Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV repairable?

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PE" wrote:
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

See if the problem can be influenced by vibration. Smack the set on it's
side to see if you can influence it. If so turn the lights out and look
inside the vents. See if you can see small sparks that could be a bad
solder joint. Because the problem comes and goes it may very well be a bad
solder joint or connection. Be safe. If you don't know of the dangers
involved then stay away from the repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 8:57*pm, Fred wrote:
"PE" wrote:
[...]

Bowing in of the sides of the picture has nothing to do with the crt ,
it is the deflection yoke (coils) at the base of the tube that move
the beam from one side to the other and top to bottom. Have you
tried running the set with the back loose enough to greatly lower the
internal temperature, and see what effect that has.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/2011 10:05 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:57 pm, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The real answer, sadly (it offends me to say this) that it's likely not
*worth* repairing, as you can likely get an equivalent size widescreen
1080i flat screen that won't require a DTV converter box for $300 or less.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:18:08 -0800, "PE" wrote:

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

Since a little after vacuum tubes went out, there's not much you can
do unless you have some electronics skills or want to learn them.
Back in 1980 a buddy gave me my first color TV, but it had no color.
There was a repair shop and I took it there after the mechanical
tuner screwed up. That guy fixed the tuner and replaced the "color
chip" for $75. Good deal, since a TV like that was about $300.
Now you can a much better CRT TV for $50-100 at a thrift shop.
I've got a perfectly working 27" Magnavox in one room my wife paid
$30 bucks for, and a 30" Bell-Howell in another room that my son
picked up for $100 at a place called Cash Converters around here.
Not a pawn shop, but you they'll pay for used working electronics and
other crap.
Add $10 for a universal remote and you're set.
I've got perfectly good 18" and 21" CRT monitors that I paid good
money for sitting idle because I got flat screen replacements as
gifts. Kinda ****ed me off but I couldn't say anything.
Wouldn't look right. Waste of money to me.
Probably be a waste of money for you to get that fixed.
I've got a 27" CRT TV in my bedroom that I was sure needed replacement
about a year ago when it would go blank.
Smacked it a few times and it hasn't acted up in months.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Jan 16, 8:57 pm, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, but don't give the impression that replacing the yoke will solve
this, because he might go do it, even though yokes are expensive. I
think it more likely it is the circuit that powers the yoke.

tried running the set with the back loose enough to greatly lower the
internal temperature, and see what effect that has.

The real answer, sadly (it offends me to say this) that it's likely not
*worth* repairing, as you can likely get an equivalent size widescreen
1080i flat screen that won't require a DTV converter box for $300 or less.

Maybe, but this is a "repair" group. Some of us live to repair.

STill, what I would do at my stage is nothing, and figure a few
minutes of distorted picture is nothing, and I'd watch it the way it
is until it got intolerably worse, or I got a free tv somewhere.

When I was eager to repair tvs, I might have tried looking for swollen
nd broken capactitrs, or signs of burned parts, but otoh by 15 years
ago, everything may have been in an integrated circuit.

OP, whatever you do rememeber that the picture tube holds thousands of
volts, even after the set is turned off and unplugged. The picture
tube is one big capacitor. I've always deeply avoided the thick red
wire that goes to the picture tube, and I've always avoided the whole
surface of the picture tube also. Especially if it is dust covered.
Maybe dust conducts elecricity, for all I know. (It has 15 to 20
thousand volts when running, maybe more for a picture tube as big as
yours.)

The yoke also has a couple thousand volts on some leads, but only when
the tv is on IIUC. YOu can always use a voltmeter to check on that,
but not so much the picture tube, whose voltage tends to be hidden
under a big rubber wafer at one the picture tube end. There used to
be a metal cage at the other end, for the tech's safety, but those
went away 20 or 30? years ago to save weight. It's also hard without
a lot of experience, more than I have, to fix these things without a
schematic, and they are about 30 dollars last I looked, years ago.

It stinks, doesn't it?

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"PE" wrote in message
m...
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

If you can find the problem and repair it yourself, it may be worth it. If
you have to pay for repair, it is not worth investing much in a 15 year old
set. There are some amazing prices on 42" sets now and the picture quality
for HD is a huge step up.

When my old CRT got fried after a power surge, I was happy to buy a new set.
After 6 months, I'm still amazed at the picture quality with HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 11:08*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"PE" wrote in message

m...

[...]

After 6 months, I'm still amazed at the picture quality with HD.- Hide quoted text -

besides a brand new LCD tv of the same size will save lots of
electric. the savings on your electric bill might just pay for the
replacement over a few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

I'll bet it is a bad capacitor, fixed hundreds of video game monitors
with similar symptoms. Most of the time we don't even test the caps,
look for parts of the circuit board that look like they run hot, then
replace all caps in that area. Also replace all caps rated for 100
volts or higher, they go bad much more often. Also if you know your way
around a monitor, be sure to change the caps in the vertical and
horizontal circuitry. For newbies in the video game monitor repairs,
lot's of people put together a list of all the common caps that fail on
that particular model and sell you a bag of caps and a picture showing
what goes where. The "cap kits" will fix several problems at once,
including problems you didn't notice yet but are about to go.

Actually my TV is doing the same as yours but it stays that way. When
it quits I'll probably take a look inside, but chances are I'll toss it
and get a new one instead of fixing mine. TV's have a lot more
components than cheap video game monitors and aren't as easy to fix (not
for me anyway).

OH, no way is that a sign of a bad CRT, and no way is the yoke itself
bad, just the circuitry that powers the yoke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"PE" wrote

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently
developed a problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being
turned on, the picture bows inward on the left and right sides.

If you can find the problem and repair it yourself, it may be worth
it. If you have to pay for repair, it is not worth investing much in
a 15 year old set. There are some amazing prices on 42" sets now
and the picture quality for HD is a huge step up.

I'm with you. Santa got me a 37" LED/LCD and it didn't cost much
more than $500. Wattage on the 27" old tv, 180 Watts; new tv,
56 Watts.

When my old CRT got fried after a power surge, I was happy to buy a
new set. After 6 months, I'm still amazed at the picture quality with
HD.

If only I could remember the HD channel numbers that carry my
usual channels. Getting there.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 18:18, PE wrote:
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on.

This looks like a problem with the automatic degaussing circuit.
Electromagnets are energized when power is first applied to remove any
stray magnetic fields from the CRT. The degausser should be deactivated
by the time the CRT warms up. Usually a thermistor (a fairly
inexpensive component) is the culprit. If you have service information
(e.g. a schematic) you may be able to fix it inexpensively.

But, as others have pointed out, it's not economically practical to put
much effort into repairing such a technologically obsolete device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PE wrote:
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently
developed a problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being
turned on, the picture bows inward on the left and right sides. Then,
after a few more minutes, the picture resolves and returns to
normal and remains perfect for the remaining time the tv is on. If
the symptom described above means the crt is wearing out, so be it,
the set will soon be history. However, I'm wondering whether some
other, replaceable part, might be going bad and causing the
temporarily distorted picture.
Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering
skills, and have done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks
for your replies!

Check the model and chassis number online, there are a number of databases
describing faults common with various models. Ask on
sci.electronics.repair, they may have a general idea.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 10:25 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

You beat me to the bad capacitors. 15 years is a darn good life for
consumer grade electrolytic capacitors. I had a customer who's Viewsonic
LCD monitor on his server/office computer died after a year.
I thought it a shame to toss a nice monitor so a little Google search
turned up a common problem with an electrolytic in the power circuit
on the main circuit board. The store had a problem with recurring power
surges and even though there is good surge protection on the computer
system, what can get past the surge arresters will damage some
components. I believe it was a 100uf 16volt electrolytic and when
looking at the circuit board I noticed lands on the board for a parallel
capacitor. I installed two 47uf 35volt caps and there have
been no more problems with the monitor.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In message , Bob
writes
On 1/16/2011 18:18, PE wrote:
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on.

This looks like a problem with the automatic degaussing circuit.
Electromagnets are energized when power is first applied to remove any
stray magnetic fields from the CRT. The degausser should be deactivated
by the time the CRT warms up. Usually a thermistor (a fairly
inexpensive component) is the culprit. If you have service information
(e.g. a schematic) you may be able to fix it inexpensively.

But, as others have pointed out, it's not economically practical to put
much effort into repairing such a technologically obsolete device.

It's more like a problem with the 'pincushion' correction circuit (if
the set has one). This allows you to set the edges of the picture so
they are vertical (and horizontal), and not bowed inwards or outwards.
The adjustment control could be a small preset potentiometer, which has
a dirty (intermittent) contact. A quick twiddle might clear the problem.

However, the problem might be any of the components or soldered joints
in that part of the circuit. I recall that, when it was 6 months old, my
18" Sony suddenly developed pincushion distortion, and this turned out
to be a small, faulty 10 microfarad capacitor. Diagnosis was only an
'inspired guess', but replacement fixed it.

But, as others have said, unless you're really into electronics, maybe
it's time to treat yourself to a new, flat-screen set. If you spend some
time carefully setting up the picture, you'll quickly become accustomed
to the 'different' picture quality - and maybe eventually learn to like
it!
--
Ian
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 8:18*pm, "PE" wrote:
Hi all: *My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. *Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. *If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. *However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. *Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. *Thanks for your replies!

In considering a new tv a 32 will be more equivilant in height to your
27, you will be unhappy with a new 27. You can get a new 32 for 300,
and have HD, a digital HD tuner, and alot lot better picture, I would
not fix it, whats next to break. A new 32 might also use 1/4- 1/2 the
power as your clunker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:25:37 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

To be accurate, the problem is low voltage in the horizontal
deflection circuit. MOST likely capacitor related, but there are
numerous other components that can cause it - some of which are more
temperature sensitive than capacitors - and bad solder joints do fit
the category.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 05:06:55 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 16, 8:18Â*pm, "PE" wrote:
Hi all: Â*My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Â*Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. Â*If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. Â*However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Â*Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Â*Thanks for your replies!

In considering a new tv a 32 will be more equivilant in height to your
27, you will be unhappy with a new 27. You can get a new 32 for 300,
and have HD, a digital HD tuner, and alot lot better picture, I would
not fix it, whats next to break. A new 32 might also use 1/4- 1/2 the
power as your clunker

But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if
that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

Google might work. I fixed a couple of DTV converter boxes by googling
the problem and found a cap that failed in all of them. Likewise
replacing caps is a common problem in switching supplies (Mac supplies
in particular) although that is not the issue here. Claire is close to
having this nailed, the symptoms are almost classic.

Capacitors have gotten a lot smaller for the same ratings, I suppose
it's not to be unexpected that they would fail more often. The digital
stuff in particular as switching supplies are hard on them.

Not sure how long modern HV sections hold a charge, but some caution
should be exercised.

Jeff

The store had a problem with recurring power
surges and even though there is good surge protection on the computer
system, what can get past the surge arresters will damage some
components. I believe it was a 100uf 16volt electrolytic and when
looking at the circuit board I noticed lands on the board for a parallel
capacitor. I installed two 47uf 35volt caps and there have
been no more problems with the monitor.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

I just reread his post and I've seen the same symptoms caused by cold
solder joints. After a warm up the device starts working correctly but
it will GRONK if you jar or slap it hard. I used to repair a lot of two
way radio gear and when I finished repairing a problem, I would smack
the unit against my carpet covered work bench much to the consternation
of the other techs in the shop. I explained to them that the radio was
going to get a lot rougher treatment in the field. I've also seen a lot
of very strange thermal intermittent malfunctions.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

*But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if
that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.-

my wife wanted a entertainment center i refused, 5 months later the tv
died and we upsized, which would of been impossible with a
entertainment center

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

Yes caps in switching power supplies are common problems. Usually from
ESR (equivalent series resistance) which shows up with high frequencies,
like in switching power supplies. Many common replacement caps will
already be failing that test but work for a while. They make special
caps for circuits sensitive to ESR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

In my findings 99.9% of the time it was a bad cap, and while at it I
changed other caps that had a history of failing. I've also found caps,
especially ones that suffer from ESR are very temperature sensitive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

One particular monitor with cap problems had 2 caps parallel. I think
the one was 100uf and the other 220uf. I'd find them on my bench where
they had been replaced with one 330uf cap. Sometimes they worked, and
sometimes they didn't. I don't claim to know why but I always guessed
it had something to do with ESR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18*pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.- Hide quoted text -

You really might then be unhappy with a 27 lcd, as I think its near 5"
shorter, you should look into it first. Thats what happened to me. Or
get a 55"-65" tv and use a saw. I think 55 is the way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18 pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

Yup, Hang a big screen on the wall and get on with life, buy one on
line and have it delivered to your front door and you will be watching
it this time Thursday. Over the air TV isn't all that bad anymore, if
you are within reasonable distance from a big city it's worth an antenna
to get the sub channels. Get a computer with remote keyboard and mouse
and plug it in and you can get some pretty decent online streaming sites
blue ray and of course game boxes for the grandkids and surround sound
and a dozen other things.
I saw a really nice big screen Sony CRT/with pedestal at the 2nd hand
store, not a thing wrong with it except for the SD screen showing all
those old 486 raster lines for 49.99 a while back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18Â*pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

Â*But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if
that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.- Hide quoted text -

You really might then be unhappy with a 27 lcd, as I think its near 5"
shorter, you should look into it first. Thats what happened to me. Or
get a 55"-65" tv and use a saw. I think 55 is the way to go.

I got it and I'm happy with it. It is a 28" Hanspree 16:10 ratio (a
lot better than the "monitor" sizing of 16:9)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:04:29 -0600, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18 pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

Except in this particular room (basement rec-room/office) the wall
where the TV is has a window in it (covered by a set of shutters). The
bottom of the shutters are about 4 feet from the floor and the room is
only 11 feet wide.. Hard to get more than 12 feet from the screen too.

Upstairs in the living room we have a 42 inch plasma on top of the
fake electric fireplace. Same sized room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 12:04*pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18 pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

those old 486 raster lines for 49.99 a while back.- Hide quoted text -

Over air HD 720p is a good quality picture, he has internet, Netflix
is only 9 bucks a month, better than going to blockbuster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:08*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
The real answer, sadly (it offends me to say this) that it's likely not
*worth* repairing, as you can likely get an equivalent size widescreen
1080i flat screen that won't require a DTV converter box for $300 or less..

Yeah, it's only *worth* repairing if that's what gets you off, but
then you become that weird TV guy whose house is stacked with old sets
awaiting repair, and your hair is sticking straight out from one too
many encounters with the high-voltage on the CRT.

The state of affairs is such that the low failure rate and low cost to
manufacture "durable" goods these days, that it's cheaper to replace
the few that fail with new units than it is to staff and stock a
repair facility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:21:56 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes

I got it and I'm happy with it. It is a 28" Hanspree 16:10 ratio (a
lot better than the "monitor" sizing of 16:9)

Isn't the other way around ('traditional' monitor 16:10, 'proper' TV
16:9)?

well if you buy a wide-screen monitor it is usually 16:9
A wide screen TV is usually 16:9
There are some 16:10 in each.
Mine is 16:10 - which means it is higher for the same width, which in
my case is what I was looking for.
Most of the wide-screen monitors offered for sale today are 16:9 (I
guess so people can watch HDTV on them)

This TV was the only 28" 16:10 I could find "locally" - I only had to
drive 68 miles one way to pick it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PE wrote:

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

If the problem gets better suddenly, then look for bad solder joints
(can be invisible without strong light and a magnifying glass), but if
it gradually improves, suspect a worn-out capacitor. As people much
more knowledgeable have said, the fault is in the horizontal
deflection circuitry. The PC board should be labelled by section, or
you can trace the 4-6 wire cable going to the yoke of the CRT (yoke is
that big coil around the neck).

Be careful not to let the TV fall forward, which it can easily do
because its center of gravity is only 2" behind the screen. One
person mentioned placing a CRT on a bed and seeing it fall forward and
tumble to the floor, so either place it on a solid horizontal surface,
or place it face-down on a soft surface.

Apparently Japanese CRT TVs at least 15 years old were built better
than newer ones and had CRTs that would last a long, long time. I'm
still using a 34-year-old Sanyo that still works well and has needed
only 2 new capacitors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I forgot to mention that your local library may have Sams Photofacts
manuals online for free, and ElektroTanya.com has many factory repair
manuals
Posted to alt.home.repair

my wife wanted a entertainment center i refused, 5 months later the tv
died and we upsized, which would of been impossible with a
entertainment center

And, I'll bet, you've been going through a living hell ever since.

Remember, if you're unhappy and your wife is happy, you are still happier
than you be if you were happy and your wife unhappy.

Getting divorced. My MAJOR OFFENSE I paid off our mortage after
inherting my moms house, I fixed it up sold it and paid off our
mortage.

My wife was permanetely ****ed, she wanted to go on a spending spree
buying stuff.

I saved the 900 buck a month mortage, but the marriage ended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP could try cold spray on various parts while set is operating but
theres high voltage hazard and its likely not worth the effort
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

It's the bowing part that lead me to think cap, but you are right that
healing like that is not really a cap thing. I've got a friend who still
fixes TVs, though mostly it's all flat panel stuff now. I'll ask if I
get a chance...

After a warm up the device starts working correctly but
it will GRONK if you jar or slap it hard. I used to repair a lot of two
way radio gear and when I finished repairing a problem, I would smack
the unit against my carpet covered work bench much to the consternation
of the other techs in the shop. I explained to them that the radio was
going to get a lot rougher treatment in the field.

It's better to know sooner than later. Toward the end of my repair
"career" I was mostly fixing giant car amps. Nothing I could do to them
could come close to the abuse they would get later! Oh, the abuse!

I've also seen a lot
of very strange thermal intermittent malfunctions.

I've used more than my share of freon tracking them down. Or not
tracking them down!

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

I got a call a little while ago from the customer who had the Viewsonic
monitor quit because of a bad electrolytic, an identical monitor on
another workstation just did the same thing. I have to pick it up today
and repair it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
In considering a new tv a 32 will be more equivilant in height to your
27, you will be unhappy with a new 27. You can get a new 32 for 300,
and have HD, a digital HD tuner, and alot lot better picture, I would
not fix it, whats next to break. A new 32 might also use 1/4- 1/2 the
power as your clunker

But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if
that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.

Ditch the entertainment center and get a 47". Bigger is definitely better.
I set out to buy a 42" and my wife was the 47" and said I want THAT one!
Done deal. Wish I could fit a 55.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 9:18 PM, PE wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Repair? In our town we get an 18 inch monitor for 79.00 on sale. What is
your hourly rate? Mine is 250.00 plus T&L minimum 2 hours.
My hobby is fixing tube gears specially guitar amps for poor local
musicians. No chaege for them. Just I let them buy necessary parts.