Jeff Wisnia

Default Mailbox Fantasy Fulfilled

I was driving down a street we'd owned a home on some 20 years ago, and
turned to glance at our old abode. That's when I saw the mailbox in
front of thge house right next to our old one.

It was like a dream come true...

Like many others with streetside mailboxes we'd suffered with local
"yoots" making sport of knocking them down with their vehicles. I'd
often thought of sinking an "indestructible" post into the ground, but
listened to SWMBO's brother the lawyer, who warned me I'd likely be in
deep doo doo if someone got injured driving into it, particularly in
this liberal and litigeous state we live in. (Taxachusetts)

Apparantly whoever's living there now decided to take their chances on
that, 'cause here's what their mailbox looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mailbox2.jpg

The box looks like it's about a foot higher than USPS regs. I'd guess
that whoever sunk that I-beam into the ground ran into a big rock while
digging the hole, and didn't have anything handy to cut the beam shorter.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Richard J Kinch

Jeff Wisnia writes:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mailbox2.jpg

Wow. You won't find that kit at Home Depot.
Roger T.

This is my dream mailbox!
I'd love to see the guy's arm after he took a bat to that one, going by at
30mph!

Philip Lewis

"Roger T." writes:
This is my dream mailbox!
I'd love to see the guy's arm after he took a bat to that one,

A guy near where a friend of mine grew up (wheeling WV area) took a
pole and sank it in the ground, then ran the pole up and *into* the
mailbox. (so that the pole was all the way to just under the top of
the arch). The pole and perhaps even the shell of the mailbox was
filled with cement. Don't ask how he found out about it... at least
not until he's had a few.

The i-beam doesn't look like it's inside the mailbox in the
picture... which just means it's a smaller target. If the beam were
inside the box. it doesn't look like there would be room for mail.

--
be safe.
flip

Bo Williams

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

I used to work with a guy who was a serious hobbyist metalworker, and
one thing he did for people was build indestructible mailboxes. He did
use I-beams, but in the interest of aesthetics eventually went to a post
that had a cross-section the shape of a square with rounded corners
(sorry, don't know what this is called, but I'm sure it has a more
elegant name than that). He built the box too, not just the post.

On our way in from lunch one day he took me to the back of his truck and
showed me one he was delivering after work. Very impressive. The box
itself was made out of 1/2" thick steel, and was very well-finished.
After installation, you'd have to examine it pretty closely to know what
a brute it was. He said the whole piece--box and post--weighed 425 pounds.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/

Jeff Wisnia

Philip Lewis wrote:

The i-beam doesn't look like it's inside the mailbox in the
picture... which just means it's a smaller target. If the beam were
inside the box. it doesn't look like there would be room for mail.

No, the steel doesen't go into the box, and the box is just a crummy
black plastic one with the door ripped off it. Methinks the plastic box
may survive bat whacks and spring back better than the sheet metal ones
will.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Heathcliff

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I was driving down a street we'd owned a home on some 20 years ago,

and
turned to glance at our old abode. That's when I saw the mailbox in
front of thge house right next to our old one.

It was like a dream come true...

Like many others with streetside mailboxes we'd suffered with local
"yoots" making sport of knocking them down with their vehicles. I'd
often thought of sinking an "indestructible" post into the ground,

but

I had this problem some years ago. We lived at a 90-degree bend in the
road and people would come around the corner too fast and whack the
mailbox (or sometimes they would just kick it over for the heck of it).
After going a few rounds with the Post Office, which would not let us
move it our side of the street, etc., I decided to make a more durable
post. Not being a metal worker I used a railroad tie.

Soon thereafter someone ran into it. It was a teenage girl and she had
just crumpled the fender of Daddy's new (very modest) car. She was
unhurt but pretty darn upset and we let her use our phone to make a
tearful call home. While part of me was thinking "that'll teach her a
lesson," most of me was feeling sorry for her and regretting the whole
situation. After that I went back to a regular mailbox post. Just
something to think about.

George E. Cawthon

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Philip Lewis wrote:

The i-beam doesn't look like it's inside the mailbox in the
picture... which just means it's a smaller target. If the beam were
inside the box. it doesn't look like there would be room for mail.

No, the steel doesen't go into the box, and the box is just a crummy
black plastic one with the door ripped off it. Methinks the plastic box
may survive bat whacks and spring back better than the sheet metal ones
will.

Jeff

Yeah, but wouldn't it be fun to watch a bunch of
teenagers come down the road and swing a bat at
one of those mail boxes made of 1/2" steel
mentioned by another poster. Bat would just break
or be thrown back around with such force it would
put a heck of a dent in the car, break a window or
maybe the kid swinging it.
bumtracks

Used to hear the mail box crunch two or three times during high school
football season ... school was a couple miles away. They'd just drive over
it. Took a short chunk of rebar and beat the heck out of it bending a
decorative hook on the end and drove it next to the mail box post so the
hook was about bumper high... I'd hear the crunch and it going down the
street sometimes ... neighbors used to toss it back in my yard when they'd
see it laying in the street blocks away. From the looks of it, probably
lots of sparks from the grind marks.

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Would it be easier to wait in the bushes with a shotgun and a load of double
ought?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
[...]

Sexytom976

LOL, first good laugh I had in awhile.

Thanx.

LOL think of the situation if he's using an Aluminum bat!!!
First and last time the would mess with your mailbox.

Jason Quick

"bumtracks" wrote in message
Used to hear the mail box crunch two or three times during high school
football season ... school was a couple miles away. They'd just drive
over
it. Took a short chunk of rebar [...]

I've, uh, heard of people doing a similar thing with a snowman that was
driven over. Rebuilt the snowman, but not before driving a six-foot rebar
stake into the ground, with the top *right at* the height of the oil
pan/transfer case/muffler/differential (depending on the make) of a car.

You fill in the blanks.

Jason

MUADIB®

I've, uh, heard of people doing a similar thing with a snowman that was
driven over. Rebuilt the snowman, but not before driving a six-foot rebar
stake into the ground, with the top *right at* the height of the oil
pan/transfer case/muffler/differential (depending on the make) of a car.

When I was a kid we used to just build our snowmen around a fire
hydrant...............some of them got destroyed..............by
idiots riding around on bicycles or something..........never saw who
did it but there was definitely tracks right up next to it and a
sizeable spot in the snow indicating some sort of disturbance.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....