Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wall hanging outside in the wind

SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 11:14*am, Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. *Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. * I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. *Any takers?

Double-sided carpet laying tape will hold pretty well if it does not
get wet. Use the hanger and then add the tape so it doesn't take any
weight, just holds it to the building. You might have to use a piee
of foam rubber,fastening the tape to the bulding stone, then the foam,
and then another layer of tape to the housename if the stone is a very
rough surface compared to the back of the slate..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 12:14*pm, Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. *Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. * I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. *Any takers?

Would it be possible to attached a French Cleat to both surfaces?

http://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat_B.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 31, 12:14 pm, Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle
to the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Would it be possible to attached a French Cleat to both surfaces?

http://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat_B.html

use silicone to glue the piece of french cleat to the slate, and for the
opposite side to the wall. i use this technique to hang heavy glass
sculptures to vertical surfaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Matt" wrote in message
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Put a hook in the wall and hang it from the strap for appearance. Then put
a dab of polyurethane construction adhesive on the bottom two corners on the
back to keep it from blowing around. I used that stuff to build a block
wall and you won't budge it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2010 12:14 PM, Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Most secure method I can think of is to use masonry caulk to glue it to
the stone. Done properly, the caulk can later be cut to remove the
slate if desired. Keep the leather or similar hanger, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Matt wrote:

SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Hot melt glue. It's the next best thing to duct tape. Cheap, fast, easy,
can be used for a zillion things, and is removable without damage on
many surfaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 12:43*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. *Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. * I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. *Any takers?

Hot melt glue. It's the next best thing to duct tape. Cheap, fast, easy,
can be used for a zillion things, and is removable *without damage on
many surfaces.

Yews to being handy, but nmot for thi9s project. How are you going to
get the glue gun behind the slate sign to glue the sign to the stone
bulding???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2011 6:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:56 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jan 2, 12:43 pm, Smitty wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Hot melt glue. It's the next best thing to duct tape. Cheap, fast, easy,
can be used for a zillion things, and is removable without damage on
many surfaces.

Yews to being handy, but nmot for thi9s project. How are you going to
get the glue gun behind the slate sign to glue the sign to the stone
bulding???

From inside the house? ;-)

Hold the sign horizontal but nearly in position, make several little
doggy piles of glue on the back of the sign where it will line up with
the high spots on the wall, and quickly tilt it up into position and
lean on it. 2 people would make it a lot easier, and gloves and safety
glasses are recommended, in case some globs of glue go in unexpected
directions.

If that seams too scary, I'd try the two-sided foam tape used to attach
trim to car bodies.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:00:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 2, 4:56Â*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 2, 12:43Â*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,

Â*Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Â*Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. Â* I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Â*Any takers?

Hot melt glue. It's the next best thing to duct tape. Cheap, fast, easy,
can be used for a zillion things, and is removable Â*without damage on
many surfaces.

Yews to being handy, but nmot for thi9s project. Â*How are you going to
get the glue gun behind the slate sign to glue the sign to the stone
bulding???

From inside the house? ;-)

Use a big heat gun to heat the slate to the melting temp of the glue,
shoot a bead of glue on the wall, then apply the pre-heated slate,
holding in place untill it cools sufficiently to solidify.