Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default FloodSafe supply hoses - any experience?

harry wrote in
:

On Dec 9, 10:17*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:29:12 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

wrote:
I was thinking of replacing the supply hoses on my warshing machine
with some of the Watts FloodSafe hoses.

As usual, I looked around the web to see how wonderful they were,
but instead I came across a lot of people mentioning problems with
the hoses

,
mostly along the lines of restricted flow rates (taking forever to
do a load), and false tripping (requiring pulling the machine out to
access t

he
bib, removing, then reinstalling the hose).

Now I am not so sure that I want these. *Maybe I'll just go with the
stainless braided hoses instead.

What say you?

Jon

Watts makes a _Watts Floodsafe Auto-shutoff Connector_. *The water
shuts off when the hose (s) leak. It goes on the stop valve.

They cut this hose for a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpb-q8Is7w- Hide quoted text -

Few hoses burst in this catastrophic way. Mostly it's just a minor
leak, (but still damaging). However this device won't stop this sort
of thing. I imagine after a while they will scale up too & not
work. Semi snake oil.
The answer is not to use ths flexible hoses where they are avoidable.
They are just put in for ease of installation by the idle and the
incompetent.
Also if you have a pressure reducing valve, set it as low as
convenient to minimise the effects of leaks and also reduce the chance
of one happening.
It's also a good idea to configure your floors to minimise the effects
of any leaks. Eg, my utility room floor is tiled and has a step up yo
the rest of the house and down into the garage. Any water would go
into the garage & then outside. Normal arrangement in the UK.

US water runs uphill as well.