Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing towel rack from tile

On Dec 23, 9:42*pm, Heather Mills wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:29:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl

wrote:
On 12/22/2010 4:31 PM Oren spake thus:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:55:56 -0800, Heather Mills
*wrote:

I've posted some photos on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Is it better to move the discussion there or continue here?
Some folks here do not get binary groups. Find a free site and post a
link here. *This site will host the photo and give a link you can post
here .... *http://tinypic.com/

... as will Flickr, Photobucket, Picnik, and probably a zillion

others ...

Sorry. Here are some links:

Here's one end of the towel rack. I just started chipping away at the
cement.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vumoti/7

I wasn't getting anywhere with that, so I put a cutoff disk in the
Dremel and tried cutting the end off on the suggestion that it was
probably hollow. I didn't take any photos of that step. I also didn't
get anywhere with that and concluded that it wasn't hollow after all.

Next I used the cutoff disk to cut away the cement behind the rack. I
only got maybe 3/16" in. I then gave up and tried tapping it with a
hammer. To my surprise, the whole thing popped off leaving a hole in
the tile.

http://tinypic.com/r/219p5rl/7

The rack turned out to be solid porcelain and very heavy. It had a
post that wentinto the wall, which broke fro the hammer blows. You can
see where I tried to cut through.

http://tinypic.com/r/ketd86/7

This photo shows that the tiles are 4.25" square.

http://tinypic.com/r/34f3k/7

The other end of the post was loose and fell back into the wall.

http://tinypic.com/r/21mrgcn/7

Should I patch that hole before replacing the tile?

I went to a couple of local tile dealers. No one could match the tile
exactly. One of them said that the glaze finish is what is called
"crackled". It doesn't show up well in the photos, but it has a
texture similar to a wall painted with a roller.

I bought 3 different tiles that are similar, but none are a good
match. The other thing is that the new tiles are less than half as
thick as the old ones:

http://tinypic.com/r/9jokk4/7

Remaining questions:

1. Can I just use more thinset to set the tile or do I need to build
it up a bit first?

2. Does anyone know of a good source for replacement tiles?

Thanks

More thinset should be fine. I like the idea of using a contrasting
tile for replacement, it make look like you did it deliberately
instead of patching. If you could find a couple of other places in
the area/room to replace a few tiles, even if they are now still
perfectly ok, you could make it look like a definite pattern of
contrasting tiles, and maybe no one would even know they are actually
patches.