Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical box

Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 8:31*am, "
wrote:
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. *There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. *The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

Instead of a drill you're probably going to want to use an easy-out to
attempt to back the screw out. You can also drill out the hole and
replace the screw with a bigger one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this is a metal outlet box?
You can buy a bent-nose pair of needle nose pliers (I have a pair). It
will allow you to get a better grip on the screw.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/28roka3
I would get a q-tip and spray the cotton end with some liquid wrench
and dab both sides of the screw ( I wouldn't spray the liquid into the
outlet box).
The other solution would be to cut the box from the stud and then
install a new existing wall box, the one with wings that grip the sheetrock.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 9:44*am, keith wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:31*am, "
wrote:

Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. *There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. *The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

Instead of a drill you're probably going to want to use an easy-out to
attempt to back the screw out. *You can also drill out the hole and
replace the screw with a bigger one.

I don't see how he can use an easy out on a screw that small. It;s
not a 1/4 bolt. If there is enough screw on the far side, willshak's
suggestion of using the bent type of needle nose pliars sounds good.
Also, if there is enough on the front side to try to get a grip on,
I'd use something more like a small pair of lineman type pliers that
have small teeth on them to try to get it, rather than needle nose
which are smooth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

keith wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:31 am, "

wrote:
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not

notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole

evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on

either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide

off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

Instead of a drill you're probably going to want to use an easy-out

attempt to back the screw out. You can also drill out the hole and
replace the screw with a bigger one.

You have to drill a hole in the screw to fit the easy out into don't
you know?

--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:37*am, dpb wrote:
You talking the cover plate mount hole or the grounding screw, just to
be certain? *If the latter, just drill a new hole and go on...

If the former 'tis a pita. *If it took me more than 10 minutes fooling
with it I'd probably just replace the box and go on.

Is the bottom screw that holds the receptacle to to box. The issue
with replacing the box is having to fix the drywall that I'd have to
cut to get the box out ... trying to avoid going that route if at all
possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 9:25*am, wrote:
On Sep 17, 9:44*am, keith wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:31*am, "
wrote:

[...]

No, it's an 8-32 screw. There are extractors that will take them
out. If he can get the screw to go either direction the screw can be
removed. Or, as I said, he can drill it out and use a larger screw
(eitehr tapping the hole or use a sheet metal screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:31:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

It has probably been suggested already, but I didn't read the replies.
You can try to grip the screw inside the box and twist it where the
screw will run into the box and fall out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 2:31*pm, "
wrote:
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. *There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. *The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

If all else fails drill out and use a self tapping screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

I try to break the screw off flush and use a #6 Philips head self drilling
screw to replace it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

24 hours after you spray the thing with liquid wrench try a bit that is half
the diameter of the screw. If you are living right the screw will pop out
the back side with no damage to the threads.

Worst case you drill it out and use a larger screw.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2010 06:39 PM, Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

24 hours after you spray the thing with liquid wrench try a bit that is half
the diameter of the screw. If you are living right the screw will pop out
the back side with no damage to the threads.

Worst case you drill it out and use a larger screw.

I've managed to pop several "new work" boxes out and replace with old
work boxes with just a screwdriver, crowbar, and hammer. No damage to
walls. Of course the walls in my house are plaster which is slightly
more resilient than sheetrock. Still, it is an option.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 6:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
I've managed to pop several "new work" boxes out and replace with old
work boxes with just a screwdriver, crowbar, and hammer. *No damage to
walls. *Of course the walls in my house are plaster which is slightly
more resilient than sheetrock. *Still, it is an option.

Thank you Nate and everyone else. I've got a few things to try
tomorrow.

One of bigger issues that I have with removing/replacing the box is
that the box is apparently a ... for lack of a better term ...
sidestrap box based on other reno we've done and what I've found
elsewhere. So if you're looking forward at the box, the box resides
on the left of a stud with the attachment wrapping and nailed to the
front of the stud (older home, nothing in here is what one would
expect). While the example video was informative, it's not an option
to saw through some nails to get the box out.

However, I appreciate all replies and ideas, and will tackle this this
weekend.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 7:08*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

No one mentioned another option........having found boxes where the
wires are way too short..

install a new box nearby, run romex between boxes and use a blank
cover on the abandoned box.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, so I'm probably making more of this than I need to ...

I am replacing outlets to match new paint in a room and did not notice
that one electrical box still has the old screw in the bottom hole ...
evidently it broke in the hole. There is nowhere to grip it on either
side, not even with needlenose pliers. The plies basically slide off
as soon as I go to turn it.

Can I take a tiny drill bit and drill it out or is there an easier
way?

I drilled two today. It's a 6/32 screw with not much to drill into. I have
a bunch of tiny drill bits and slowly work up to a #36 or 7/64". Sometimes
the broken piece will loosen and fall out as you're drilling. Sometimes the
drill bit will break. Have a 6/32 tap and an 8/32 tap handy in case you need
to make the hole bigger. It's a slow process, but worth it if it keeps you
from having to repair the wall. Mine were embedded in brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 8:04*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

The screw in question is to mount the outlet to the box, so drilling
out the screw and replacing it with a larger screw is invisible as
long as the replacement screw does not have so big a head that the
coverplate will not go flush to the wall. I would drill it out with
any reasonable-sized drill bit, find a sheet metal screw that will
secure the outlet, and put the cover plate on. 5 minutes maximum as
long as you have an electric drill of some type and some small drill
bits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 7:08*pm, "
wrote:
Thank you Nate and everyone else. *I've got a few things to try
tomorrow.

One of bigger issues that I have with removing/replacing the box is
that the box is apparently a ... for lack of a better term ...
sidestrap box based on other reno we've done and what I've found
elsewhere. *So if you're looking forward at the box, the box resides
on the left of a stud with the attachment wrapping and nailed to the
front of the stud (older home, nothing in here is what one would
expect). *While the example video was informative, it's not an option
to saw through some nails to get the box out.

However, I appreciate all replies and ideas, and will tackle this this
weekend.

Thank you.

Just a follow up ... tried a drill bit, just couldn't get a grip to
push it through. As originally posted, I made more of it than
needed. Had to get some corrosion off the back of the screw and then
used needle-nose on the back-end of the screw to move it a little, a
little more and finally got it out (a quarter turn at a time).

I appreciate all of the replies and ideas. Hopefully it'll help
others too.

Where to put the electrical box. Aaron Fude Home Repair 1 June 9th 08 06:19 PM
need some electrical help [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 13th 06 11:03 AM
OT Electrical John Emmons Woodworking 13 September 6th 05 04:47 PM
Electrical putty vs. silicone for sealing exterior electrical holes? blueman Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 10:06 PM
electrical dave marriage UK diy 11 November 6th 03 08:07 PM