Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom fan question

We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is just
above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"benick" wrote in message
. ..
We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is
just above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

Given the cold temperature, it is condensing before the vent can carry out
the moisture laden air. You can probably benefit by insulating the vent
pipe a bit further or by leaving the bathroom door open a bit to vent some
of that moisture into the rest of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 10:00*pm, "benick" wrote:
We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is just
above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFwQ8wIwAQ#
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 01:14:05 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"benick" wrote in message
We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is
just above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

Is the fan running when this happens?

Given the cold temperature, it is condensing before the vent can carry out
the moisture laden air. You can probably benefit by insulating the vent
pipe a bit further or by leaving the bathroom door open a bit to vent some
of that moisture into the rest of the house.

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up?

I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam, which after I
opened the bathroom door, maybe a little bit at a time as I dried off,
would escape to the rest of the house, warming it and increasing its
humidity, which is usually adviseable in the winter.

No wasted heat. Instead of blowing it up the vent outside where it's
not enough to warm the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 1:38*am, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 25, 10:00*pm, "benick" wrote:

We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is just
above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ulated+flexibl....

What you did wrong was to run the vent pipe uninsulated through the
cold attic. Normally the pipe is below the insulation. I'd re-route
it as necessary so that it's on top of the existing insulation, then
add more insulation on top. Or as suggested use an insulated vent
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is
just above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

*Moisture is condensing from the cold in the attic. Replace the plastic
flexible duct with metal duct. Seal the joints with foil tape. Wrap the
metal duct with duct wrap insulation and tape the insulation seams with foil
tape. If possible, pitch the duct so that water flows away from the fan.
Water can pool in low spots inside the plastic flexible duct and lay there
for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"mm" wrote
I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam, which after I
opened the bathroom door, maybe a little bit at a time as I dried off,
would escape to the rest of the house, warming it and increasing its
humidity, which is usually adviseable in the winter.

No wasted heat. Instead of blowing it up the vent outside where it's
not enough to warm the outside.

I don't even have a fan. Code does not require on if you have a window. We
leave the door open a few inches and have never had a problem. I don't see
the need to barricade the bathroom just because someone is in the shower. I
do, however, have a cute butt so I can understand that others may want to
see me naked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up? I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam,

I wouldn't quit your day job for a new career in home construction. A fan is
required by code in almost every location in the US for two reasons: Odor
control for the toilet and moisture control fror the bath/shower. One is an
annoyance, the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

bull,

open the window in the summer and open the door in the winter.

I've never had bath fans, and have never had mold problems.

Humidity is a good thing to have in the house in the winter.

Bath fans are wasteful of energy and that they are now code in many
places is an example of misguided government "help".

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:49:34 -0700, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up? I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam,

I wouldn't quit your day job for a new career in home construction. A fan is
required by code in almost every location in the US for two reasons: Odor
control for the toilet

I"m not saying he shouldn't have a fan. And I accept the fan for odor
control, although my toilet doesn't smell bad, only my gases on
occaions.

and moisture control fror the bath/shower. One is an
annoyance, the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem

I don't believe that. I have a fan in every bathroom because none
have windows (and the've all been unplugged or put on their own
switch), but prior to living here, everywhere I lived had windows and
no fans and no one opened the window in the winter, and they and no
evidence of mold, let alone a mold problem.

In the other three seasons, people opened the windows for fresh air,
but now that people have AC, this probably applies all year long.

What I think is the case is that a few people have a mold problem so
they made a rule to remedy that by requiring a fan in every bathroom
without a window and recommending its use by everyone. That is the
kind of scattergun solution that is applied to many problems. This
is understandable with say, smallpox vaccination, or even measles
vaccination, but not here.

and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:22:26 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"mm" wrote
I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam, which after I
opened the bathroom door, maybe a little bit at a time as I dried off,
would escape to the rest of the house, warming it and increasing its
humidity, which is usually adviseable in the winter.

No wasted heat. Instead of blowing it up the vent outside where it's
not enough to warm the outside.

I don't even have a fan. Code does not require on if you have a window. We
leave the door open a few inches and have never had a problem. I don't see
the need to barricade the bathroom just because someone is in the shower. I
do, however, have a cute butt so I can understand that others may want to
see me naked.

My mother was against ever locking the bathroom door. She said people
can slip on the tile floor or even more likely, in the bathtub, and
hurt themselves falling onto the hard floor or the hard bathtub, lie
there unconscious or unable to unlock the door, and people outside
won't be able to help them. I think when she grew up** bathroom door
locks were harder or impossible to open from the outside, and even now
a lot of people don't know how to open "privacy locks". She said
closing the door ought to be enough to keep people from walking in
(and I think she would add, even if they did walk in, it wouldn't kill
anyone.)

**Actually, until she was 10 or more her family only had an outhouse.
I don't think anyone locks the door to real outhouses, as opposed to
portapotties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up? I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam,

I wouldn't quit your day job for a new career in home construction. A fan is
required by code in almost every location in the US for two reasons: Odor
control for the toilet and moisture control fror the bath/shower. One is an
annoyance, the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

No fan in our bathroom - if it gets too humid I open the door, or the
window. If it gets too smelly I open the window.
Never any mold or mildew problems, and as mentioned before by others -
it helps keep the humidity up. We don't have a humidifier on our
furnace either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 11:54*am, Mark wrote:
*the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the

room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

bull,

open the window in the summer and open the door in the winter.

I've never had bath fans, and have never had mold problems.

Humidity is a good thing to have in the house in the winter.

Bath fans are wasteful of energy and that they are now code in many
places is *an example of misguided government "help".

Mark

in summer they are good.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we installed a
fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom didn't have one
before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of insulation into unheated
attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall to a soffit vent..Now that is
just above zero I get a few drops of water dripping from the fan after a
shower..Is this normal and if not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

1. It should slope down to the outside vent to let condensates drip outside,
I hope you have a directly coupled vent outlet in the soffit and not just
aimed the pipe to a previously installed soffit vent as it can ice up and
create mold and rot behind the soffit.

2. The duct should have been buried in the insulation not run over it, or
the duct should be insulated to prevent the moisture from condensing on the
walls of the cold duct and dripping back into the bathroom and/or dripping
out seams and joints in the duct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 9:54 AM Mark spake thus:

the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a
surface mold problem and potentially create a problem behind the
surface.

bull,

open the window in the summer and open the door in the winter.

I've never had bath fans, and have never had mold problems.

Humidity is a good thing to have in the house in the winter.

Bath fans are wasteful of energy and that they are now code in many
places is an example of misguided government "help".

Bull**** yourself. Just shows how ignorance goes round and round in the
world, now aided by high-speed electronic communication networks.

I installed a vent fan in a bathroom for a client this summer, and it
was sorely needed. The bathroom was starting to grow mold on the
walls--and this was in a tiny bathroom with a large window that could be
(and was) opened to let out moisture.

The Panasonic fan I installed uses very little energy; something like 65
watts for the fan. I installed it on a timer (mechanical wind-up timer),
so it will always go off automatically. Not a huge energy waster, and
performs a very useful function.

Like someone else said here, I wouldn't be too quick to quit your day
job to go into home construction.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 12:13 PM EXT spake thus:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we
installed a fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom
didn't have one before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of
insulation into unheated attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall
to a soffit vent..Now that is just above zero I get a few drops of
water dripping from the fan after a shower..Is this normal and if
not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

1. It should slope down to the outside vent to let condensates drip outside,

With all due respect, I don't see how that's always possible.

The exhaust fan I installed was vented through the roof, so this would
have been impossible. I think you were assuming the fan was vented
through a wall?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:13:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

65 watts is not very little. 2, 5, maybe 10 is very little. 65 is as
much as a 65-watt light bulb.

You must mean that it's not on long, and that is usually true.

I installed it on a timer (mechanical wind-up timer),
so it will always go off automatically. Not a huge energy waster, and
performs a very useful function.

Like someone else said here, I wouldn't be too quick to quit your day
job to go into home construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up? I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam,

I wouldn't quit your day job for a new career in home construction. A fan is
required by code in almost every location in the US for two reasons: Odor
control for the toilet and moisture control fror the bath/shower. One is an
annoyance, the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

Because fans are code doesn't mean they're always needed or even a good idea.
My first house always had mold/mildew problems, even with a fan. The fan in
our current master bathroom is in the throne room and is pitifully
underpowered to clear any humidity in the rest of the bathroom. The room is
large enough that humidity has never been a problem. The mirror doesn't even
fog over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That ignores the heat lost, as well.

You must mean that it's not on long, and that is usually true.

I installed it on a timer (mechanical wind-up timer),
so it will always go off automatically. Not a huge energy waster, and
performs a very useful function.

Like someone else said here, I wouldn't be too quick to quit your day
job to go into home construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 06:02 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:49:34 -0700, Robert wrote:

wrote:

[...]

if you have a separate toilet room you really should have two fans, or a
remotely mounted fan motor with a grille in the throne room and another
just outside the shower. Otherwise, as you say, it's pointless.

I personally am a big fan of hot showers - not sure of exact temp, but I
can tell you with a water heater set to 120F that I can't get it hot
enough to make me happy - so a bathroom without a fan WILL grow
mildew/mold if I'm using it for any length of time.

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that. That's the exact
setup I picked out for my last place. I can't imagine not having a
timer for the fan, that way I can get all the humidity out while leaving
for work as soon as I'm dressed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No need. Humidity isn't a problem.

I personally am a big fan of hot showers - not sure of exact temp, but I
can tell you with a water heater set to 120F that I can't get it hot
enough to make me happy - so a bathroom without a fan WILL grow
mildew/mold if I'm using it for any length of time.

You're not supposed to spend weeks in there. You'll turn into a mushroom. ;-)

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that. That's the exact
setup I picked out for my last place. I can't imagine not having a
timer for the fan, that way I can get all the humidity out while leaving
for work as soon as I'm dressed.

I had to replace the fan[*] in the downstairs bath in my previous house. I
replaced it with a Panasonic. It was noisier than what was there before.
Dunno how well it worked because after my son left we rarely used that shower.[*] One of the "we're moving, gotta fix all the stuff that wasn't worth fixing
before" things. The vent disintegrated and I couldn't get the hose
reconnected without tearing out the fan (and it didn't want to leave
peacefully). I ended up tearing more than one hole in the ceiling, but that's
a separate issue... :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 3:06 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that.

That was me.

That's the exact setup I picked out for my last place. I can't
imagine not having a timer for the fan, that way I can get all the
humidity out while leaving for work as soon as I'm dressed.

By the way, don't bother going to Home Despot or some other big orange
or other colored store, or even your local hardware store for that
matter, for those timers. The only place locally (San Francisco Bay Area
East Bay) I could find one was at my local Real Electrical Supply House.
They're actually pretty cheap, and more reliable than some electronic
piece of crap.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 06:37 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2010 3:06 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that.

That was me.

That's the exact setup I picked out for my last place. I can't
imagine not having a timer for the fan, that way I can get all the
humidity out while leaving for work as soon as I'm dressed.

By the way, don't bother going to Home Despot or some other big orange
or other colored store, or even your local hardware store for that
matter, for those timers. The only place locally (San Francisco Bay Area
East Bay) I could find one was at my local Real Electrical Supply House.
They're actually pretty cheap, and more reliable than some electronic
piece of crap.

I think I found 'em at Lowe's. Despite all my bitching about stuff that
I want that I can't get at the Big Boxen in this respect they are OK. I
also notice that they started carrying the Pass and Seymour GFCI receps
with LED night light about 6 mos. after I ordered one online. another
Must Have for a civilized bathroom.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[snip]

My mother was against ever locking the bathroom door. She said people
can slip on the tile floor or even more likely, in the bathtub, and

My mother insisted on closing the bathroom door when no one was using the
bathroom. That made it (closed door) useless as an "in use" signal.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To solve any problem that has never been solved before, you have to
leave the door to the unknown ajar. You have to permit the possibility
that you do not have it exactly right. Otherwise, if you have made up
your mind already, you might not solve it." -- Richard P. Feynman

Posted to alt.home.repair

bull,

open the window in the summer and open the door in the winter.

I've never had bath fans, and have never had mold problems.

Humidity is a good thing to have in the house in the winter.

Bath fans are wasteful of energy and that they are now code in many
places is an example of misguided government "help".

Bull**** yourself. Just shows how ignorance goes round and round in the
world, now aided by high-speed electronic communication networks.

I installed a vent fan in a bathroom for a client this summer, and it
was sorely needed. The bathroom was starting to grow mold on the
walls--and this was in a tiny bathroom with a large window that could be
(and was) opened to let out moisture.

that's great Dave,
yes fans are sometimes a good thing, and if your client needs one/
wants one, great.

My comment was about the code that requires a fan even when not
needed.

Someone mentioned that the code does not REQUIRE a fan if there is a
window, and that seems reasonable.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
:

the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

bull,

open the window in the summer and open the door in the winter.

I've never had bath fans, and have never had mold problems.

Humidity is a good thing to have in the house in the winter.

I learned the hard way not to do this.

In the winter, letting that much moisture out into my home enabled it to
condense on all the windows. And that much moisture on all the windows
led to mildew all over. Perhaps it's not as cold where you live. But
in northern MA where I live, during the winter it's typical for the dew
point to drop quite low at night.

A *little bit* of moisture in the winter is a good thing--I will take
the towel I used to dry myself off with, and hang it up in my bedroom to
let the moisture evaporate off the towel there. But not the kind of
steam you get from a hot bath or hot shower.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:01:19 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

mm wrote:

[snip]

My mother was against ever locking the bathroom door. She said people
can slip on the tile floor or even more likely, in the bathtub, and

My mother insisted on closing the bathroom door when no one was using the
bathroom. That made it (closed door) useless as an "in use" signal.

[snip]

I've been in a lot of homes, more than half maybe, where the bathroom
door was shut. I think that's one of the things that would bring up
my mother's repeated statement. Our bathroom doors were wide open when
no one was using them.

As are mine, but I live alone. -- I've been meaning to get in the
habit of unlocking the front door and taking the cordless phone when I
go into the unfinished, permanent-floorless attic. One time I knocked
over the ladder and had to jump down, which is harder than it sounds
because the closet shelf is in the way so I have to move my body
forward, but if I do that too much, because of the wall above the
front of the closet, I will -- get this -- break my neck**. I
didn't' break my neck, and I landed either on the ladder or between
its parts, and didn't even break my ankle.

**Third time mentioning this this week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks , that's what I was thinking as well but wanted second opinions from
the knowlegable folks here..I'll tuck it between the 2 layers of
insulation...The bathroom is quite small (8x8) and there was plenty of mold
on the old sheetrock as well as on the floor along the exterior wall so a
vent was necessary..Yes we opened the window in the warmer months and
cracked the door in winter..SWMBO takes VERY hot and lenghthy showers..There
is ALOT of steam....The soffit vent I got has a spring loaded cap that is
pushed open when the fan is running.The fan unit has a damper as well so no
cold draft at all even on very windy days..

thanks again

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 12/26/2010 12:13 PM EXT spake thus:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

We just did a complete gut renovation of our bathroom and we
installed a fan/light combo unit in the ceiling...The bathroom
didn't have one before..The plastic duct goes up thru a foot of
insulation into unheated attic and over 6 feet to the outside wall
to a soffit vent..Now that is just above zero I get a few drops of
water dripping from the fan after a shower..Is this normal and if
not what did I do wrong ?? Thanks...

1. It should slope down to the outside vent to let condensates drip
outside,

With all due respect, I don't see how that's always possible.

The exhaust fan I installed was vented through the roof, so this would
have been impossible. I think you were assuming the fan was vented
through a wall?

I think you were assuming the fan was vented
through a wall?

I made the same silly assumption from the OP's initial info.

...over 6 feet to the outside wall
to a soffit vent..

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:10:48 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

The bathroom is quite small (8x8)

At least it's square. I think that's nice. Our first house was
built in the 30's I think and the bathroom was as big as a bedroom.
Bigger than two of my current bedrooms. One could play ping pong in
the middle without bothering the people at the sink, the tub, or the
toilet.

It had a real linoleum floor (not so-called vinyl linoleum), which had
some strange black and grey shapes in it, with a light colored 1"
border 8" from the edge of the room. In the center was a diamond
(well, a square sitting on one corner) and inside the diamond was a
pair of sea horses looking at each other. This was my bathroom from
the day I was born, and I was probably at least 10 before I found out
that there really are sea horses.

There was a triangular closet built in to a corner, floor to ceiling,
and the bathtub "surround" was the same linoleum that covered the
floor. There was a seam in the middle and somehow the plaster
underneath was crumbling out of the bottom 2 or 3 inches at the seam,
so my mother said we couldn't' take showers. Easy for her to say,
since she didn't like showers anyhow. So until after we moved, when
I was 11, I had never had a shower, which is probably why I don't much
like them.

Best of all, in the hall, beside the bathroom, built into the wall,
were 3 big drawers at the bottom and a cabinet with two doors and
shelves above it. When we went to visit my grandmother for a week or
two every summer, my mother pulled out the drawers and I would crawl
in there and store our valuables. No thief in those days was smart
enough to find them, although I don't know that there were any
burglaries anyhow. By the time we moved when I was 10, I could barely
get in and out through the opening for the drawer.

If you ever have a house like that, check behind the drawers. Who
knows what someone put there and forgot.

and there was plenty of mold
on the old sheetrock as well as on the floor along the exterior wall so a
vent was necessary..Yes we opened the window in the warmer months and
cracked the door in winter..SWMBO takes VERY hot and lenghthy showers..There
is ALOT of steam....

So you're married to a steamy woman. You're making some of the guys
here jealous.

The soffit vent I got has a spring loaded cap that is
pushed open when the fan is running.The fan unit has a damper as well so no
cold draft at all even on very windy days..

Wow. Energy-saving gone wild. (Isn't that a video about New
Orleans?)

thanks again

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 12/26/2010 3:06 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that.

That was me.

That's the exact setup I picked out for my last place. I can't
imagine not having a timer for the fan, that way I can get all the
humidity out while leaving for work as soon as I'm dressed.

By the way, don't bother going to Home Despot or some other big orange or
other colored store, or even your local hardware store for that matter,
for those timers. The only place locally (San Francisco Bay Area East Bay)
I could find one was at my local Real Electrical Supply House. They're
actually pretty cheap, and more reliable than some electronic piece of
crap.

David I found them (timers) at Ace Hardware.. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They should be jealous...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2010 4:38 PM WW spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 12/26/2010 3:06 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that.

That was me.

That's the exact setup I picked out for my last place. I can't
imagine not having a timer for the fan, that way I can get all
the humidity out while leaving for work as soon as I'm dressed.

By the way, don't bother going to Home Despot or some other big
orange or other colored store, or even your local hardware store
for that matter, for those timers. The only place locally (San
Francisco Bay Area East Bay) I could find one was at my local Real
Electrical Supply House. They're actually pretty cheap, and more
reliable than some electronic piece of crap.

David I found them (timers) at Ace Hardware.. ww

Really? The wind-up mechanical ones? (I forget the manufacturer; not
Intermatic?) If so, good news.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 12/26/2010 12:13 PM EXT spake thus:

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Well not technically thru the wall...Sorta above it in the attic...The house
is a raised ranch with trussed roof and the vent is in the soffit and the
duct is on the top of the ceiling so it is accually OVER the outside
wall...LOL....Looked at the roof vents and wall vents but the soffit vents
were much less work and cheaper...Works great and no ugly vent in the wall
or in the NEW roof to leak around , just what looks like a 9 inch round
speaker grill in the soffit...Highly recommend it..Took me about 20 minutes
to install it and that includes setting up the ladder and putting a new
blade in the Ryobi cordless Sawz-All...Trace the template , cut the hole ,
attach the duct , tighten clamp . attach with 3 screws with Ryobi cordless
driver...Didn't even have to crawl into the attic though I will now just to
tuck the duct between the 2 layers of insulation...

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

People use them for fart removers. I don't use one nor need one either.
Keep a can of air freshener on the toilet for those who need to cover
nature.

I used to live in an apartment with two switches in the bathroom.
One controlled the light which had an exhaust fan. The other switch
controlled a heater which had a fan to circulate the heat and keep
the heater from overheating.

Every single time a guest used my bathroom, they turned on both the
light and heater when they entered the room. When they left, they
ALWAYS turned the light off but left the heat on. It NEVER failed.

I once got tired of having to run into the bathroom to turn off the
heater. I used transparent tape to tape the switch in the "off"
position. The first person who used the bathroom tore the tape off
so that they could turn the heater on.

When they left the heat on, it was always on a day when the
temperature was 80 degrees F or warmer.

After I moved into a house with the same switches, I replaced the
heater switch with a timer so people could not leave the heat on for
more than 60 minutes. (If I had found a 15 minute timer, I would
have bought it instead.)
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:38:21 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

David I found them (timers) at Ace Hardware.. ww

Ace hardware is imo better than HD or Lowes.

Neither of them had any square U-bolts. Ace had 15 sizes.

Neither of them had 10" Philips #1, but Ace had two models.

Neither of them had steel clad washing machine hoses in the length I
wanted. They had them with a choice of 2 or 3 ends.

All things I needed, not just things I noticed that they had.

Although I doubt the small Ace store around here has all this, I go to
the bigger store.