Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV repairable?

In article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:52:51 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

I still like the theater for some movies, though a lot less often since
we're
no longer seniors. $9.50 a ticket is nuts for most of the garbage
anymore.

No longer seniors? How does that work?

We got younger? ;-)

The senior ticket cut-off was 55; $4.50/ticket. They raised it to 65 a year
or so ago ($9.50) and we spend *way* less.

Movies in my hometown are $3, $2 for children and seniors.

http://www.riverfallsjournal.com/eve...blisher_ID/19/

First run?

Not opening day, but soon thereafter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2011 7:47 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/18/2011 7:52 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 1/18/2011 3:44 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 1/18/2011 12:40 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:03:16 -0700, Tony
wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:25:18 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:21:56 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In ,
writes

I got it and I'm happy with it. It is a 28" Hanspree 16:10
ratio (a
lot better than the "monitor" sizing of 16:9)

Isn't the other way around ('traditional' monitor 16:10,
'proper' TV
16:9)?
well if you buy a wide-screen monitor it is usually 16:9
A wide screen TV is usually 16:9
There are some 16:10 in each.
Mine is 16:10 - which means it is higher for the same width,
which in
my case is what I was looking for.
Most of the wide-screen monitors offered for sale today are
16:9 (I
guess so people can watch HDTV on them)

The HDTV standard is 16:9 so that's what most TVs are made for.
Computer
monitor makers are using the cheaper (economy of scale) TV panels,
making
16:10 monitors more uncommon (and even more expensive).

This TV was the only 28" 16:10 I could find "locally" - I only
had to
drive 68 miles one way to pick it up.

There is a bog difference between 16:10 and 16:9 on the desktop,
but
why a TV?
Hmm,
You can adjust display somewhat from full, h-full, zoom or 4:3 and
yet
you can adjust vertical height or horzontal spread.

And none will be right.

It's in the menu on
your TV set. If your set does not have this feature, must be El
Cheapo
set.

I know you're a moron. You need not advertise it.

Also when you go into dual diplay mode cloning laptop or your desk
top screen you need this feature useful.

My laptop is 16:10, but it's *never* been connected to a TV. It's
not
"needed" in any case.
Hi,
No video streaming? No movie watching?

Only techno-geeks and/or rich people have broadband fast enough to do
that, here in North America.

I just watched most of The Green Hornet online, I'm not rich so I must
be a techno-geek.

I wanted to watch the Sugar Bowl (alma mater playing) and it was not on
broadcast TV. But ESPN streamed it for free. Worked well enough for me.

Net Flix is fun to watch too.

I watch most TV shows online and I just checked my
cable modem speed which is 6.88/0.49 Mbps. We did have the extra cost
turbo speed for a while and I would see speeds of 17/1.5 Mbps at times.

That is still smoking speed (the down) for most streaming content.
Bandwidth is not free so this stuff is highly compressed.

After a long incubation and where the internet speeds and computer
speeds really weren't there, online video is catching on rapidly.

If I was rich or a lottery winner, I would start a "Save The Rednecks"
foundation to teach Rednecks how to use The Interweb and properly set
up a mobile home for broad band communications. :-)

We are not so far off that already the near homeless are watching on
their 4g phones. Crazy what people do and don't spend money on.

It is crazy. I put out $15 for a new cell phone. It works just fine.

I've seen prepaid cells for as little as $9.00. Golly! I seem to
remember a hand held cellphone costing more than two grand. :-)

Well, they were a big handful!

Seems like plastic and LSI's don't cost much in quantity.

I spent the extra bucks on my cell, $50. Having had a non clamshell, and
having butt dialed before my "boss", it was worth the extra money.

I have an acquaintance who is a total jerk, his voice mail was butt
dialed by someone he greatly admired. Unfortunately (or perhaps
fortunately) the call occurred while he was having a conversation of how
much better the Jerk's wife's life would be if she left him. Technology
always has unintended consequences!

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had a TracFone for years and when they switched from analog to
digital the company sent me a replacement at no charge. I made up a name
for them to send it to so I retain privacy. No contracts, no
personal information is in their record about me so they can't violate
my privacy. It's amusing to see junk mail arrive for my imaginary cell
phone customer. :-)

TDD