Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default wall hanging outside in the wind

On 12/31/2010 12:14 PM, Matt wrote:
SWMBO got a painted piece of slate with our last name, etc. that
measures about 12"x12" and has a leather picture-hanging cord. Need
to mount it outside on our stone facade next to the front door.
Problem is that it is very windy where we live, with gusts to 30mph+
very common. I need some way of securing it to the facade other than
just the leather strap hanging from a nail or it is going to rattle to
the point of driving us crazy. Any takers?

Most secure method I can think of is to use masonry caulk to glue it to
the stone. Done properly, the caulk can later be cut to remove the
slate if desired. Keep the leather or similar hanger, too.