Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT - HELP !!! I'm falling and can't get up!!!!

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:iidroi$lm$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service,
can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for
sale at less than $10.

TDD

Point is that a phone on the kitchen counter is no help. How are you
nailingit to the person in potential need of it? A clickable button on a
string around the neck is easier.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:iidrd6$rsf$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Don't fool around with a head injury my friend, if you get dizzy or feel
any lasting ill effects, please get checked out. You could at least give
your doctor a call and let him/her know what happened to you and ask for
their advice. I hope you're OK.

Ed, I second that advice ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 2/2/2011 2:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Han" wrote in message
Frank wrote in news:iic4r6$mno$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

My dad, when in his 80's fell in the snow his parking lot and though
unhurt could not get up and it was 15 minutes before someone found

him.

Make them wear an alert thingy. It works!

--
Best regards
Han

My wife fell in the driveway and had quite a wait. Now, she it not
allowed to even go to the mailbox without a cellphone. She's had a
couple of issues to warrant that.

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service,
can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for
sale at less than $10.

TDD

Fry's was selling Verizon camera phones made by Samsung for $7. I bought a
whole bunch. There's one in each glove compartment and I gave one to an
elderly friend who had a spontaneous fall on the way to the kitchen and was
lying there until his daughter found him. Got a little belt pouch for it so
he can have it with him all the time.

Since they're prepaid, there's no worry that someone will break into the car
and take them and run up a huge cellphone bill. I haven't activated any of
them simply because despite the bold letters that say "Pay only on the days
you use it" they've rigged it so that money evaporates from the account the
second it's activated. VW is the worst cell phone carrier in the world but
they also have the best coverage.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

We got hit pretty hard over night (Monday night)
with freezing rain that turned to ice. . . .
We had 300 emergency room visits today in our
city from people falling and getting hurt on the ice.

I didn't go to the ER, but I did get a concussion yesterday. Slipped on

ice
under the snow and was on my back before I even realized I was falling,
banged the back of my head on the ice. Scary for a few seconds because at
first, I could not move at all. I'll have some effects for a few days, at
least. I'm not going out at al today.

Ouch! Same thing happened to me. One moment I was walking upright and the
next thing I knew I was flat on my back. Didn't hit my head very hard
though, but oh what a sore butt. Any time you hit your head so hard you end
up stunned or unconcious, you need to be checked out. A friend ended up
with with they call a contre-coup concussion:

http://www.braininjury.com/injured.html

That's when the brain sloshes around so hard from the impact that injury
occurs on the side opposite to the original blow. Sometimes symptoms don't
show right away. Katherine Graham, former publisher of the Washington Post,
slipped on the ice and cracked her skull a few years back and died as a
result. Ice is far more dangerous than people realize. Unless you *have*
to be out in it, stay inside and wait for a thaw.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 2/2/2011 11:23 AM, DGDevin wrote:

Remember the old clamp on roller skates? Mountain
climbers have something called "crampons" which
strap on like the old roller skates. But which have
wicked sharp points to dig into ice.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,51676,40911

I could have used them during our last ice storm recently where I
slipped on my steep driveway. Fortunately I landed on all fours
and only received a few scrapes. I was a lot more careful after
that and stayed in until the danger passed. :-)

I keep a gallon jug of plain kitty litter on hand and spread it out ahead of
me as I walk. Works great on flat ice, not so great on the uneven stuff
that forms on top of thawed and refrozen hard-packed snow. I keep a bag of
it in the trunks of our cars this time of year, along with a fully charged
12V battery so that I can jump those in need without having to mate our two
cars together electrically. Hell, I've even ended up jumping my own battery
when I inadvertently left the interior lights on one time. There's nothing
like extreme cold to knock the remaining life out of a marginal car battery.
It's a bad feeling when you're out in the middle of cold, dark nowhere and
you turn the key only to hear: rrrrrrrrr, rrrrr, rrr, click, click,
click.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 9:02 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in news:iidroi$lm$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service,
can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for
sale at less than $10.

TDD

Point is that a phone on the kitchen counter is no help. How are you
nailingit to the person in potential need of it? A clickable button on a
string around the neck is easier.

I agree, I used to sell them in the alarm industry but cellphones are so
small now, it would be easy to make up a little holster that could be
worn around a persons neck.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I think I saw somewhere an emergency call button that works on the
cellphone system. The emergency call pendants I sold years ago are
connected to the home's POTS line and don't work when the land line
is out. I believe there's added safety with a unit that works on the
cellphone system.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 9:46 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Ice like we had is rare here in Alabamastan. There is news of some
arriving today, already black ice on some bridges. :-(

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring *wrote in message
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Hey DUF, we are over 50deg North and 50 degf today. The sun shines on
the righteous!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - HELP !!! my car can't get up!!!!

I love those battery booster packs. HF ones are
useless. I did get a better one from Napa, which
has been used several times.

You afraid of getting HIV from other cars, doing
unprotected jump starts?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message

along with a fully charged 12V battery so that I
can jump those in need without having to mate
our two cars together electrically. Hell, I've
even ended up jumping my own battery when I
inadvertently left the interior lights on one time.
There's nothing like extreme cold to knock the
remaining life out of a marginal car battery. It's
a bad feeling when you're out in the middle of
cold, dark nowhere and you turn the key only
to hear: rrrrrrrrr, rrrrr, rrr, click, click,
click.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 10:46 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 2/2/2011 11:23 AM, DGDevin wrote:

Remember the old clamp on roller skates? Mountain
climbers have something called "crampons" which
strap on like the old roller skates. But which have
wicked sharp points to dig into ice.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,51676,40911

I could have used them during our last ice storm recently where I
slipped on my steep driveway. Fortunately I landed on all fours
and only received a few scrapes. I was a lot more careful after
that and stayed in until the danger passed. :-)

I keep a gallon jug of plain kitty litter on hand and spread it out ahead of
me as I walk.

A couple snows ago I couldn't get home because of the ice at one 100'
section of road that goes uphill and around two 90º turns. Got the
kitty litter spread thinly about 6 feet and I got the car 30 feet.
Sprinkle some more and I made it to the top of the little hill.

My driveway is much longer and steeper but I had plowed that early and
the sun, even behind the clouds had everything melted. I'm very lucky
my driveway faces almost perfectly south. Although if it's really cold
and only 1" of snow, I still have to plow it so the sun hits the
blacktop and melts the ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 1:56 PM, harry wrote:

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Eeess no my fault Señor Harry! :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I love those battery booster packs. HF ones are
useless. I did get a better one from Napa, which
has been used several times.

I bought two Wagan's booster packs. Total waste of $.

You afraid of getting HIV from other cars, doing
unprotected jump starts?

Way back when, my roommate jump started someone's car and his whole
electrical system got "fried". Whether that was because it was a POS Volvo
or something touched that shouldn't (or it was an unrelated event) I don't
know, but since then, I've only jumped others from a standalone battery.
The other advantage is that I can jumpstart myself if I do something stupid
that kills the battery.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

And the best part about kitty litter is that it's recyclable. When all the
ice finally melts, I can sweep it off the steps and reuse it for the next
storm. Doesn't eat away at the concrete either although I've on occasion
mixed in a little rock salt when the temps are really low. Another benefit
is that it turns dark when wet, so it helps the ice melt by absorbing
sunlight that the bare ice would normally reflect. A little messy if it
gets inside the house, but no more so than rock salt. Maybe even a little
less because it's pretty inert, chemically speaking.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:iidroi$lm$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service,
can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for
sale at less than $10.

TDD

Point is that a phone on the kitchen counter is no help. How are you
nailingit to the person in potential need of it? A clickable button on a
string around the neck is easier.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

The little Samsungs I got from VW/Fry's are just slightly larger than some
of the neck chain units I've seen. Small enough to keep clipped to my belt
or slipped into a pocket. I agree that the transponder you're talking about
is smaller and simpler to operate, but having a cellphone in your hands when
you've fallen down and can't get up can summon the exact help required. I
got a transponder unit from Smarthome but it was the most complicated thing
I've run across. It required a separate, corded POTs phone to be able to
record a personalized message and the programming instructions were spread
across several different booklets and instruction sheets. Very user
unfriendly and, as a result, never got used. Still is sitting in the
closet.

I got a prepaid cell for an elderly friend instead of a transponder because
he expressed a fear that a transponder would simply dial 911 and summon the
fire department who would then axe his door down (really - no jest!). I
know there are some more expensive units that allow voice contact, and that
the dialers can be set to dial friends and family or 911, but I still prefer
having a phone.

The upshot of all this is whether it's a cell phone or a necklace
transponder, it's a good idea to be able to contact help in case of an
emergency. I spent two hours crumpled up on the basement floor next to the
dryer when I ruptured a disc. That convinced me that it was smart to have
*some* way to get help if you're alone and immobilized. For a while I used
a cordless phone but not a single one I've seen has keyboard lockout. Clip
it to your belt and you'll soon be dialing someone or taking the phone off
hook simply because you bumped into something. If anyone has a cordless
that has a bump-proof keypad, I'd love to hear about it.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of years ago, my sister and her husband (who live in
Michigan) got some YakTrax and say they are great. I see there are
several models, but I think they got the basic one:

http://www.yaktrax.com/walker

Should be $15 or less. Currently $13 at Sierra Trading Post, and if
you know where to find the current free shipping question, you never
need to pay for shipping.

Apparently these are much easier to carry around than real crampons.
I'm sure they would not be sufficiently reliable or durable for
serious ice climbing etc, but that's not what they are intended for.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
[...]

Bobby, your points are well-taken. Just as another consideration,
cellphone reception in my home is poor, and in the basement probably
absent or at least as bad as atrocious.
Sorry about your disc problem. I had several attacks of sciatica myself,
and haven't enjoyed any of them ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
[...]

That's a good point - I get great cellphone reception on Verizon all
throughout the house - even in the basement because they have a tower right
near the house. ATT - no so good. It's something to check thoroughly
before adopting a cell phone as an emergency measure. Fortunately the
prepaid Samsungs allow you to operate the camera, check signal strength and
so on without activating them.

As for back problems, I brought it on myself by raking up seventeen 39 gal.
bags of leaves in one day. Later, when I went to take the clothes out of
the dryer I bent over and down I went, like a sack of cement. As you
probably know, once a disc ruptures, you're screwed for life. If only I
wasn't such a macho idiot out to prove how many leaves I could rake in a
day. Now I never lift anything bigger than my head. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

As for back problems, I brought it on myself by raking up seventeen 39
gal. bags of leaves in one day. Later, when I went to take the
clothes out of the dryer I bent over and down I went, like a sack of
cement. As you probably know, once a disc ruptures, you're screwed for
life. If only I wasn't such a macho idiot out to prove how many
leaves I could rake in a day. Now I never lift anything bigger than
my head. (-:

So sorry for you. The cople of times with sciatica, I don't really know
what I did, except maybe overdo something or another.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in
:

As for back problems, I brought it on myself by raking up seventeen 39
gal. bags of leaves in one day. Later, when I went to take the
clothes out of the dryer I bent over and down I went, like a sack of
cement. As you probably know, once a disc ruptures, you're screwed for
life. If only I wasn't such a macho idiot out to prove how many
leaves I could rake in a day. Now I never lift anything bigger than
my head. (-:

So sorry for you. The cople of times with sciatica, I don't really know
what I did, except maybe overdo something or another.

Thanks. I don't know whether it's better to know what hurt you or not.
Sucks either way.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 11:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I didn't know they still made any non-flip cell phones without a locking
keypad. My last phone was a cheap Motorola but I don't know the model
#. I think it cost me about $20. I'm now using a $25 LG flip phone so
I don't need to worry about locking the keypad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 2/3/2011 11:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
The Daring wrote in

[...]

Sorry. I switched subjects without a "break, break." (-"

I am looking for a cordless (not cell) phone with a bump proof keypad. The
kind that has a base unit that plugs into the POTS line. A flip cordless
would be fine but I've yet to see a cordless one or a standard one with a
keypad lockout. Maybe it's a patent issue but I've seen dozens of cordless
phones and owned quite a few. Not a single one offers any protection
against accidentally key "bumps" and worse, still, redial seems to the
button that gets pressed accidentally the most.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2011 4:11 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 2/3/2011 11:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
The Daring wrote in

[...]

OK, now I understand. I have the same problem with my cordless phones
when I leave one clipped to my belt. Lucky for me I normally hit "off"
or "talk". "talk" by itself just gives it a dial tone, doesn't call anyone.