Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FloodSafe supply hoses - any experience?

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/10 11:29 am, Jon Danniken wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

We don't have them on the washing machine, but we have them on the
dishwasher, the toilets and some sink faucets. Never a problem.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

No experience with them, but I've always been skeptical, along the lines
of what you've read. There is no reason for a washing machine hose to
burst, other than leaving it in service for too long. Replace them every
3-5 years or whatever schedule you're comfortable with.

With regard to the braid-jacketed hoses: Many of them now have plastic
jacketing that looks like stainless, so if you go that route, don't
assume that your presbyopia-challenged eye is telling you the truth.

And, actually, I think the braid is counterproductive. A hose will swell
before it bursts, a terrific warning sign. The braid will prevent the
swelling, masking the symptom but not necessarily preventing ultimate
failure.

For extra peace of mind during vacations, put in some ball valves (with
the 90 degree shutoff handles)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 12/09/10 11:29 am, Jon Danniken wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

We don't have them on the washing machine, but we have them on the
dishwasher, the toilets and some sink faucets. Never a problem.

Perce

I've got one on a toilet, and if I have the supply valve fully open it
can false trip. With the supply valve closed just a little no false
trips.

By their nature, they have to trip at a flow rate lower than that which
you would get with the hose wide open. Since most appliances have plenty
of flow restriction in their valves and whatnot, this normally isn't an
issue.

I'll note that these hoses will not prevent a flood from a slower leak,
such as a cracked plastic inlet valve fitting on a washer, a valve stuck
partially open by a bit of debris, or similar leak that does not result
in a high flow rate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:29:12 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

Watts makes a _Watts Floodsafe Auto-shutoff Connector_. The water
shuts off when the hose (s) leak. It goes on the stop valve.

They cut this hose for a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpb-q8Is7w

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. *Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

Watts makes a _Watts Floodsafe Auto-shutoff Connector_. *The water
shuts off when the hose (s) leak. It goes on the stop valve.

They cut this hose for a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpb-q8Is7w- Hide quoted text -

Few hoses burst in this catastrophic way. Mostly it's just a minor
leak, (but still damaging). However this device won't stop this sort
of thing. I imagine after a while they will scale up too & not
work. Semi snake oil.
The answer is not to use ths flexible hoses where they are avoidable.
They are just put in for ease of installation by the idle and the
incompetent.
Also if you have a pressure reducing valve, set it as low as
convenient to minimise the effects of leaks and also reduce the chance
of one happening.
It's also a good idea to configure your floors to minimise the effects
of any leaks. Eg, my utility room floor is tiled and has a step up yo
the rest of the house and down into the garage. Any water would go
into the garage & then outside. Normal arrangement in the UK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Gee, did you figure that out all by yourself?

They are just put in for ease of installation by the idle and the
incompetent.

Tell us how you would put in a washing machine, the appliance in
question,
without using hoses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

What say you?

They cut this hose for a demo:

Few hoses burst in this catastrophic way.

I only watched half the video, but my primary reason for buying a hose
with that shut-off valve is when I'm connecting water to something that
has a plastic inlet connector, or otherwise to an appliance that has
electrically-operated valves. The idea here is that plastic inlets and
electrical valves can break or malfunction and cause a catastrophic leak
(primarily disk washers and clothes washers).

Plumbing lines to fixtures such as wash basins, kitchen sinks, toilets,
etc, don't really need this device. In those cases, failure of the
up-stream valve would simply result in water going down the drain, not
all over the floor.

The answer is not to use ths flexible hoses where they are
avoidable.

Many older homes (built more than 10 or 20 years ago) would, I imagine,
have solid copper lines running to all inside fixtures (sinks and
toilets) so they wouldn't need a flex line for those things unless there
was renovation going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in
:

,
[...]

US water runs uphill as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

I used one on a recent toilet install - kept shutting the water off
randomly, so I returned it to HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

without using hoses.- Hide quoted text -

Illiterate too? I said where AVOIDABLE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 6:49*pm, " wrote:
On Dec 11, 12:13*pm, "

wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 00:13:44 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpb-...idequotedtext-

Few hoses burst in this catastrophic way. Mostly it's just a minor
leak, (but still damaging). However this device won't stop this sort
of thing. I imagine after a while they will scale up too & not
work. Semi snake oil.
The answer is not to use ths flexible hoses where they are avoidable.

Gee, did you figure that out all by yourself?

They are just put in for ease of installation by the idle and the
incompetent.

Tell us how you would put in a washing machine, the appliance in
question,
without using hoses.- Hide quoted text -

Illiterate too? * I said where AVOIDABLE.

Uh, harry, you wrote the paragraph "they are just put in for ease of
installation by the idle and the incompetent". *It seems that you're the
illiterate one; no surprises.- Hide quoted text -

far better to have auto solenoid valve on washing machine so it can
only leak when someone is using it, that along with a good drip pan- Hide quoted text -

Solenoids often leak. More often than the hoses by far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 11:29*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. *Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

Most flooding is caused by small slow leaks that occur while you are
away from home. These do i nothing to protect from those.
Replace hoses and washers every few years they are cheap and its good
insurance.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 11:29*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. *Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

The stainless hoses are expensive and not that that much better than
the cheaper ones. replace hoses and washers every 5 years and you are
good to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:33:00 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Dec 9, 11:29*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine with
some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were, but
instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with the hoses,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to do a
load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to access the
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. *Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

The stainless hoses are expensive and not that that much better than
the cheaper ones. replace hoses and washers every 5 years and you are
good to go.

They're not that expensive at all. Their purpose is to prevent catastrophic
failure, not small leaks. Insurance companies like them.