Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing towel rack from tile

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Heather Mills wrote:

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

Just thinking outside the box, have you considered re-purposing the
towel rack? You could turn it into a washcloth rack, or fasten a shelf
to it somehow for your shampoo and stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:53:23 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Heather Mills wrote:

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

Just thinking outside the box, have you considered re-purposing the
towel rack? You could turn it into a washcloth rack, or fasten a shelf
to it somehow for your shampoo and stuff.

It's an ugly towel rack and in a bad location. It has to go. Really
ugly. Gross.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2010 9:16 PM Heather Mills spake thus:

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

Hard to tell without a picture (or a better description), but it sounds
like the rack might be grouted (cemented) into the wall, which would
make it a lot more difficult to remove. (Like those old-fashioned soap
dishes that are grouted into a recess in the tile.)

If this is the case, you might be able to remove it by *very* carefully
chipping away at the grout with the smallest chisel you can fit in the
grout channel (a cold chisel is what you want).

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:58:34 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

I'll try to get a photo, but it sure looks like what you said.

I started doing what you suggested, but using a screwdriver. My
smallest chisel is thicker than the grout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2010 11:11 PM Heather Mills spake thus:

wrote:

Hard to tell without a picture (or a better description), but it
sounds like the rack might be grouted (cemented) into the wall,
which would make it a lot more difficult to remove. (Like those
old-fashioned soap dishes that are grouted into a recess in the
tile.)

If this is the case, you might be able to remove it by *very*
carefully chipping away at the grout with the smallest chisel you
can fit in the grout channel (a cold chisel is what you want).

I'll try to get a photo, but it sure looks like what you said.

I started doing what you suggested, but using a screwdriver. My
smallest chisel is thicker than the grout.

I shoulda thought of the sacrificial screwdriver; that's as good a tool
as any here. And since you're getting rid of the rack, no problem if you
chip *it*; just try not to damage the surrounding tile.

When you're done, what're you planning on doing? Cover the hole(s) with
a piece of tile?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Here is a link you might find helpful:
http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-382458.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Here's another:
http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv...p/t-48703.html

Cut and paste the following line into Google:

ceramic OR porcelain towel rack removal

That's how I found the links. There's lots more
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2010 11:52 PM Jack spake thus:

Here's another:
http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv...p/t-48703.html

Cut and paste the following line into Google:

ceramic OR porcelain towel rack removal

That's how I found the links. There's lots more

I hate to break it to you, buddy, but both your posts fall into the
"unhelpful posts by someone trying to help" category.

The first thread you posted a link to had to do with removing a ceramic
towel rack from *drywall*, not tile.

This link you posted was about the O.P.'s problem. However, it contained
no information that hadn't already given here, specifically:

There is no easy way. You basically chisel the brackets out with hammer
and chisel. Be aware, though, that there is no tile behind the brackets.
You will have to install a couple tiles that probably won't match.

Sorry to point all this out to you, but keep in mind that the whole idea
here is to try to provide information to folks.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heather Mills wrote:
We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

You might consider the Harbor Freight Multifunction Twitching Tool with a
diamond blade. Even a regular blade will cut through grout.

Be aware that whatever you do will end up looking worse than the current
situation.

* Even IF the towel rack is merely glued to the tile, getting all the
grout/glue off the tile without shattering or marring the underlying tile
will be almost impossible.

* Most likely, the towel rack supports are attached to the wall and the tile
fitted around the supports. If this is the case, you'll have to match the
tile.

If it was me, I'd invest in a decorative shower curtain and call it good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 7:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Heather Mills wrote:
[...]

That depends on what you mean by "attached to the wall" and no, you
don't have to match the tile.

In my case (1956 house) the towel rack and soap dish were attached in
the following manner:

A hole was cut in the wallboard, newspaper was stuffed into the cavity
(interesting reading, by the way) and cement was crammed into the
hole. The fixtures had keyed extensions so that when the cement spread
out behind the wallboard and into the notches on the fixtures, it held
them in place.

As far as matching the tile, I knew I could never do that, so I bought
contrasting tiles - actually I bought tiles with a flower pattern on
them - and used them instead.

If you try to match existing *anythings* and can only get close, it's
time to go the other way and try *not* to match. It's better in those
cases to coordinate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hard to tell without a picture (or a better description), but it
sounds like the rack might be grouted (cemented) into the wall,
which would make it a lot more difficult to remove. (Like those
old-fashioned soap dishes that are grouted into a recess in the
tile.)

If this is the case, you might be able to remove it by *very*
carefully chipping away at the grout with the smallest chisel you
can fit in the grout channel (a cold chisel is what you want).

I'll try to get a photo, but it sure looks like what you said.

I started doing what you suggested, but using a screwdriver. My
smallest chisel is thicker than the grout.

I shoulda thought of the sacrificial screwdriver; that's as good a tool
as any here. And since you're getting rid of the rack, no problem if you
chip *it*; just try not to damage the surrounding tile.

It seems to be working, but is slow going. I haven't gotten very far
in yet.

When you're done, what're you planning on doing? Cover the hole(s) with
a piece of tile?

I'm hoping there's no hole in the tile. If there is, I guess I'll dig
out a couple of tiles and replace them. Even if they don't match
perfectly, it will be better than the rack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Both of your links were for racks attached to drywall. This one is
glued onto tile. However, the Google search suggestion was good. I
should have tried that first. A couple of hits suggested a cold chisel
or a screwdriver as suggested by David.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 06:27:33 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:
We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

You might consider the Harbor Freight Multifunction Twitching Tool with a
diamond blade. Even a regular blade will cut through grout.

Be aware that whatever you do will end up looking worse than the current
situation.

Well, that's subjective... ;-)

* Even IF the towel rack is merely glued to the tile, getting all the
grout/glue off the tile without shattering or marring the underlying tile
will be almost impossible.

* Most likely, the towel rack supports are attached to the wall and the tile
fitted around the supports. If this is the case, you'll have to match the
tile.

If it was me, I'd invest in a decorative shower curtain and call it good.

Not an option here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 06:50:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 22, 7:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Heather Mills wrote:
[...]

One of the websites mentioned something like this. It said that the
porcelain support was likely hollow. It suggested whacking it with the
*handle* of a hammer, but it wasn't clear if they were trying to break
it free from the wall or just break it.

Since I am not trying to save the rack, I think I'll try drilling into
the base to see if it's hollow. If it is, I can cut or break off the
end and then I'll be able to see how it's attached and get at the glue
from inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heather Mills wrote:
We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

High speed Dremel, Foredom, or Makita 14,000 rpm cutter. Cut off the end of
the rack that is sticking out, so you can see inside to see if it is held on
with a fastener, or was, indeed just glued on. Break away enough until you
can see what you're dealing with. If glued on, carefully breaking off, then
scraping residue with single edge razor. Maybe trying some acetone to
soften glue/grout? Let us know what you find. As mentioned before,
probably a coin toss as to whether or not you will have to replace a tile or
four.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:26:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:
We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

High speed Dremel, Foredom, or Makita 14,000 rpm cutter.

Of course. The Dremel will be quicker than a drill or a hack saw.

Cut off the end of
the rack that is sticking out, so you can see inside to see if it is held on
with a fastener, or was, indeed just glued on. Break away enough until you
can see what you're dealing with. If glued on, carefully breaking off, then
scraping residue with single edge razor. Maybe trying some acetone to
soften glue/grout? Let us know what you find. As mentioned before,
probably a coin toss as to whether or not you will have to replace a tile or
four.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heather Mills" wrote in message

It's an ugly towel rack and in a bad location. It has to go. Really
ugly. Gross.

There was an ugly towel rack attached to the tiles in the shower in our old
house, so I removed it and replaced it with a nice looking towel rack that
matched the other bathroom fixtures. However our towel rack wasn't attached
to the tiles with glue or grout or whatever, it was mounted on two fittings
that were screwed to studs through holes in the tiles. I'd bet that there
are holes in the tiles in your case as well, so if you remove the towel rack
you're going to have two ugly holes in the tiles. Maybe the grout that
appears to attach the rack to the tiles was an attempt at waterproofing.
Chip it away and look for screws holding the rack to fittings screwed to the
wall. Either way the grout has to be chipped away, or perhaps you could use
a Dremel tool or something similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:16:01 -0800, Heather Mills
wrote:

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:55:56 -0800, Heather Mills
wrote:

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Some folks here do not get binary groups. Find a free site and post a
link here. This site will host the photo and give a link you can post
here .... http://tinypic.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 4:31 PM Oren spake thus:

wrote:

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Some folks here do not get binary groups. Find a free site and post a
link here. This site will host the photo and give a link you can post
here .... http://tinypic.com/

.... as will Flickr, Photobucket, Picnik, and probably a zillion others ...

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Your pictures are not working. They must b e a file type not understood by
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Color me lazy, but without a link, I'm not troubling myself to go
looking for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
[attributes restored]
Heather Mills wrote:
I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Your pictures are not working. They must b e a file type not understood
by alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Your newsreader is broken. The photos are fine. She posted a zip file of
12 jpgs.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 12:16*am, Heather Mills wrote:

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

They were typically installed with grout, pretty sturdy.

I suspect a sharp horizontal rap by hand would dislodge them, but if
not I'd go with a rubber hammer.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heather Mills wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

I'd say continue the discussion here. Binary groups are for binaries
(files), and discussion groups are for discussion.

You obviously have removed the rack, and now have two tiles in need of
replacement, so what is the question?

By the way, I have a similar situation from a mid 1950's built house.
Consider yourself fortunate to have the white tiles with salmon border. I
have a room full of hideous green tiles with a white border. I warn guests
to consider eye protection before entering the bathroom. :-)

I even have an identical towel rack, although I like having a towel rack
in the shower.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 10:09*am, Heather Mills wrote:
I'm hoping there's no hole in the tile. If there is, I guess I'll dig
out a couple of tiles and replace them. Even if they don't match
perfectly, it will be better than the rack.

There WILL be holes in the tile. The rack has to be mounted to the
wall mechanically somehow. You can't glue directly to the surface of
tile. They might have adhesives that would do it now, but not in 1950.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 10:11*am, Heather Mills wrote:
This one is glued onto tile.

No, it is not. There was no glue around in the 1950s that would stick
to the surface of a ceramic tile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:50*pm, wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:09*am, Heather Mills wrote:

I'm hoping there's no hole in the tile. If there is, I guess I'll dig
out a couple of tiles and replace them. Even if they don't match
perfectly, it will be better than the rack.

There WILL be holes in the tile. The rack has to be mounted to the
wall mechanically somehow. You can't glue directly to the surface of
tile. They might have adhesives that would do it now, but not in 1950.

"There WILL be holes in the tile."

No, there may not be. Read my earlier post where cement was used to
hold both a towel rack and soap dish to my tiled walls. The house was
built in the 50's.

These types of towel rack holders did not required any holes to be
drilled into the tile. Look closely, there are 2 different styles of
towel rack holders. There's even some soap dishes in the background,
none of which required holes in the tile. Holes in the wall, yes, but
not in the tile.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/TowelRackHolders

http://tinyurl.com/TowelRackHolders

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2010 6:23 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

You're not following the thread very well.

The statement you responded to, "This one is glued onto tile" referred
to a link someone had posted earlier--not to the OP's situation.

The OP's towel holder is NOT screwed into the wall; it's grouted right
in, like many such accessories were done (and still can be). When I
tiled my bath in the one house I owned and sold, I grouted a soap holder
in. No fasteners of any kind: just cut a hole for it in the green
drywall, smushed thinset onto it along with the surrounding tile, then
later grouted around it.

Uh, I guess I'm not following the thread well, either. I'm not aware
that Heather (or Donna, maybe) has actually removed the towel bar yet,
so how is it that you already know how it's fastened?

I'd lay good odds that they're just cemented in. That's how all that
stuff was put in.

We'll see; someone else here made it sound as if the O.P. had succeeded
in taking the holders out.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

Some folks here do not get binary groups. Find a free site and post a
link here. This site will host the photo and give a link you can post
here .... http://tinypic.com/

... as will Flickr, Photobucket, Picnik, and probably a zillion others ...

Sorry. Here are some links:

Here's one end of the towel rack. I just started chipping away at the
cement.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vumoti/7

I wasn't getting anywhere with that, so I put a cutoff disk in the
Dremel and tried cutting the end off on the suggestion that it was
probably hollow. I didn't take any photos of that step. I also didn't
get anywhere with that and concluded that it wasn't hollow after all.

Next I used the cutoff disk to cut away the cement behind the rack. I
only got maybe 3/16" in. I then gave up and tried tapping it with a
hammer. To my surprise, the whole thing popped off leaving a hole in
the tile.

http://tinypic.com/r/219p5rl/7

The rack turned out to be solid porcelain and very heavy. It had a
post that wentinto the wall, which broke fro the hammer blows. You can
see where I tried to cut through.

http://tinypic.com/r/ketd86/7

This photo shows that the tiles are 4.25" square.

http://tinypic.com/r/34f3k/7

The other end of the post was loose and fell back into the wall.

http://tinypic.com/r/21mrgcn/7

Should I patch that hole before replacing the tile?

I went to a couple of local tile dealers. No one could match the tile
exactly. One of them said that the glaze finish is what is called
"crackled". It doesn't show up well in the photos, but it has a
texture similar to a wall painted with a roller.

I bought 3 different tiles that are similar, but none are a good
match. The other thing is that the new tiles are less than half as
thick as the old ones:

http://tinypic.com/r/9jokk4/7

Remaining questions:

1. Can I just use more thinset to set the tile or do I need to build
it up a bit first?

2. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement tiles?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

More thinset should be fine. I like the idea of using a contrasting
tile for replacement, it make look like you did it deliberately
instead of patching. If you could find a couple of other places in
the area/room to replace a few tiles, even if they are now still
perfectly ok, you could make it look like a definite pattern of
contrasting tiles, and maybe no one would even know they are actually
patches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

I thought of that, but getting these two out was a lot of work. Each
one probably took at least an hour and several cutoff disks. I think
I'd need to replace at least 5-6 others to make anything resembling an
intentional pattern. That sounds like 2 more days and a lot of dust
and mess. I have it all cleaned up now.

I did find some tiles that are good enough. I'll look around, but if I
don't find anything better, I'll just go with what I have.

Do you know of a good source for replacement tiles? Maybe something
online? I'd probably have to mail them a fragment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:10:35 -0500, Tony Sivori
wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

I'd say continue the discussion here. Binary groups are for binaries
(files), and discussion groups are for discussion.

You obviously have removed the rack,

Yessir. I posted links to photos in another reply.

and now have two tiles in need of
replacement, so what is the question?

1. Do I need to repaid the hole in the sheetrock where the post was?

2. The new tiles are much thinner then the old ones. Can I just use
more thinset or do I need to build it up some first?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I might find tiles that
match better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2010 8:56 PM Heather Mills spake thus:

Do you know of a good source for replacement tiles? Maybe something
online? I'd probably have to mail them a fragment.

I would say forget about getting them online; this is one thing that
doesn't lend itself to that kind of commerce.

Dunno where you are, but if you're in or near a good-sized metro area,
chances are good that there are several tile vendors that might have
something close to what you want, and you also might look for
recycled/reclaimed building material supply places that might have boxes
of old tile that might match.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?

I'd say continue the discussion here. Binary groups are for binaries
(files), and discussion groups are for discussion.

You obviously have removed the rack,

Yessir. I posted links to photos in another reply.

and now have two tiles in need of
replacement, so what is the question?

1. Do I need to repaid the hole in the sheetrock where the post was?

2. The new tiles are much thinner then the old ones. Can I just use
more thinset or do I need to build it up some first?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I might find tiles that
match better?

As I said earlier in this thread, when you can't match what you have,
coordinate it with something that compliments it.

Perhaps a tile with a pattern that has some of the same colors in it
or a hand painted tile from a crafts show or a rough textured tile in
a complimentary color.

If you try to match it and "come close" it will look like you tried to
match it and missed.

When I pulled my towel rack and soap dish, I actually removed some
extra tiles from various spots on the wall and replaced them with a
patterned tile so that the three that I *had* to replaced didn't stand
out as much. I basically ceated my own design that looked like it
belonged there from the start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heather Mills wrote:

I thought of that, but getting these two out was a lot of work. Each
one probably took at least an hour and several cutoff disks. I think
I'd need to replace at least 5-6 others to make anything resembling an
intentional pattern. That sounds like 2 more days and a lot of dust
and mess. I have it all cleaned up now.

To repeat an earlier suggestion, get a Harbor Freight Multifunction
Twitching tool. It will cut through the grout like a hot, petrified fern
through fresh scat.

You cut the grout surrounding the target tile and, if the tile doesn't come
off by prying, you smash the sucker. Then you can insert your decorative
replacement tile.

This, of course, results in the GROUT not matching, which, in turn,
generates a whole new problem.

Now to repeat an earlier suggestion: I'd get a decorative shower curtain and
call it good. As an alternative, install your new tiles and paint the whole
damn shower stall in vivid colors.

Best of luck in all your endeavors.