Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default TV repairable?

On Jan 17, 12:04*pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Jan 17, 7:21 am, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 05:06:55 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:18 pm, "PE" wrote:
Hi all: *My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. *Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. *If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. *However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.
Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. *Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. *Thanks for your replies!
In considering a new tv a 32 will be more equivilant in height to your
27, you will be unhappy with a new 27. You can get a new 32 for 300,
and have HD, a digital HD tuner, and alot lot better picture, I would
not fix it, whats next to break. A new 32 might also use 1/4- 1/2 the
power as your clunker
*But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if
that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.- Hide quoted text -

You really might then be unhappy with a 27 lcd, as I think its near 5"
shorter, you should look into it first. Thats what happened to me. *Or
get a 55"-65" tv and use a saw. I think 55 is the way to go.

Yup, *Hang a big screen on the wall and get on with life, buy one on
line and have it delivered to *your front door and you will be watching
it this time Thursday. *Over the air TV isn't all that bad anymore, if
you are within reasonable distance from a big city it's worth an antenna
to get the sub channels. *Get a computer with remote keyboard and mouse
and plug it in and you can get some pretty decent online streaming sites
* blue ray and of course game boxes for the grandkids and surround sound
and a dozen other things.
* I saw a really nice big screen Sony CRT/with pedestal at the 2nd hand
store, not a thing wrong with it except for the SD screen showing all
those old 486 raster lines for 49.99 a while back.- Hide quoted text -

Over air HD 720p is a good quality picture, he has internet, Netflix
is only 9 bucks a month, better than going to blockbuster.