Isildur's Bane

Default Are bad LCD's repairable?

I am on the verge of buying a cell phone with a bad LCD. (Killed due
to extreme cold). I can tell by the pictures it's really bad. I'm 99%
confident the LCD is DOA.

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

-Isildur's Bane

jakdedert

"Isildur's Bane" wrote in message
I am on the verge of buying a cell phone with a bad LCD. (Killed due
to extreme cold). I can tell by the pictures it's really bad. I'm 99%
confident the LCD is DOA.

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

I don't know, probably nothing, as I've left my phone in the car in those
temps. Maybe some are affected; again, I dunno.

OTOH, depending on the phone, the LCD might be easily replacable. The one
on my old Nokia 51xx series just lifted off once the phone was disassmbled.
Replacement was a snap...assuming one had a source....

jak

-Isildur's Bane

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

Usually the liquid material freezes or at least stiffens up. Generally there
is no permanent harm to the display. I've used an older Ericsson cell phone
and a Compaq LTE 5000 for years in very cold weather with no problems other
than sluggish display response.

I wonder if it would be possible that the display froze up totally and broke
somewhere.

William

Ian Stirling

Isildur's Bane wrote:
I am on the verge of buying a cell phone with a bad LCD. (Killed due
to extreme cold). I can tell by the pictures it's really bad. I'm 99%
confident the LCD is DOA.

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

Some phones LCDs are very cheap.
Google
"your phone" lcd spares
Isildur's Bane

On 13 Aug 2004 22:22:45 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Isildur's Bane wrote:
I am on the verge of buying a cell phone with a bad LCD. (Killed due
to extreme cold). I can tell by the pictures it's really bad. I'm 99%
confident the LCD is DOA.

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

Some phones LCDs are very cheap.
Google
"your phone" lcd spares

chuckle. Ya, I know.

"I'm a lazy b%tard"

I'm googling now.

Isildur's Bane

Jerry Greenberg

I have left mobile phones and other equipment out in the winter over
here, and had no problems with the LCD displays. Sometimes they can
break when the unit is dropped. This also applies to the circuit
boards in the unit.

If you have a unit with a dead LCD, you do not know if it is the
display or the driver circuits behind it.

As for servicing a mobile phone, you will need the source for the
parts. If you have to go deep in to it, you will not be able to
service it at the component level. Depending on the faults you may run
in to, you may need some specialized equipment to service it.

Jerry G.
========

Isildur's Bane wrote in message . ..
I am on the verge of buying a cell phone with a bad LCD. (Killed due
to extreme cold). I can tell by the pictures it's really bad. I'm 99%
confident the LCD is DOA.

Stupid question......but what exactly happens to LCD's when the temp
dips below zero?

-Isildur's Bane

James Sweet

"Isildur's Bane" wrote in message
I decided against getting the phone. I figured I spent too much on
crap already that needs fixing.

Isildur's Bane

Sounds like a good idea. As a general rule I never pay money for broken
stuff, there's just so much of it free for the taking once you figure out
where to look.

Isildur's Bane

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:31:01 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Isildur's Bane" wrote in message
.. .
I decided against getting the phone. I figured I spent too much on
crap already that needs fixing.

Isildur's Bane

Sounds like a good idea. As a general rule I never pay money for broken
stuff, there's just so much of it free for the taking once you figure out
where to look.

Where would that be? Heh heh

"The junk collector"

-Isildur's Bane

James Sweet

wrote:

"Isildur's Bane" wrote in message
.. .
I decided against getting the phone. I figured I spent too much on
crap already that needs fixing.

Isildur's Bane

Sounds like a good idea. As a general rule I never pay money for broken
stuff, there's just so much of it free for the taking once you figure out
where to look.

Where would that be? Heh heh

"The junk collector"

-Isildur's Bane

Look on the curbs on trash day, raid the dumpster areas at apartment
complexes, ask around, post an ad in the local classifieds or on a bulletin
board at work, whenever I do that I get a constant stream of stuff until the
ad expires.

Michael A. Covington

Our county trash service charges extra to "recycle electronics." Thus, the
cost of used electronic equipment (even working things that people consider
obsolete) can be zero or negative.