Geoff.C

Default tv repairable or not

Our tv occasionally only displays a bright white line directly across the
middle of the screen when turned on.Sometimes if you just leave it on , it
eventually comes good.This is happening more frequently by the month , to
the point where it happens 2 out of 3 times (who said it aint bad).What is
the electronical diagnosis and is it worth having it repaired?It's worth a
few quid($1000 AUD),a 68 cm job,with teletext and stereo of course and as is
always the case,it's past the 5 year extended warranty by about 10
months.Please tell me i can get it repaired for $1-200 and i will be a happy
chappy even if tvs are incredibly cheap at the moment.

Charles Schuler

"Geoff.C" wrote in message
Our tv occasionally only displays a bright white line directly across the
middle of the screen when turned on.Sometimes if you just leave it on , it
eventually comes good.This is happening more frequently by the month , to
the point where it happens 2 out of 3 times (who said it aint bad).What is
the electronical diagnosis and is it worth having it repaired?It's worth a
few quid($1000 AUD),a 68 cm job,with teletext and stereo of course and as

is
always the case,it's past the 5 year extended warranty by about 10
months.Please tell me i can get it repaired for $1-200 and i will be a

happy
chappy even if tvs are incredibly cheap at the moment.

Yes, that set should be worth investing the repair cost. It is losing
vertical sweep. The problem could be something as simple as a capacitor.
I'd get a repair estimate. Some shops provide them at no cost.

Fabio Totaro

I believe that any honest tv technician can fixit very quickly for a
reasonable small amount (of bucks..).
Most likely some soldering joint has wear out due to the electromigration
effect of the high current path over the
tin and lead soldering alloy. Quite a common problem.
Cheers,
Fabio

"Geoff.C" ha scritto nel messaggio
Our tv occasionally only displays a bright white line directly across the
middle of the screen when turned on.Sometimes if you just leave it on , it
eventually comes good.This is happening more frequently by the month , to
the point where it happens 2 out of 3 times (who said it aint bad).What is
the electronical diagnosis and is it worth having it repaired?It's worth a
few quid($1000 AUD),a 68 cm job,with teletext and stereo of course and as

is
always the case,it's past the 5 year extended warranty by about 10
months.Please tell me i can get it repaired for $1-200 and i will be a

happy
chappy even if tvs are incredibly cheap at the moment.

Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

It's a very easy repair job, however if you run it for long with the bright
white line you'll burn a line into the tube and it's a writeoff.

Well, I assume it's pretty boring watching a white line so maybe common
sense will prevail.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Steve Reinis

I dunno... My grandmother had an oldish (1988) Philco 27" console set that
had collapsed and she kept using the set for many months just to listen to
the audio! She would let it sit and run with this bright as can be white
line across the screen and didn't mind it at all.

I finally happened to be over at her house one day while the set was running
and I noticed what was going on. By the time I saw the set, the line was no
where near as bright as they are when they first collapse. It had *plenty*
of burn! Of all things, this was such a simple problem, too... This set
had a small switch for Service Mode that collapsed the verticle sweep and it
had shorted! Cleaning the switch returned proper operation of the set
except for a black horizontal line across the middle of the CRT...

-Steve

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
"James Sweet" writes:

It's a very easy repair job, however if you run it for long with the

bright
white line you'll burn a line into the tube and it's a writeoff.

Well, I assume it's pretty boring watching a white line so maybe common
sense will prevail.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Geoff.C

Is anyone aware of how i might go about resoldering the Vertical IC Pins and
IDing where they are located.I am of reasonable electrical aptitude and have
the required equipment.Is there a website out there or could someone who has
posted on this particular topic explain to me how i might go about it.
Help via E-mail much appreciated.
"Sarah" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Vertical collapse, resolder the vertical IC pins.

"James Sweet" writes:

It's a very easy repair job, however if you run it for long with the

bright
white line you'll burn a line into the tube and it's a writeoff.

Well, I assume it's pretty boring watching a white line so maybe

common
sense will prevail.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:

http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info:

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer

work.
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Dan

You claim to be of "reasonable electrical aptitude" then you should be able
to identify the vertical IC on its own heatsink. Inspect the PCB for any
cold/bad solder joints and resolder appropriatley. First performing a
visual inspection of the vertical area, If you have an ESR meter (a must if
you are servicing) you should check the vertical area for leakly, high ESR
electrolytics,otherwise you will have to resort to the more costly, time
consuming method of trial and error

Good luck

Dan