ap

Default smashed mailbox, repairable?

Hello,
We have a metallic mailbox that stands outside
of the house near a curved driveway...someone has
recently bumped it and there is now a dent in the
door and the bottom of it.

We flattened it a bit, but it still shows some
bulging. Are these things repairable?

Any suggestions on fixing them?

The other question I had was whether the door
and bottom of the box are sold as parts to buy & replace.

Thanks

Tom Miller

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
We have a metallic mailbox that stands outside
of the house near a curved driveway...someone has
recently bumped it and there is now a dent in the
door and the bottom of it.

We flattened it a bit, but it still shows some
bulging. Are these things repairable?

Any suggestions on fixing them?

The other question I had was whether the door
and bottom of the box are sold as parts to buy & replace.

Thanks

Write it off! Unless you are prepared to go to China (where EVERYTHING is
made) there won't be spare parts available. Buy a new one and forget it.

I second that motion, living in an area where 'Midnight Mailbox
Baseball' is a popular sport.

Go to Home Depot and purchase the cheapest mailbox that you can find --
better still, buy two -- One for now, the other is a spare for next
year!

Harry C.

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
oups.com...
I second that motion, living in an area where 'Midnight Mailbox
Baseball' is a popular sport.

Go to Home Depot and purchase the cheapest mailbox that you can find --
better still, buy two -- One for now, the other is a spare for next
year!

No, buy two--a big one and a smaller one to fit inside it.

And a bag of concrete.

--

SVL

Mailboxes are definately repairable. Just approach it is practise for
autobody work and get a book out of the library on autobody repair. I
think it takes some of the fun out of bashing mail boxes, when they see
the same box that is now restored.
Dan

James Walsh Jr.

Why not try fixing it like you would auto body sheet metal? You should be
able to buy a hammer and dolly set for less than $20 at your local Pepboys
auto parts mega mart. Just hammer away and flatten out the bent metal. Or
spend the $20 towards a new mailbox at your local DIY mega mart.

Just my .02
Thanks,
James Walsh Jr.
http://www.jigsawcustoms.com

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
We have a metallic mailbox that stands outside
of the house near a curved driveway...someone has
recently bumped it and there is now a dent in the
door and the bottom of it.

We flattened it a bit, but it still shows some
bulging. Are these things repairable?

Any suggestions on fixing them?

The other question I had was whether the door
and bottom of the box are sold as parts to buy & replace.

Thanks

Bugs

I agree with the auto repair technique. A dolly and hammer should
straighten things right out. When the local 'Youts' come around with
their baseball bats, it's time to make a replacement out of some 6"
channel iron and half a six inch steel pipe. 1/4" wall is adequate.
Paint it up nice with alum. paint and smile when you go to bed knowing
the b___st___ds will vibrate all the way back home after hitting it.
Bugs