Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm in the wrong business (bedbugs)

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
My friend and his wife discovered they were bedbug-ridden, and called and
got a couple estimates on eliminating them. The bedbugs seemed to be
confined to one room, their bedroom. One business, a so-called "green"
outfit, came up with an estimate of $3,600! For one lousy room!

Turns out (and apparently they got this info from one of the
exterminators), the way one kills these critters is not with nasty
chemicals but simply with--heat. Heat the room to 120° for about an hour
and they're gone. Surprisingly simple, that. (Well, the "green"
exterminators also sprinkle around a little diatomaceous earth, which
anyone can buy, and do a couple more little things.)

As mentioned, I had a conversation with an exterminator today about the bed
bugs. He says they wrap the mattress and fumigate it. They did one that
was so bad they just took it outside and left it for the trash. I'll have
to ask him about the heat and potential cost when he comes back next week.
I think $3600 is outrageous.

I don't see getting a mattress internals to 120 easily either. It may be
green, but I'd not trust it.