Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom fan question

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:49:34 -0700, Robert Neville
wrote:

mm wrote:

What is the purpose of the fan anyhow? To keep the mirror from
steaming up? I would leave the fan off, let the room fill with steam,

I wouldn't quit your day job for a new career in home construction. A fan is
required by code in almost every location in the US for two reasons: Odor
control for the toilet and moisture control fror the bath/shower. One is an
annoyance, the other is essential to keeping mold under control. Letting the
room fill with steam over the long run will at a minimum create a surface mold
problem and potentially create a problem behind the surface.

No fan in our bathroom - if it gets too humid I open the door, or the
window. If it gets too smelly I open the window.
Never any mold or mildew problems, and as mentioned before by others -
it helps keep the humidity up. We don't have a humidifier on our
furnace either.