Posted to alt.home.repair
Jedd Haas

Default Katrina'd Sawzall - Repairable?

My Sawzall got submerged by Katrina. When I tried it out it made a faint
buzzing sound, as if trying to move, but didn't move at all. Is it worth
repairing, and if so, what are some likely areas to check? (It was
working perfectly previously.)

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA (Currently exiled on the NJ shore)
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Jedd Haas wrote:
My Sawzall got submerged by Katrina. When I tried it out it made a faint
buzzing sound, as if trying to move, but didn't move at all. Is it worth
repairing, and if so, what are some likely areas to check? (It was
working perfectly previously.)

Hi,
There is very good chance it will work again if you take it apart and
clean/lubricate.
Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
My Sawzall got submerged by Katrina. When I tried it out it made a faint
buzzing sound, as if trying to move, but didn't move at all. Is it worth
repairing, and if so, what are some likely areas to check? (It was
working perfectly previously.)

Good chance it is gunked up with mud or silt and maybe corroded a bit.
Probably bearings are either damaged, or will be damaged by anything in it.
I'd take it apart, clean it, replace bearings and give it a try.

If you are talking about a genuine Milwaukee Sawzall, it is worth fixing. If
it is a $29 copy cat recip saw, just toss it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:25:27 -0500, Jedd Haas wrote:

My Sawzall got submerged by Katrina. When I tried it out it made a faint
buzzing sound, as if trying to move, but didn't move at all. Is it worth
repairing, and if so, what are some likely areas to check? (It was
working perfectly previously.)

I've spent several hours and about thirty bucks on my Unisaw motor.
Pulled it apart, flushed it, baked the field and rotor in an oven for
six hours at 150F, replaced the bearings, capacitors, cleaned the
centrifigul switch. Put it all back together and no go. pulls enough
amperage to pop the breaker in about 5 seconds.

Also have a contractor saw, stock feeder, lathe motor, several
thousand sheets of sand paper, and a bunch of other supplies that were
submerged with the Unisaw. I think most of it is toast. Uninsured
toast.

In your case I would pull the brushes and make sure they are free and
connected and that the commutator is clean as a first step.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
I've spent several hours and about thirty bucks on my Unisaw motor.
Pulled it apart, flushed it, baked the field and rotor in an oven for
six hours at 150F, replaced the bearings, capacitors, cleaned the
centrifigul switch. Put it all back together and no go. pulls enough
amperage to pop the breaker in about 5 seconds.

Are you going to try a rebuilder? What you said you did sounds about right
but perhaps you missed something. We had a flood at work and took 18 motors
(ranging from 3 hp to 75 hp) to a repair shop. Most took two days and every
one works as good as new.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I've spent several hours and about thirty bucks on my Unisaw motor.
Pulled it apart, flushed it, baked the field and rotor in an oven for
six hours at 150F, replaced the bearings, capacitors, cleaned the
centrifigul switch. Put it all back together and no go. pulls enough
amperage to pop the breaker in about 5 seconds.

Are you going to try a rebuilder? What you said you did sounds about right
but perhaps you missed something. We had a flood at work and took 18 motors
(ranging from 3 hp to 75 hp) to a repair shop. Most took two days and every
one works as good as new.

if it is variable speed the trigger will be toast
Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:32:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
I've spent several hours and about thirty bucks on my Unisaw motor.
Pulled it apart, flushed it, baked the field and rotor in an oven for
six hours at 150F, replaced the bearings, capacitors, cleaned the
centrifigul switch. Put it all back together and no go. pulls enough
amperage to pop the breaker in about 5 seconds.

Are you going to try a rebuilder? What you said you did sounds about right
but perhaps you missed something. We had a flood at work and took 18 motors
(ranging from 3 hp to 75 hp) to a repair shop. Most took two days and every
one works as good as new.

Yes, I could have missed something. There are two in town, one is a
Marathon authorized repair center. However, the Delta induction motor
guy, (I used to work for Delta, he used to work for me, so I called
him direct) thinks the field is open, would require a rewind and might
cost more than a new motor. But I'll give it a shot, nothing
ventured, nothing gained. This was a brand new Unisaw, had never been
used. I took the rest of the saw apart and recovered it piece by
piece. Down to the motor and the mag starter that are no good. (BTW,
before you ask, I tried the motor with a known good starter)

Mitsubishi monitor is b0rked, is it repairable?.... James Sweet Electronics Repair 1 November 20th 05 06:52 PM
B&D Sawzall Ryton Woodworking 4 November 12th 05 02:15 PM
B&D Sawzall Ryton Woodworking 6 November 10th 05 10:46 PM
Sawzall recommendations SteveB Metalworking 15 December 22nd 04 05:52 PM
sawzall or reciprocating saw tips? jj3000 Metalworking 11 November 26th 03 05:13 AM