plans of Rock Salt and Drains

In the continuing saga of my "roots in the drain" issue, I decided to
apply the first 25 lbs of dissolved salt this morning just prior to
leaving for work.

Last night I put a 20 gallon storage tub on my dolly, filled it about
half way with hot water via a hose from the utility sink with the plan
to roll it over to the shower stall this morning. I even did a "dry
run" to make sure I could get it into position to dump it.

This morning, just before leaving for work, I went upstairs to make
sure everyone was gone. As usual, all the bedroom doors were closed to
keep the dog's out. I checked my son's room to make sure he had left
for work. My wife's car was gone so she had left to drop my daughter
off at school and then go to work. OK, we're all set.

So, I carefully roll the sloshing tub across the basement, slide it
part way off the dolly onto the lip of the shower stall and slowly
dump the water down the drain. I rinse the stall briefly with some
clean water and wipe it down with a old towel. Damn you roots! Suck on
that all day.

Then, just as I am walking out of the bathroom I hear a toilet flush!
WTF?

I go upstairs to discover that my daughter woke up with a fever and
took the day off from school!

So much for a solid 7 hours of salt water sitting in the drain. I
swear I heard the roots snickering as I left the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:49:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I go upstairs to discover that my daughter woke up with a fever and
took the day off from school!

So much for a solid 7 hours of salt water sitting in the drain. I
swear I heard the roots snickering as I left the house.

One flush probably won't matter anyway.
Are you sure that shower dumps into the sewer line?
Have to use the toilet for the salt in my place.
Sink line (all but toilets) goes to a catch basin first.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I go upstairs to discover that my daughter woke up with a fever and
took the day off from school!

So much for a solid 7 hours of salt water sitting in the drain. I
swear I heard the roots snickering as I left the house.

One flush probably won't matter anyway.
Are you sure that shower dumps into the sewer line?
Have to use the toilet for the salt in my place.
Sink line (all but toilets) goes to a catch basin first.

--Vic

"One flush probably won't matter anyway"

It wasn't the 1 flush that I was "concerned" with. It's the shower
she'll take, the other flushes, etc.

The point of my attempt at humor was that I was planning on 7 hours of
no movement in the drain and instead there will someone home using
water.

It's really no big deal, just another perfect plan gone awry.

"Are you sure that shower dumps into the sewer line?"

100% sure.

Besides the fact that when I upgraded the shower I had to move the old
drain by jack-hammering the slab (so I know exactly how it is plumbed)
I do not have a catch basin. I've snaked the line enough to know the
drain accessible through the cleanout that is right outside the
basement shower goes directly to pipe that goes to the street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm nominating this for the best post of the week.

Oh, next time. Pour salt crystals into the toilet bowl
during a flush. That should give you slow release. Check
your daughter's mail for the next few days, she may have a
big pay off from the roots in your drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

[...]

It takes a long time to flush 25 lbs of rock salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Where did you come up with this idea?

I work for a D.O.T. We brine our interstates b/4 a snow storm @ a rate of
20 gallons per lane mile. I'll put down an average of 30+ tons of salt,
prewetting at a rate of 10 gallons of brine per ton during a 12 hr shift.
Typically, a 40 lane mile interstate will get anywhere from 100 to 120 tons
of salt thrown down in a 24 hr period. We don't have a bit of problem with
weeds/trees/grass growing along the interstates. We have to mow/weedwack/ &
spray to kill the stuff.

I'd take a serious look at wasting anymore of your time, in an attempt to
kill a tree pouring brine water down a sewer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 3:45*pm, "Noel" wrote:
[...]

kill a tree pouring brine water down a sewer.- Hide quoted text -

"Where did you come up with this idea?...an attempt to kill a tree
pouring brine water down a sewer"

I'll bounce the question right bach at 'cha...

Where did you get the idea that I'm trying kill a tree?

This exercise is merely to eliminate the roots inside a cast iron pipe
that tend to cause a blockage every couple of years.

It has been suggested in this newsgroup (as well as various other
places on the web) that salt water will shrivel the roots in the drain
and prevent a root-induced blockage. All indications is that it will
*not* harm the tree in any manner.

The suggested method is to let the salt water sit in the drain for a
few hours to give the roots a chance to quench themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:45:11 -0500, "Noel" wrote:

I'd take a serious look at wasting anymore of your time, in an attempt to
kill a tree pouring brine water down a sewer.

The OP is not trying to kill the tree, only keep to sewer pipe roots
at bay.

The discharge from my water softener after re-generation will kill the
grass, plants, etc. The discharge line goes into our public sewer
lines, because of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:45:11 -0500, "Noel" wrote:

I'd take a serious look at wasting anymore of your time, in an attempt to
kill a tree pouring brine water down a sewer.

The OP is not trying to kill the tree, only keep to sewer pipe roots
at bay.

LOL..... Glad you verified what he wrote 2 hrs ago.

The discharge from my water softener after re-generation will kill the
grass, plants, etc. The discharge line goes into our public sewer
lines, because of it.

Probably discharges into a sewer, because you are not allowed by code to
discharge any other way. Some areas allow gray/grey water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily believe that. My thought is that the crystals
in the drain will dissolve slowly over a period of hours or
days. Sustained release. One house I did some work, they had
a "clean out" in the cellar. I was able to use a bit of
crystal drano, and a cardboard tube to pour a bunch of Drano
into the clean out. That seemed to help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

It takes a long time to flush 25 lbs of rock salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow! Real life experience.

Maybe use the root remover stuff from the hardware, instead?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Noel" wrote in message

Where did you come up with this idea?

I work for a D.O.T. We brine our interstates b/4 a snow
storm @ a rate of
20 gallons per lane mile. I'll put down an average of 30+
tons of salt,
prewetting at a rate of 10 gallons of brine per ton during a
12 hr shift.
Typically, a 40 lane mile interstate will get anywhere from
100 to 120 tons
of salt thrown down in a 24 hr period. We don't have a bit
of problem with
weeds/trees/grass growing along the interstates. We have to
mow/weedwack/ &
spray to kill the stuff.

I'd take a serious look at wasting anymore of your time, in
an attempt to
kill a tree pouring brine water down a sewer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 9:49*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I don't follow the logic on this.
The drain...drains.
And if it's something like shower water, only a half inch or so
of rise in the pipe is likely to happen.
That's why I've never been impressed with dumping a load of
anything down.

When I lived a an old house, the local old timers swore by copper
sulfate. The local hardware store stocked it as an algaecide for
the ponds, so it was about $2 for a pound of it.
It can cause corrosion in the tank, but a few crystals in the toilet
bowl overnight, and then a big bolus of the solution goes down
in the morning.
Some of the oldsters would crunch a crystal up and sprinkle it in
after a flush, so the next flush would have a good supply of it in
solution.
Copper sulfate is being discouraged for that sorta thing nowadays,
because of it maybe causing a problem to a treatment plant.
YMMV
flush, for the next flush
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 5:41*pm, Michael B wrote:
[...]

If the roots are in such a position as to catch toilet paper and
eventually cause a clog, then they're probably low enough to be
saturated by the salt solution. Since the root's goal for being in the
pipe in the first place is for access water, they're probably not
hanging out at the top of the pipe where the water never reaches.

For $4 and a half hour's work a few times a year, I'm willing to try
the suggestion. If I have to go back to the $40 to rent a snake and
the work and mess involved with that, I'll know it didn't work, but I
won't be out all that much.

To me, it's worth a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:51:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 14, 8:16*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:28:17 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
Multi-day? *I just posted it at 9:49 AM EST today.

How could it be multi-day less than 10 hours later?

Not today, but salt in the pipe questions over multi-days.

Hope your daughter feels better. *Chicken soup is good.

Got it!

Thanks for the get well comment! I'll pass it along.

Minestrone soup is also good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:54:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

I go upstairs to discover that my daughter woke up with a fever and
took the day off from school!

So much for a solid 7 hours of salt water sitting in the drain. I
swear I heard the roots snickering as I left the house.

One flush probably won't matter anyway.
Are you sure that shower dumps into the sewer line?
Have to use the toilet for the salt in my place.
Sink line (all but toilets) goes to a catch basin first.

--Vic

"One flush probably won't matter anyway"

It wasn't the 1 flush that I was "concerned" with. It's the shower
she'll take, the other flushes, etc.

I assumed with a fever she wouldn't be showering, and you would have
told her not to flush the toilet until the remaining 6 hours and 55
minutes expired.

The point of my attempt at humor was that I was planning on 7 hours of
no movement in the drain and instead there will someone home using
water.

Oh, I got that. Didn't leave you a LMAO because you've suffered
enough. Besides, I'm old enough that kind of thing is almost par for
the course. Think they call it "Kelly's Law" or sumptin.

It's really no big deal, just another perfect plan gone awry.

Something to remember and keep you on your toes.
You should act like an electrician working on a 440V machine.
Lock it out.
Which reminds me, I thought I lost my little stupid dog today.
I was in and out a couple times and then noticed she was missing.
Thought maybe she went between my legs and ran down the street.
She's really dumb, so would never find her way home.
I opened the bedroom door, and she was sitting there waiting for
somebody to open the door. Too stupid to bark her way out.
She only barks when it serves no purpose.
I had "locked her in."
Coincidentally, she had been sitting there 7 hours.
Your salt should have been so lucky.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

A watch is a device business people use to
create anxiety in themselves. Now days, replaced
by cell phones, and Ipads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message

Actually the thread is multi-day. multi-threaded.

P.S. What is a watch?

Multi-day? I just posted it at 9:49 AM EST today.

How could it be multi-day less than 10 hours later?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes the only getting well is to stay in bed,
and sleep the clock around. But, chicken soup
helps too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Hope your daughter feels better. Chicken soup is good.

Got it!

Thanks for the get well comment! I'll pass it along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last time I had a wicked fever, I spent a lot of time in the
shower, cranked up hot. That's about the only way to stop
shivering.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message ...

I assumed with a fever she wouldn't be showering, and you
would have
told her not to flush the toilet until the remaining 6 hours
and 55
minutes expired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did your little Darwin dog manage to hold its
gut for seven hours? On second thought, maybe
I don't want to know.

I was house watching for a couple friends, and
couldn't find the dog. So, I went back to the
front door, and pushed the door bell. Followed
the sound of the dog barking.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message ...

Something to remember and keep you on your toes.
You should act like an electrician working on a 440V
machine.
Lock it out.
Which reminds me, I thought I lost my little stupid dog
today.
I was in and out a couple times and then noticed she was
missing.
Thought maybe she went between my legs and ran down the
street.
She's really dumb, so would never find her way home.
I opened the bedroom door, and she was sitting there waiting
for
somebody to open the door. Too stupid to bark her way out.
She only barks when it serves no purpose.
I had "locked her in."
Coincidentally, she had been sitting there 7 hours.
Your salt should have been so lucky.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:56:24 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Did your little Darwin dog manage to hold its
gut for seven hours? On second thought, maybe
I don't want to know.

Seven hours is well within limits for my dogs.
They get out at 5AM, 3PM and 10PM, sometimes more.
I give them all the time they want when I take them out.
Wife complains sometimes when the little one takes too long,
The big dog already peed and crapped 3 times, while the little dog
prances around looking for a truck to bark at.
I tell the wife to lighten up.
When somebody is telling her to pee or crap on demand then she can
complain.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:54:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Last time I had a wicked fever, I spent a lot of time in the
shower, cranked up hot. That's about the only way to stop
shivering.

What ever works. I get dressed warm and get under covers.
Been a real long time since I had a fever.

--Vic