Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The best laid plans of Rock Salt and Drains

In the continuing saga of my "roots in the drain" issue, I decided to
apply the first 25 lbs of dissolved salt this morning just prior to
leaving for work.

Last night I put a 20 gallon storage tub on my dolly, filled it about
half way with hot water via a hose from the utility sink with the plan
to roll it over to the shower stall this morning. I even did a "dry
run" to make sure I could get it into position to dump it.

This morning, just before leaving for work, I went upstairs to make
sure everyone was gone. As usual, all the bedroom doors were closed to
keep the dog's out. I checked my son's room to make sure he had left
for work. My wife's car was gone so she had left to drop my daughter
off at school and then go to work. OK, we're all set.

So, I carefully roll the sloshing tub across the basement, slide it
part way off the dolly onto the lip of the shower stall and slowly
dump the water down the drain. I rinse the stall briefly with some
clean water and wipe it down with a old towel. Damn you roots! Suck on
that all day.

Then, just as I am walking out of the bathroom I hear a toilet flush!
WTF?

I go upstairs to discover that my daughter woke up with a fever and
took the day off from school!

So much for a solid 7 hours of salt water sitting in the drain. I
swear I heard the roots snickering as I left the house.