Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT - HELP !!! I'm falling and can't get up!!!!

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

We got hit pretty hard over night (Monday night)
with freezing rain that turned to ice. . . .
We had 300 emergency room visits today in our
city from people falling and getting hurt on the ice.

I didn't go to the ER, but I did get a concussion yesterday. Slipped on

ice
under the snow and was on my back before I even realized I was falling,
banged the back of my head on the ice. Scary for a few seconds because at
first, I could not move at all. I'll have some effects for a few days, at
least. I'm not going out at al today.

Ouch! Same thing happened to me. One moment I was walking upright and the
next thing I knew I was flat on my back. Didn't hit my head very hard
though, but oh what a sore butt. Any time you hit your head so hard you end
up stunned or unconcious, you need to be checked out. A friend ended up
with with they call a contre-coup concussion:

http://www.braininjury.com/injured.html

That's when the brain sloshes around so hard from the impact that injury
occurs on the side opposite to the original blow. Sometimes symptoms don't
show right away. Katherine Graham, former publisher of the Washington Post,
slipped on the ice and cracked her skull a few years back and died as a
result. Ice is far more dangerous than people realize. Unless you *have*
to be out in it, stay inside and wait for a thaw.

--
Bobby G.