Posted to alt.home.repair

Default City sues: Too many vegetables

On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.] DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too
many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle
neighbors call 'Cabbagegate.' "

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24979774/detail.html

Homeowner has two acres and has been growing vegetables for 15 years to give
away and sell at the local farmer's market.

The city is correct in cracking down: vegetables are not food - vegetables
are what food eats.

Only America, land of the free. I can grow as mny cabbages as I
like, keep pigs and goats or anything else.

Another one here from the same site that I caught sight of.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24970584/detail.html
Another benifit of living in the land of te free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 11:04*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

"[DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.] DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too
many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle
neighbors call 'Cabbagegate.' "

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24979774/detail.html

Homeowner has two acres and has been growing vegetables for 15 years to give
away and sell at the local farmer's market.

The city is correct in cracking down: vegetables are not food - vegetables
are what food eats.

Only *America, land of the free. *I can grow as mny cabbages as I
like, keep pigs and goats or anything else.

There are many places in America where one can do all those things,
and more. The fellow in the news article ran afoul of local zoning
laws. I didn't read the entire article on that extremely annoying
website, but I'd venture to guess that it looked like he was operating
a farm in an area zoned residential.

Some places in the U.S have zoning; others do not. I'd be surprised
if the UK doesn't have similar laws.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

The city is correct in cracking down: vegetables are not food -
vegetables
are what food eats.

Wrong. Grain is what food eats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 3:55*pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:04*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

We do. But you can grow cabbages anywhere. It's a tradition dating
from WWx when people had to or starve. You can even keep animals so
long as any noises and smells don't upset the nieghbours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

You can grow cabbages anywhere here, too. However, I couldn't
set up a market garden on my two acres, because it's zoned
residential. I could conceivably grow two acres of cabbages
and give them to my friends.

I've never investigated what the animal regulations are in my
area; I've got a policy against owning anything that craps. I'm
pretty sure I could keep a few chickens, maybe a goat,
but nothing bigger or more numerous. Just a mile or two
south of me, it's zoned agricultural, and they have quite
a bit more leeway as regards livestock.

I imagine that during WWx, there was a lot less
regulation of land use. But my house wasn't built
then; it was all farmland.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Some places in the U.S have zoning; others do not. I'd be surprised
if the UK doesn't have similar laws.

And some places don't have zoning. Houston, for example. Every few years,
some factotums from the Department of Housing and Urban Development swarm
into town and do a "land use study." Invariably they find that land use in
Houston doesn't differ much from land use in zoned cities: Heavy industry is
localized, shopping centers are on busy streets, multi-family dwellings are
on the same streets, single-family houses are clustered off the main
streets. And so on.

Occasionaly someone will try to take advantage of the flexibility by opening
a bodega in a residential area or a gas station on a scenic drive.

These rapscallions are dealt with rather peremptorily. A few years ago Shell
Oil bought a corner lot in a ritzy neighborhood with a view toward putting
up a filling station. The neighbors objected by cutting up their Shell cards
and vowing to fight this outrage.

Include amongst these discontented citizens were such influential people as
John Connally (former governor) and Robert Mosbacher (then current Secretary
of Commerce).

Shell ultimately donated the corner lot to the city for a pocket-park.

Of course that resolution was the exception. In less classy climes, disputes
such as this would be settled by firearms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Children?

==========

She was obviously referring to a broad category of creatures primarily
represented by dogs, which people own because they enjoy walking down the
street with bags of ****, for reasons which should remain private because
coprophilia is a strange condition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

You ARE referring to the good citizens who carry plastic bags to clean
up after their dogs, unlike some...uh...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

===========

Even the ones who clean up are often bad citizens. I've politely asked them
to not allow their dog to stop on my property. Most ask "Why?"

Do you realize what an absurd question that is?

Just this past weekend, I was 5 minutes away from weeding in my flower
garden at the edge of the property near the street, when a dog criminal
allowed her pet to pee all over the flowers. I politely asked her to not let
that happen in the future. She asked the stand stupid dog owner question:
"Why?" I explained that I didn't want to stick my hands into urine-soaked
plants. She said "Can't you wear gloves?" (That was stupid question #2. It's
up to me whether I want to wear gloves.) Finally, I said "Look, I
understand that you enjoy playing in urine and you think I do too, but
you're wrong. Keep the kinky stuff at home where it belongs."

She left in a huff. She should've left in a black bag with a zipper up the
front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:44:11 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

[...]

I'm not a turd scientist, but a lady would walk her small dog every
morning along my lawn turf. Given the turd size I asked her if she
was allowing her dog to mess in my yard. No, she said and asked me
why.

"Ma'am"! "I've put down dangerous chemicals and it might kill your
dog". No turds since...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's an excellent idea. Maybe I'll steal some of those warning things from
one of the chem-lawn fools on my street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Just this past weekend, I was 5 minutes away from weeding in my flower
garden at the edge of the property near the street, when a dog criminal
allowed her pet to pee all over the flowers. I politely asked her to not
let that happen in the future. She asked the stand stupid dog owner
question: "Why?" I explained that I didn't want to stick my hands into
urine-soaked plants. She said "Can't you wear gloves?" (That was stupid
question #2. It's up to me whether I want to wear gloves.) Finally, I
said "Look, I understand that you enjoy playing in urine and you think I
do too, but you're wrong. Keep the kinky stuff at home where it belongs."

I've really never understood why dog owners think it's OK for their leashed
dogs to pee on other peoples lawns while walking them. It results in a
brown, smelly spot, and they should keep it in their own yards IMO.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in
:

[...]

who says that those dog owners -think-?
they just let the dog do whatever it wants,wherever it wants.
they also just don't care about other people.
it's called MFFY;Me First,F-You.

I have had neighbors who let their dog crap on the sidewalk right in front
of the building's entrance,and leave it there.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Cheri" wrote in
:

[...]

True story about a person I know. He got onto some neighbors for their dog
pooping/peeing in his yard where his kids play, they told him that his kids
sometimes come into their yard and play too. He said..."Fine, when any of my
kids poop/pee in your yard, you let me know, and I'll do something about
it!" I always thought that was so funny.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Actually, parents shouldn't allow their human children to play on
lawns that have been treated with dangerous chemicals. When your
child or grandchild is invited to play on a friend or neighbor's lawn,
I hope you will have the kid's welfare in mind, and politely state
your case. Often the other homeowner did not know of the danger, and
was glad to be alerted, so she can change her gardening practice.

============

Don't be so sure the neighbor will be glad to hear what you're telling them.
I had a neighbor who asked "How can they sell it if it's not safe?" My
current neighbor thinks the stuff is safe unless you're allergic to the
chemicals. Based on that logic, a bullet in the back of your head is safe
unless you're allergic to it.

Half of humanity reads nothing and is terminally, exquisitely stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

None. I'm not as strident about being child-free as
"h" is, but I've never been interested in having them.

Although it could be argued that you only borrow
your children for a couple of decades.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message

Only America, land of the free.

Remember that the next time you get into a war you can't handle by yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

She was obviously referring to a broad category of creatures primarily
represented by dogs, which people own because they enjoy walking down the
street with bags of ****, for reasons which should remain private because
coprophilia is a strange condition.

That's the way it works, you have to take a little **** from those you love.
Beats living alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

She left in a huff. She should've left in a black bag with a zipper up the
front.

Richard Poplawski felt much the same, that dog urine was grounds to start
throwing rounds.

A disposable camera is a good alternative, let's you file a complaint with
the cops with proof of the trespass/vandalism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

She was obviously referring to a broad category of creatures primarily
represented by dogs, which people own because they enjoy walking down the
street with bags of ****, for reasons which should remain private because
coprophilia is a strange condition.

That's the way it works, you have to take a little **** from those you
love. Beats living alone.

With a dog, you ARE alone, unless you drink enough to believe you can have
conversations with the animal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
news
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

She left in a huff. She should've left in a black bag with a zipper up
the front.

Richard Poplawski felt much the same, that dog urine was grounds to start
throwing rounds.

A disposable camera is a good alternative, let's you file a complaint with
the cops with proof of the trespass/vandalism.

Why a disposable camera? Why not a regular camera?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 13, 11:04*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 3:26*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

People have a nerve criticizing others for their child-bearing
choices.
Excepting, of course, the crazy ones like the Octo-Mom and others of
her ilk.
As well as women victimized by male partners to have unwanted
children.
As well as (I'm on a roll!) adherents to a belief system that dictates
to a woman what she should do with her body.

As to the phrase "child-free", ir seems just as harsh as the phrase
"breeders"
used by angry/militant/whatever homosexuals to characterize us
heteros.
To quote the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all get
along!"

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Half? Half?! HALF!!!!! Where you been, dude! It's more like 99%,
considering what the semi-literate, even in so-called advanced
societies,
"read", on the rare occasions when they view anything other than TV
shows and commercials.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Only America, land of the free.

Remember that the next time you get into a war you can't handle by
yourself.

Militarily, we can handle any war we start.

The United States Coast Guard is larger - in ships and personnel - than all
the navies of the world. Combined. We have aircraft that can take off from
South Dakota or Missouri, fly to any place in the world, and deliver
twenty-five tons of guided munitions within thirty feet of the designated
target. Then return to base.

Whether we urge assistance from others is a political decision, not a
military one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Why a disposable camera? Why not a regular camera?

Because you'd probably rather do your gardening with a cheap disposable
camera in your pocket than a good camera.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

With a dog, you ARE alone, unless you drink enough to believe you can have
conversations with the animal.

The human race has managed to forge a really strong alliance with exactly
one other species on this planet--the dog. I think we got a better deal
than did the dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Only America, land of the free.

Remember that the next time you get into a war you can't handle by
yourself.

Militarily, we can handle any war we start.

Only if America is very careful which wars it starts. BTW, you did know I
was talking to the smug Limey, right?

The United States Coast Guard is larger - in ships and personnel - than
all the navies of the world. Combined.

Even if that were true (and it's laughably wrong)¹ it would be irrelevant
since coastal patrol cutters are not equivalent to guided missile cruisers
or nuclear attack submarines.

We have aircraft that can take off from South Dakota or Missouri, fly to
any place in the world, and deliver twenty-five tons of guided munitions
within thirty feet of the designated target. Then return to base.

And yet a 6'5" man with the most wanted face on the planet has managed to
elude America for almost a decade.

Whether we urge assistance from others is a political decision, not a
military one.

It's foolishness like that that gets America into deep trouble.

¹The U.S. Coast Guard has 42,000 active personnel and about 37,000 reserve,
most of its blue-water vessels (about 150) just barely qualify as warships
with perhaps one weapon capable of seriously damaging another large vessel.
Even the current Russian navy which is a shadow of its former glory has
about 90 surface warships and 45 submarines operated by 150,000 active
sailors backed up by several hundreds thousand reservists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:04:58 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

With a dog, you ARE alone, unless you drink enough to believe you can have
conversations with the animal.

The human race has managed to forge a really strong alliance with exactly
one other species on this planet--the dog. I think we got a better deal
than did the dog.

Symbiosis; both survived.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

With a dog, you ARE alone, unless you drink enough to believe you can
have conversations with the animal.

The human race has managed to forge a really strong alliance with exactly
one other species on this planet--the dog. I think we got a better deal
than did the dog.

Actually, we invented what we now call dogs. We selected the ones which
cooperated and discarded the ones that didn't. Their common ancestor is the
wolf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

Militarily, we can handle any war we start.

Only if America is very careful which wars it starts. BTW, you did
know I was talking to the smug Limey, right?

The United States Coast Guard is larger - in ships and personnel -
than all the navies of the world. Combined.

Even if that were true (and it's laughably wrong)¹ it would be
irrelevant since coastal patrol cutters are not equivalent to guided
missile cruisers or nuclear attack submarines.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

We have aircraft that can take off from South Dakota or Missouri,
fly to any place in the world, and deliver twenty-five tons of
guided munitions within thirty feet of the designated target. Then
return to base.

And yet a 6'5" man with the most wanted face on the planet has
managed to elude America for almost a decade.

False as to facts. Osama ben Laden has not eluded American searchers for the
simple reason that we've not been looking for him! This notion is a canard
promulgated by the critics of the Bush administration. Beginning the second
week in September, 2001, it has NEVER been the avowed policy of the United
States to kill, capture, or bring to justice Osama ben Laden. You cannot
find a single sincere quote from a member of the Bush administration
supporting such a conjecture.

When the emotions of 9-11 calmed down a bit, the avowed strategy of the
United States was to prevent another attack on the United States or civilian
interests abroad. Prior to 9-11, there had been about one major attack per
year: The attack on the USS Cole, the WTC bombing, kidnapping and killing of
US Ambassadors, attacks on our embassies, etc.

To implement this strategy of preventing attacks, tactics were developed to
hamper, mitigate, or eliminate terrorist's training, communication,
financing, sanctuaries, travel, and recruitment. For nine years, these
tactics were spectacularly effective.

If during the pursuit of these tactics, OBL ended up dead, that would have
been a plus, but killing or capturing OBL was never a goal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-

False as to facts. Osama ben Laden has not eluded American searchers for the
simple reason that we've not been looking for him! This notion is a canard
promulgated by the critics of the Bush administration. Beginning the second
week in September, 2001, it has NEVER been the avowed policy of the United
States to kill, capture, or bring to justice Osama ben Laden. You cannot
find a single sincere quote from a member of the Bush administration
supporting such a conjecture.

C'mon- we just went through this in July. I gave you 'W' quotes from
2004 & 2005- McCrystal in 2009, Porter Goss in 2005.

McCain used capturing bin laden in his campaign- "I will follow him to
the gates of hell. . . "

Here's the latest I heard on our desire to capture BinLaden by someone
in the know- under both administrations-
mid August, 2010 on meet the Press-
" Petraeus said Osama bin Laden “remains an iconic figure and I think
capturing or killing is still a very, very important task for all of
those who are engaged in counter-terrorism around the world.”

I'm not faulting anyone for *not* capturing/killing him. It is a near
impossible task--- but it is still a goal & no matter how many times
or how strongly you state that it isn't-- it still will be.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

With a dog, you ARE alone, unless you drink enough to believe you can
have conversations with the animal.

The human race has managed to forge a really strong alliance with exactly
one other species on this planet--the dog. I think we got a better deal
than did the dog.

What about cats? My cats come when they are called, jump into our laps
whenever we sit, and sleep in our bed, each with his or her own favorite
spot on one of us. They need to be neither bathed nor walked and the only
household item they destroy is the sisal wrapped for that very purpose
around the posts on their 4-level "cat condo". They also keep the place free
of mice, which is difficult in a 200- year-old house with a stacked stone
foundation. They do all this without slobber and scratchy dog paws. And, of
course, they purr. Petting a purring cat is perhaps the most relaxing thing
on the planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-

False as to facts. Osama ben Laden has not eluded American searchers
for the simple reason that we've not been looking for him! This
notion is a canard promulgated by the critics of the Bush
administration. Beginning the second week in September, 2001, it has
NEVER been the avowed policy of the United States to kill, capture,
or bring to justice Osama ben Laden. You cannot find a single
sincere quote from a member of the Bush administration supporting
such a conjecture.

C'mon- we just went through this in July. I gave you 'W' quotes from
2004 & 2005- McCrystal in 2009, Porter Goss in 2005.

McCain used capturing bin laden in his campaign- "I will follow him to
the gates of hell. . . "

Here's the latest I heard on our desire to capture BinLaden by someone
in the know- under both administrations-
mid August, 2010 on meet the Press-

Politicians lie.

It's not reasonable to publically say "We're not really looking for OBL. We
don't care whether he's hiding or teaching grammer school classes in
Scotland."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Petraeus? How is HE in a position to comment authoritatively on this
subject?

:-) :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-

[...]

So do police officers. Go take a nap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Actually, we invented what we now call dogs. We selected the ones which
cooperated and discarded the ones that didn't. Their common ancestor is
the wolf.

That theory has been challenged, there are those who know about such things
who believe it was (some) wolves who selected us, or more specifically our
garbage dumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

What about cats?

What about them? As the saying goes, dogs have owners and cats have staff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Even if that were true (and it's laughably wrong)¹ it would be
irrelevant since coastal patrol cutters are not equivalent to guided
missile cruisers or nuclear attack submarines.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

You're welcome.

And yet a 6'5" man with the most wanted face on the planet has
managed to elude America for almost a decade.

False as to facts. Osama ben Laden has not eluded American searchers for
the simple reason that we've not been looking for him! This notion is a
canard promulgated by the critics of the Bush administration. Beginning
the second week in September, 2001, it has NEVER been the avowed policy of
the United States to kill, capture, or bring to justice Osama ben Laden.
You cannot find a single sincere quote from a member of the Bush
administration supporting such a conjecture.

Oh, really? You have a certain weakness for bumper-sticker claims that
don't survive serious examination, don't you.

So that speech Bush made to Congress on Sept. 20, 2001 where he named OBL
and demanded the Taliban turn him and other AQ leaders over to the U.S.,
that doesn't count for exactly what reason?

Or how about Bush's "dead or alive poster" comments on Sept. 17, 2001, is
there some reason that remark should be forgotten?

Or Sec. of State Powell's remarks:

http://articles.cnn.com/2001-09-17/u...tacks?_s=PM:US

"We are after the al Qaeda network," Powell told reporters. "It's not one
individual, it's lots of individuals and it's lots of cells. Osama bin Laden
is the chairman of the holding company and within that holding company are
terrorist cells and organizations in dozens of countries around the world,
any one them capable of committing a terrorist act.

"It's not enough to get one individual, although we'll start with that one
individual."

If Bush wasn't after OBL, what did he mean with these words in Dec. of 2001?

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archiv.../20011231.html

Q Any information on the whereabouts of bin Laden or Omar? Is there a
new pursuit underway now?

THE PRESIDENT: No. Yes, I mean, the same pursuit: we're going to get him
and it's just a matter of when. You know, you hear all kinds of reports and
all kinds of rumors. You've got people saying he's in a cave, people saying
he's dead, people saying he's in Pakistan. And all I know is that he's
running -- and any time you get a person running, it means you're going to
get him pretty soon.

And same with Mullah Omar. It's just a matter of time, and I'm patient and
so is our military. There is no artificial time lines or, you know,
deadlines. The definition of success is making sure the Taliban is out of
existence, helping rebuild Afghanistan and disrupting this international
terrorist network. And we're doing a darn good job of it, too.

Or this?

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archiv...0011228-1.html

Q What's your reaction to the bin Laden tape. Are you afraid he's
alluded the manhunt.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, the tape, yes. I didn't watch it all. I saw snippets
of it on TV. You know, it's -- who knows when it was made. Secondly, he is
not escaping us. This is a guy who, three months ago, was in control of a
county. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run.

Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more
than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him
running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's
happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all.

So we don't know whether he's in a cave with the door shut, or a cave with
the door open -- we just don't know. There's all kinds of reports and all
kinds of speculation. But one thing we know is that he's not in charge of
Afghanistan anymore. He's not in charge of the -- he's not the parasite
that invaded the host, the Taliban. We know that for certain. And we also
know that we're on the hunt, and he knows that we're on the hunt. And I
like our position better than his.

Q Would you prefer to see bin Laden captured and questioned about the
attacks and possible future attacks?

THE PRESIDENT: You know, dead or alive is fine with me.

Q There are increasing news reports that bin Laden escaped to Pakistan --

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, yeah? Well, sorry to interrupt your question, but if
you'd asked me the question yesterday, you would have said there's
increasing news reports that he's dead, and the day before, that he's hiding
in a cave. In other words, there's increasing speculation about bin Laden.
But what one shouldn't speculate on is if he's alive, he's on the run. And
you don't need to worry about whether or not we're going to get him, because
we are. And it's just a matter of time.