Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hanging pictures on brick wall

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I recently moved to a 1930's house. I am trying to hang some pictures
on the walls and got a picture hanging kit from a diy store. On trying
to bang the hook nails into the wall they get so far then buckle. My
guess is that I am going through plaster and then hitting brick which
is too hard to accept the nail.

How best to hang pictures on this kind of wall? Use special masonry
nails to penetrate the brick, or drill and screw with rawl plugs? Or
some other method?

Thanks in advance for advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

wrote:
Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I recently moved to a 1930's house. I am trying to hang some pictures
on the walls and got a picture hanging kit from a diy store. On trying
to bang the hook nails into the wall they get so far then buckle. My
guess is that I am going through plaster and then hitting brick which
is too hard to accept the nail.

How best to hang pictures on this kind of wall? Use special masonry
nails to penetrate the brick, or drill and screw with rawl plugs? Or
some other method?

Thanks in advance for advice

Lightweight pictures should be OK with short nails/pins that are just held
in firm plaster. Ordinary one inch (25mm nails) can be knocked in about 75%
of the way. You will need to drill and plug into the bricks for heavyweight
pictures, or if the plaster is weak.