Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soaker hoses?

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

You may have too much pressure. what is your pressure measured at the
hose hydrant? I blew one up several times with our 110+ psi. You may
want to regulate if it's over 80.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side near
the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and attached a
new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

I have not found any that lasted an entire summer, and I have tried many.

I'm thinking about using pastic tubing glued together that I will drill
small holes in and bury around my foundation. I will have an upright tube
near a spigot that I can connect to when needed.

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but
toward the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in
the side near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the
split and attached a new connector. No there is a new split from
which water gushes. Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are
there some
durable ones around?

Perce

I have not found any that lasted an entire summer, and I have tried
many.
I'm thinking about using pastic tubing glued together that I will
drill small holes in and bury around my foundation. I will have an
upright tube near a spigot that I can connect to when needed.

I've got some I have been using for a few years. I got them used from someone
else, and they had obviously been used before I got them.

Mine came with a washer with a small hose to regulate the water flow/pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

A good one will last a decade or more. See your local drip irrigation
specialty store. Do not get the kind with little holes, get the porous
kind that oozes water through the fabric. They're black, with a rough
texture. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-S.../dp/B0002S8LC4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:20 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

Andy comments:

In my garden I use 3/4 PVC pipe cut to the length of a row, usually
about 20 feet. . I attach
a hose, with appropriate fittings, at one end, cap the far end,
and drill small holes about
six inches apart for the length. The holes are about 1/32 dia or so.

I move the entire pipe from row to row. These pipes last forever.
Once in
a while I will notice a hole has gotten stopped up and I stick a very
small wire or drill bit in to clean it out.

In this manner I can irrigate the plants, but not the 3 foot spaces
in
between, which really slows down weed growth....

Perhaps you can use this technique .

I also use it in shrubbery and flower beds. Very inexpensive and
permanent.

I never trusted soaker hoses. Especially since I have a dog.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
:

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but
toward the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the
side near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split
and attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water
gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some
durable ones around?

Perce

Just get a regular hose from Harbor Freight. It should leak everywhere
adequately :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/09 09:48 pm Smitty Two wrote:

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's, but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

A good one will last a decade or more. See your local drip irrigation
specialty store. Do not get the kind with little holes, get the porous
kind that oozes water through the fabric. They're black, with a rough
texture. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-S.../dp/B0002S8LC4

I can't see enough detail in the image, but your description seems to
fit the one we bought that did not last the season.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had soakers for several years now with excellent results. Make sure
you don't lose the insert that goes in the supply side that only allows a
little hole's worth of water in it. They say don't let the soakers stay out
in the sun, else they turn brittle, but I found they also spit water in one
place other than where you want it; I cover the soaker with coarse mulch for
this reason. And I also invested in a basic timer which I've had for years.
I just set a soaker to 30 min. and forget it. If the soaker breaks, a hose
repair thing, male/male, was a simple, effective fix. I've had to do that
2-3 times. I think I got mine at Wal-Mart.

John

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side near
the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and attached a
new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes..

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

Id say pressure might be your issue and sun, UV. Ive had the same
black, generic, recycled tire, completely porus units for 20+ years.
Bury them in mulch or dirt to protect them from sun. Cut out bad
areas. There are 3 types I have seen, Completely porus made from old
tires. The ones with holes every foot or so. And 1/4" drip irrigation
pipe that you put in your Ts and holes that is usualy made from UV
resistant plastic. My pressure is low, maybe 40lb. Animals will chew
hose for water, squirells get mine all the time, Mulch or dirt over
them is best as then Suns UV wont degrade them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/09 08:20 pm I wrote:

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Menard's has soaker/sprinkler hoses that are indistinguishable from the
one that I found unsatisfactory. I bought one of their soaker (only --
porous but without the small squirt-holes) hoses and daisy-chained the
repaired soaker/sprinkler hose to it. So far no problem.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side near
the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and attached a
new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

As I understand it, soaker hoses and sprinller hose do two separate things.

You may wish to look here;

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2280,33160

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/31/09 12:12 am Doug Brown wrote:

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side near
the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and attached a
new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

As I understand it, soaker hoses and sprinller hose do two separate things.

You may wish to look here;

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2280,33160

The one we had was described as both: it is porous but also has "squirt
holes" along one side (designated by a colored stripe). If you want to
soak, lay the hose stripe down; for sprinkling, lay it stripe up.

Perce

5 yrs on washer hoses? Todd Home Repair 19 November 29th 08 01:25 AM
SOAKER HOSE freckles Home Repair 9 August 3rd 08 11:31 PM
Compressor Hoses Patrick Fischer Woodworking 21 July 30th 05 04:23 AM
Which flexible tap hoses do I need?! Lobster UK diy 7 July 16th 05 09:46 AM
styrofoam sm under whirlpool soaker bathtub??? gary Home Repair 2 December 12th 04 07:31 PM