Posted to rec.woodworking
saulgoode

Default Wall-Hanging Weight Limit

I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

- Saul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"saulgoode" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

A stud will surely hold at least 65 pounds. I would be more concerned about
the screws since they have no support in the wallboard and since they aren't
made of especially strong material.
Jim

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

- Saul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

saulgoode wrote:
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

What's the object that you want to hang? How about a french cleat?

Posted to rec.woodworking
saulgoode

Jim wrote:
"saulgoode" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

A stud will surely hold at least 65 pounds. I would be more concerned about
the screws since they have no support in the wallboard and since they aren't
made of especially strong material.

I could always use lag bolts. I just want to make sure I don't bow the
studs, or cause any structural integrity issues. I figure the studs'll
be just fine, but I wanted to double-check since I'm not a
home-building expert. 130lbs in my mind isn't that heavy, but I've been
wrong before...

- Saul

Jim

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

- Saul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

saulgoode wrote:
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

How far out from the wall does it project? If the projection is
minimal, then the bending moment on the studs will be small.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
saulgoode

Larry Bud wrote:
saulgoode wrote:
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

What's the object that you want to hang? How about a french cleat?

It's a fish tank, actually, mounted like this:

http://www.wallaquariums.com/

I'm using a flat cleat (w/o the 45deg wedge) 2x4 to mount on the wall.
Depth is 7".

- Saul

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

saulgoode wrote:
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind
of load.

The studs will hold it just fine. You don't need near that many screws
either. Get an inch, inch and a half of two #8 or #10 screws into the
studs and you are good to go. I suspect the 50# you mention is pull out
force rating, not shear.
________________

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that?

Think of it this way: suppose you had a stud wall that isn't closed up.
Now screw a short piece of wood across one. Could you stand on it? Of
course you could - most all of the force from your weight is downward,
not out.

-
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

I think most of my kitchen cabinets with the dishes/plates etc. will weight
over 130 pounds. These are typically covering only 1 or 2 studs. I do have
1/2inch plywood behind for the few which did not span two studs.

These are all held up with four screws. If I recall I went with #10 or #12
and about 2.5 in length. I use bugle headed screws with finishing washers
(these are dished). I was more concerned about the head pulling through the
cabinet than the screw pulling out.

The cabinets have been in place for several years with no sign of sagging.

In my case, the studs are assisted by the plywood from pulling out of the
header. In your case I expect you just have dry wall.

The two studs can easily take the 130 pound load from a compression
standpoint. Think about the weight they may presently be holding up from
the house.

I would try and reach across 3 studs, or else install some wooden piece
about the tank to reinforce the stud/header connection.

As for screws, I expect #10 or #12 with length to go into the stud 2 inches
should work. If you really want overkill, use 1/4in lag screws. If your
eventual choice does not have hex head, then pre-drill to minimize rounding
off the screw. I would even pre-drill if you use lags. I have broken more
lags than I care to remember.

Dave Paine.

"saulgoode" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

- Saul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"saulgoode" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

Upper kitchen cabinets loaded with dishes easily exceed the weight that you
are talking about. The studs will be fine just put a couple of screws in
each stud.