Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm in the wrong business (bedbugs)

As some of you may know, there seems to be a national infestation of
bedbugs, as has been noted recently in the NY Times and elsewhere.
Apparently it has nothing to do with cleanliness or the lack thereof,
and hits middle- and upper-class folk as well as the proletariat.

My friend and his wife discovered they were bedbug-ridden, and called
and got a couple estimates on eliminating them. The bedbugs seemed to be
confined to one room, their bedroom. One business, a so-called "green"
outfit, came up with an estimate of $3,600! For one lousy room!

Turns out (and apparently they got this info from one of the
exterminators), the way one kills these critters is not with nasty
chemicals but simply with--heat. Heat the room to 120° for about an hour
and they're gone. Surprisingly simple, that. (Well, the "green"
exterminators also sprinkle around a little diatomaceous earth, which
anyone can buy, and do a couple more little things.)

So his boarder took on this project for himself. Went to the local
Harbor Freight and picked up a couple of "Chicago" blowers with heaters.
After figuring out how to supply them current without popping the
breakers, they ran them for several hours: only got up a little over
100°. Whereupon he said "**** it!", went out and bought a propane
heater. The room got up to a toasty 140° in no time.

So it's been suggested maybe I should go into this line of work. Could
undercut the "green" guys and still make out like a bandit.

By the way, I must point out, to borrow from that famous Nazi guy, that
when I hear the word "green" these days, I reach for my revolver. Now
mind you, I'm one of the biggest environmentalists I know. Against
offshore oil drilling, fossil fuel, in favor of cutting carbon
emissions, etc., etc. But this "green" stuff nowadays seems to me to be
about 90% scams; people doing things pretty much the way they've always
done them, with maybe a little environmentally-friendly window dressing
thrown in, and charging double for essentially the same service. Feh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:17:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

You might make some money in Las Vegas. Said, there is 40 or more
locations with bedbugs.

The NE and Florida are the worst -- best I can tell.

http://bedbugregistry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4c880b5a$0$2415
:

As some of you may know, there seems to be a national infestation of
bedbugs,

Funny how the bedbug problem went away in the '50s and stayed away for 50-
years, as long as the exterminators were allowed to lay carbamates and
other quite-safe and highly-effective chemicals, but came back within a few
years of the ban on those same chemicals (~2001).

If You heart Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
If You heart Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

David... Did that get rid of the bugs for your friend???? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

That helps, but does not guarantee no infestation. I just had a
conversation with an exterminator today doing some termite work at our shop.

Bedbugs are most often moved from a hotel to a house in the clothes you had
at the place., but that is not the only way. They get into handbags, for
instance, and Mrs. B goes to the movies this afternoon. She puts her
handbag on the seat next to her and enjoys the matinee. Later that day, you
go to the movies and sit in that same seat. You bring home the guests.

Similar situation in churches with close quarters people sitting next to
each other. Coat rooms, sharing gym lockers etc makes you vulnerable.

Like you, I've not seen any evidence close up, but the infestations are
growing according to the exterminator. Price of a hotel room is no
indicator of bugs (or not). They also did a shelter for battered woman.
One of the workers did not want to spend the money to have all rooms done.
They found bugs in her handbag and house so she called later to have them
all done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
My friend and his wife discovered they were bedbug-ridden, and called and
got a couple estimates on eliminating them. The bedbugs seemed to be
confined to one room, their bedroom. One business, a so-called "green"
outfit, came up with an estimate of $3,600! For one lousy room!

Turns out (and apparently they got this info from one of the
exterminators), the way one kills these critters is not with nasty
chemicals but simply with--heat. Heat the room to 120° for about an hour
and they're gone. Surprisingly simple, that. (Well, the "green"
exterminators also sprinkle around a little diatomaceous earth, which
anyone can buy, and do a couple more little things.)

As mentioned, I had a conversation with an exterminator today about the bed
bugs. He says they wrap the mattress and fumigate it. They did one that
was so bad they just took it outside and left it for the trash. I'll have
to ask him about the heat and potential cost when he comes back next week.
I think $3600 is outrageous.

I don't see getting a mattress internals to 120 easily either. It may be
green, but I'd not trust it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"h" wrote in message

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

That helps, but does not guarantee no infestation. I just had a
conversation with an exterminator today doing some termite work at our
shop.

\ Like you, I've not seen any evidence close up

Again, clean people don't get bedbugs. Duh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:23:35 -0400, "h" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"h" wrote in message

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

That helps, but does not guarantee no infestation. I just had a
conversation with an exterminator today doing some termite work at our
shop.

\ Like you, I've not seen any evidence close up

Again, clean people don't get bedbugs. Duh.

Is that why Victoria's Secret in Manhattan had them? Dirty undies?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-09, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think $3600 is outrageous.

They had a big bed bug article in the Denver Post. Seems Denver is
lousy (pun intended) with them. One reason for the high prices is
some of the specialized commercial heating equipment which can run in
the thousands. The other is jes plain greed.

http://www.thermapure.com/hot_house.php

The exterminator business has always notorious for price gouging.
First time I had my driveway sprayed for Japanese roaches (mostly
outdoor species), it was $75 for a one time pop. Jes a few years later it
was a mos long repeated applications costing hundreds of dollars.
Screw it, I jes stepped on the few that made it into the house, then
moved 4 states away!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 6:17*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
One business, a so-called "green"
outfit, came up with an estimate of $3,600! For one lousy room!

I don't think any competent outfit would treat one room for bedbugs.

Heat the room to 120° for about an hour
and they're gone.

I'm unfamiliar with heat treatments but I think it takes maybe 3-4+
hours, to kill the eggs. Just killing the adults is a waste of time
and money.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 9:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
[...]

A high concentration of CO2 is supposed to kill the bugs. I wonder if
you can put clothing in one of those vacuum bags, suck out the air
then blow the bag back up with CO2 and leave it that way for a while
to eliminate the pests?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 8:23 PM h spake thus:

"h" wrote in message

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see
no evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house
and your bedding clean, no worries.

That helps, but does not guarantee no infestation. I just had a
conversation with an exterminator today doing some termite work at
our shop.

Like you, I've not seen any evidence close up

Again, clean people don't get bedbugs. Duh.

That's simply not true, as I explained in my original post. Even rich
folks up in the hills with tidy clean homes get them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 7:01 PM WW spake thus:

[...]

They'll know in a week or so. They think they zapped all the bugs (and
their eggs).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 10:39 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

[...]

That's interesting, because my friends told me that one thing that
attracts bedbugs in the first place is CO2--specifically, our CO2 at
night, which apparently helps them locate their source of tasty blood
meals. But maybe a high enough concentration could knock them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote
\ Like you, I've not seen any evidence close up

Again, clean people don't get bedbugs. Duh.

Tell that to the clean people that have gotten them. No matter how clean
you are, they can hop a ride home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4c88801e$0$2412
:

[...]

Seems like a good idea - put the mattress in a closed plastic bag with
some dry ice. Leave a little opening for an hour then close
hermetically.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 7:34*am, Han wrote:
[...]

email address is invalid- Hide quoted text -

The banning of ddt was the biggest problem. It was highly effective
against them.

One problem is they don't groom like most other bugs. That's how
most bugs transfer insectcides into their system. They pick it up by
walking in it and then later they groom and eat some of it.

A bed bug can live up to 9 months without food.

Bombing chases them away to other non-infected rooms and inside the
walls. Then they come back.

Heat to 140 is an effective solution but it needs to be held to that
temp ong enough to insure that the insides of things like matresses
also reach 140.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
As some of you may know, there seems to be a national infestation of
bedbugs, as has been noted recently in the NY Times and elsewhere.
Apparently it has nothing to do with cleanliness or the lack thereof,
and hits middle- and upper-class folk as well as the proletariat.

There was just a piece on CNN about bedbugs. Part of the routine for
killing them was to heat the room to 120 degrees.

With all of the alien species we have imported so far ... killer bees,
fire ants, etc....we probably will end up with a super-bedbug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2010 1:35 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

It's the warmth of your body and CO2 that attracts them, a bed bug hotel
like the roach hotel would be a good idea for control. A trap with a
small electric heating element plus a CO2 cartridge for the gas combined
with a sticky surface or a poison might do the trick.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 9:42*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
[...]

Give me DDT or give me death.- Hide quoted text -

Some countries have reintroduced ddt as an indoor treatment only. The
reason we got into so much trouble with it was we were spraying it
wholesale outdoors. It rapidly entered the food chain of birds that
way. Controlled indoor use is reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also make sure you purchase your mattress from a professional company.
There are companies out there that refurbish matresses and sell them as
new.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in news:i69dka$1ld$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Tegger" wrote in message
If You heart Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

Wrong. Flat out WRONG.

If you believe that then I challenge you spend a few hours at a place where
bedbugs are established. Go for it if you have the nads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 20:23:09 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"h" wrote in news:i69dka$1ld$1
:

"Tegger" wrote in message
If You heart Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back, but I see no
evidence that bedbugs are. If you keep yourself and your house and your
bedding clean, no worries.

Wrong. Flat out WRONG.

If you believe that then I challenge you spend a few hours at a place where
bedbugs are established. Go for it if you have the nads.

You betcha. Visitors in Las Vegas carry them home -- unknowingly.
Likely those time share places and the critter hikes a ride.

.... are you feeling itchy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in news:i69dka$1ld$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Tegger" wrote in message
If You heart Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!

Umm, the COMMERCIALS for "get rid of bedbugs" are back,

Calls to exterminators have skyrocketed since the carbamate ban.

but I see no evidence that bedbugs are.

You mean /you/ haven't got them, and therefore nobody else does either.

Call any exterminator company in the phone book, and ask them what they
see.

If you keep yourself and your house and your bedding clean, no worries.

Bedbugs live off blood. Where there is blood to be had, they can be there.
They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message Bedbugs live off blood.
Where there is blood to be had, they can be there.
They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.

Ok, so how do they survive the vacuum cleaner and the washing machine? All
bedding gets washed in hot water once a week. The mattress, all upholstered
furniture, and floors are vacuumed once a week. The floors are then scrubbed
or polished. The ceilings and walls are vacuumed/wiped once a month. How
could bedbugs survive that?

It's just like people whose pets always have fleas. Yes, if you have outside
animals they will get parasites. That's why you brush your animal daily.
Anyone with bedbugs has them because they simply don't clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 2:55*pm, "h" wrote:
"Tegger" wrote in message Bedbugs live off blood.

Where there is blood to be had, they can be there.

They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.

Ok, so how do they survive the vacuum cleaner and the washing machine? All
bedding gets washed in hot water once a week. The mattress, all upholstered
furniture, and floors are vacuumed once a week. The floors are then scrubbed
or polished. The ceilings and walls are vacuumed/wiped once a month. *How
could bedbugs survive that?

It's just like people whose pets always have fleas. Yes, if you have outside
animals they will get parasites. That's why you brush your animal daily.
Anyone with bedbugs has them because they simply don't clean.

Bedbugs can get through the stitching of mattresses and inside the
mattress. Also through the areas where box springs covers are stapled
down. The bugs are fairly flat and that enables them to slip through
small spaces. They will also crawl into the space between the carpet
or flooring and the moulding at the base of the wall. Do you have
paintings or pictures on your walls? They will get inside those as
well. You can't clean or vacuum these spaces. It's got nothing to do
with how clean you are. Anyone can get bedbugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in
:

"Tegger" wrote in message Bedbugs live off
blood. Where there is blood to be had, they can be there.
They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.

Ok, so how do they survive the vacuum cleaner and the washing machine?
All bedding gets washed in hot water once a week. The mattress, all
upholstered furniture, and floors are vacuumed once a week. The floors
are then scrubbed or polished. The ceilings and walls are
vacuumed/wiped once a month. How could bedbugs survive that?

They like to hide in the inside corners of bedrails, recessed screwholes
in nearby furniture, where carpet is tucked under the base molding, ect.

It's just like people whose pets always have fleas. Yes, if you have
outside animals they will get parasites. That's why you brush your
animal daily. Anyone with bedbugs has them because they simply don't
clean.

OK so your kid goes to a friends house after school and they do stuff in
the friends room - TV, PC, smoke weed, whatever.

Oh lookie here. Some bedbugs that hitched a ride on a backpack tossed on
the floor.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ing/M1196.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:55:55 -0400, "h"
wrote:

Anyone with bedbugs has them because they simply don't clean.

Clean children go to school and get a case of head lice or pink-eye.

Check into a hotel room and bedbugs will hitch a ride home, even
cockroaches (giant ones from NJ).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

They like to hide in the inside corners of bedrails, recessed screwholes
in nearby furniture, where carpet is tucked under the base molding, ect.

That stuff is vacuumed, dusted, and scrubbed at least once a week. Do you
really not wipe down your furniture weekly?

Oh lookie here. Some bedbugs that hitched a ride on a backpack tossed on
the floor.

Again, they will be vacuumed up and scrubbed away in less than a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 2:55*pm, "h" wrote:

Anyone with bedbugs has them because they simply don't clean.

I am reminded of the Hawaii Cockroach Rule. Dirty or clean, you're
going to have roaches. Dirty ones or clean ones.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in
:

"Tegger" wrote in message Bedbugs live off
blood. Where there is blood to be had, they can be there.
They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.

Ok, so how do they survive the vacuum cleaner and the washing machine?

It's /extremely/ difficult to kill those *******s. But carbamates did the
job wonderfully.

All bedding gets washed in hot water once a week. The mattress, all
upholstered furniture, and floors are vacuumed once a week. The floors
are then scrubbed or polished. The ceilings and walls are
vacuumed/wiped once a month. How could bedbugs survive that?

They can and they do, easily. Believe it or not. They are /very/ tough, and
they slide into the tiniest of spaces. A crack the width of a hair is more
than enough for them.

You need at least eight-hours of 120-degree heat to kill them. And the huge
problem with heat is that, unlike with chemicals, there's no persistency.
Any bugs next-door to the heat-attack simply march in, unopposed, once the
heat abates.

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

No, that should read, "Anyone who breeds is stupid and selfish." If people
would simply stop over-populating the planet, there would be no need for
"environuts". I love how most self-described "greenies" have more than one
child. If they really were "green", they wouldn't have bred in the first
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in
:

"Tegger" wrote in message

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

No, that should read, "Anyone who breeds is stupid and selfish." If
people would simply stop over-populating the planet, there would be no
need for "environuts". I love how most self-described "greenies" have
more than one child. If they really were "green", they wouldn't have
bred in the first place.

Do you describe yourself as a a"greenie"?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
"h" wrote in
:

"Tegger" wrote in message

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

No, that should read, "Anyone who breeds is stupid and selfish." If
people would simply stop over-populating the planet, there would be no
need for "environuts". I love how most self-described "greenies" have
more than one child. If they really were "green", they wouldn't have
bred in the first place.

Do you describe yourself as a a"greenie"?

Nope. But since I'm childfree, I'm greener than green.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2010 9:32 PM, h wrote:
wrote in message

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

No, that should read, "Anyone who breeds is stupid and selfish." If people
would simply stop over-populating the planet, there would be no need for
"environuts". I love how most self-described "greenies" have more than one
child. If they really were "green", they wouldn't have bred in the first
place.

Trouble is, the ones with a few brain cells (which includes most
greenies- at least they realize there are problems), are the ones we
WANT to have babies. We have plenty of mindless uneducated drones
already. How to legally and morally discourage THEM from reproducing?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2010 9:00 PM, h wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in
:

wrote in message

Environuts are stupid and selfish, plain and simple.

No, that should read, "Anyone who breeds is stupid and selfish." If
people would simply stop over-populating the planet, there would be no
need for "environuts". I love how most self-described "greenies" have
more than one child. If they really were "green", they wouldn't have
bred in the first place.

Do you describe yourself as a a"greenie"?

Nope. But since I'm childfree, I'm greener than green.

So, you're a Vulcan, how logical. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Trouble is, the ones with a few brain cells (which includes most greenies-
at least they realize there are problems), are the ones we WANT to have
babies. We have plenty of mindless uneducated drones already. How to
legally and morally discourage THEM from reproducing?

You can't. The reason human intelligence is self-limiting is that only
stupid people breed. The rest of us figure out how to remain childfree.
So...smart genes are rarely passed on. Simple, basic logic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 10:35*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
On 9/10/2010 9:00 PM, h wrote:

So, you're a Vulcan, how logical. 8-)

My dog, but you're a douchebag!