Posted to alt.home.repair
Heather Mills Heather Mills is offline

Default Removing towel rack from tile

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:26:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Heather Mills wrote:
We have an old house. In one bathroom, there is a towel rack attached
to the tile wall right over the tub. It's a terrible place for a towel
rack and it has bugged me for years. I am reluctant to remove it
myself, because it's attached to the tile with what looks like the
same cement (grout?) that they use to attach the tiles. The cement is
white and very hard, like grout.

I tried tapping it with a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. I was
able to chip away some of the cement, but I am worried about cracking
or scratching the tile underneath.

Is there a good way to remove the towel rack?

High speed Dremel, Foredom, or Makita 14,000 rpm cutter.

Of course. The Dremel will be quicker than a drill or a hack saw.

Cut off the end of
the rack that is sticking out, so you can see inside to see if it is held on
with a fastener, or was, indeed just glued on. Break away enough until you
can see what you're dealing with. If glued on, carefully breaking off, then
scraping residue with single edge razor. Maybe trying some acetone to
soften glue/grout? Let us know what you find. As mentioned before,
probably a coin toss as to whether or not you will have to replace a tile or
four.

Steve