Posted to alt.home.repair

Default multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

The HF around me, are very prompt and courteous with exchanges or
refunds.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Are you talking about this category of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8961df_300.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:20*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* *It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

* *Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* *Jeff

"It does nothing"

What's your definition of "nothing".

Is it broke - i.e. non-operational, no power, etc. - or do you just
not like the way it does what it does?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:20*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* *It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

* *Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* *Jeff

"Ran out to HF (not close)"

If it's not close, you should have driven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 10:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:20 am, Jeff wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

"It does nothing"

What's your definition of "nothing".

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero.

No power, could it do less?

I took it apart. Motor OK, power through switch OK. Just so I didn't
have to drive so far (I picked up and the way back from an outing) to
return it.

If you have no alternative...

Jeff

Is it broke - i.e. non-operational, no power, etc. - or do you just
not like the way it does what it does?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 10:08 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Are you talking about this category of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8961df_300.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Are you talking about this category of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8961df_300.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html

Well, I guess there's a reason why the thing is so much cheaper than
Dremel's version. What is your time worth?

http://www.homedepot.com/Dremel/h_d1...atalogId=10053

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of
use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:20 am, Jeff *wrote:
* * Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* * It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

* * Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* * Jeff

"It does nothing"

What's your definition of "nothing".

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero.

No power, could it do less?

I took it apart. Motor OK, power through switch OK. Just so I didn't
have to drive so far (I picked up and the way back from an outing) to
return it.

* If you have no alternative...

* *Jeff

Is it broke - i.e. non-operational, no power, etc. - or do you just
not like the way it does what it does?- Hide quoted text -

An alternatives to driving back is...

Contact HF Customer Service and see if they'll exchange it and cover
return shipping (if they even want the old one back)

From their Website - http://www.harborfreight.com/contact-customer-service
-

email: - For order status, --- return labels
---, and other order inquiries. Emails are usually answered within
24-48 hours.

Phone: 1-800-444-3353, Monday thru Friday, 6:00 am to 4:30 pm PST
time, to speak with a friendly Customer Service representative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:20 am, Jeff wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of
use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

"It does nothing"

What's your definition of "nothing".

Nada, nothing, zilch, zero.

No power, could it do less?

I took it apart. Motor OK, power through switch OK. Just so I didn't have
to drive so far (I picked up and the way back from an outing) to return
it.

If you have no alternative...

Jeff

Out of curiosity, were you using that tool with an extension cord when you
experienced the problem? If yes, did you try going direct to an outlet, to
eliminate the extension cord as a factor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They
had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of
use. It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Are you talking about this category of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8961df_300.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html

Well, I guess there's a reason why the thing is so much cheaper than
Dremel's version. What is your time worth?

Hey, the Dremel version is about a hundred bucks. If price is the
determining factor, go for the Fein. It's only $400 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment. Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
George wrote:
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment. Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

Harbor Freight: $70
Dremel: $100

3 x 70 = 100? New math?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 11:38*am, Ron wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:24:11 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
George wrote:
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
* Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment. Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? *harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

Harbor Freight: $70
Dremel: $100

3 x 70 = 100? New math?

Harbor Freight has one that is almost always on sale for $34. It's
built like a tank.- Hide quoted text -

Different models:

Single speed ($34)
Variable Speed ($70)

3 x 34 = ~100
3 x 70 = well, a bit more.

P.S. If it were built like a tank it would have a gun turret, tracks,
a 100mm gun or maybe a M-67 flamethrower. My $34 HF MultiFunction tool
didn't come with any of those features.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
newsYadnZXSPr_hVubRnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@earthlink. com...
George wrote:
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment. Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as
much.

Harbor Freight: $70
Dremel: $100

3 x 70 = 100? New math?

Harbor Freight has one that is almost always on sale for $34. It's
built like a tank.

Let's limit the discussion only to the actual model Jeff showed us - the one
he actually bought.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:05:07 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..

George wrote:
[...]

Most are not as limited in their thinking as you are.

So, in a discussion of Product X, you want to discuss Product Y, which the
OP does not own. Thanks for explaining that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:19:09 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:05:07 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

m...

George wrote:
[...]

He didn't buy a dremel or a fein, either, Kanter.

Try and follow the discussion. You've run off the tracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 11:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 8/30/2010 9:20 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment. Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

If it is going to get a lot of use why not buy a good one? harbor
freight power tools are pretty much low end tools that might be a good
fit for an occasional user.

Because a "good" one costs from three (Dremel) to 15 (Fein) times as much.

I guess I am totally missing your point. There is a concept called
value. Price is just one of the components.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:09*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:01:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news George wrote:
[...]

return it.- Hide quoted text -

Does the $70 model come with a M-67 flamethrower? I'd be willing to
upgrade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 30, 9:58*am, Ron wrote:

snip

I bought a Harbor Freight multi tool and I have been regularly abusing
the hell out of it for about 2 years with absolutely no problems.

Same here. About when I give it a rest. my neighbor borrows it. Nice
guy...he brings it back with a new blade or some such every time.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.
It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.
Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

I bought one of the HF reciprocating saws last year for about $20. When I
brought it home, I plugged it in to test it, and observed that it moved very
slowly and stalled out when trying to cut a 2x4.

I decided that it must have been defective, and put it back in the box.

As I was finishing up closing the box, I noticed that it said, on the box,
that it was a variable speed unit. At that time, I re-opened the box,
plugged it back in, and found, when I turned the speed control up from the
lowest setting, that it worked just as it was supposed to. The problem was
that I excluded the possibility of variable speed on a $20 reciprocating
saw.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
On Aug 30, 11:38 am, Ron wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:24:11 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
George wrote:

[...]

You didn't get the separate accessory package.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:58 am, Ron wrote:

snip

I bought a Harbor Freight multi tool and I have been regularly
abusing the hell out of it for about 2 years with absolutely no
problems.

Same here. About when I give it a rest. my neighbor borrows it. Nice
guy...he brings it back with a new blade or some such every time.

Make sure you don't tell him what it cost, or you'll run out free blades.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 8:20*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* *It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

* *Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* *Jeff

I have the cheapest multi-tool from Harbor Freight and the Dremel
version as well. My wife bought me the Dremel and didn't realize that
I already had the HF version but that was OK, one is at the hangar the
other at home. I have used both extensively and the HF unit has
performed great for almost two years without a problem. I have worn
out the saw blade a couple of times and the Velcro attachment for the
sander wore out and had to be replaced but overall I would say that I
am 100% satisfied with the HF unit. The only advantage that the
Dremel offers is being a bit lighter. I would return it for another
if it were me.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Jeff, if the variable speed control is set to run at some speed and the saw
is dead, I'd return it to HF and exchange it. This is a real long shot, but
you do realize that the running tool has so little motion at the blade that
it gives the impression of doing nothing. DOA would mean no sound or
vibration at all, where running normally would be no big apparent motion at
the blade. Try it against a piece of wood to verify that it's not running
and that you've advanced the speed control fully.

The HF saws like you bought are darned good and reliable for most users and
by paying more for the "better" brands, you really don't gain
proportionately more reliability, power or convenience. If the HF store is
really distant, consider giving them a call to ask what they recommend.

Micajah

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They
had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of
use. It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the
moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Are you talking about this category of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8961df_300.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html

Well, I guess there's a reason why the thing is so much cheaper than
Dremel's version. What is your time worth?

Hey, the Dremel version is about a hundred bucks. If price is the
determining factor, go for the Fein. It's only $400 or so.

How is the Dremel? I'm used to seeing them on small scale work and I
need to do things like strip paint and such. I see it is 1.5A and the
"Chicago" is a 2.

Is it a bad boy?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
news George wrote:
[...]

It does me no good to know that X is great when I own Y. Y has variable
speed.

Let me know so I can stop reading this thread.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 2:40 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

I got the same model with a coupon that made it real cheap, and it
worked fine out of the box. So take it back and get a replacement, plug
it in before you leave to make sure it works. It's probably something
like an electrical connection that came apart, not a fault common to
every one made.

No, it's not. It looks like it is in the speed control which is
poured epoxy.

I used to fix electronic devices.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 30, 9:20*am, Jeff Thies wrote:

* *Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* *It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

* *Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* *Jeff

What do you mean by "it does nothing"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

PAY YOUR ELECTRIC BILL !
So you have power to run it !!!!!
Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 30, 12:10*pm, salty, Rob Budd, yetanothermicky wrote:
Most are not as limited in their thinking as you are.

You have NO life do you asshole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote the following:
On Aug 30, 9:20 am, Jeff Thies wrote:

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

What do you mean by "it does nothing"?

He first thought of saying it's a POS, but decided he would explain further.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 30, 4:19*pm, willshak wrote:
Ron wrote the following: On Aug 30, 9:20 am, Jeff Thies wrote:

* *Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

* *It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

* *Jeff

What do you mean by "it does nothing"?

He first thought of saying it's a POS, but decided he would explain further.

I see that now. No power = returning it. Not taking it apart with
probably voided the warranty,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 4:00*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 8/30/2010 12:19 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

.. .

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...tools/variable....

Most are not as limited in their thinking as you are.

So, in a discussion of Product X, you want to discuss Product Y, which the
OP does not own. Thanks for explaining that.

It does me no good to know that X is great when I own Y. Y has variable
speed.

Let me know so I can stop reading this thread.

* *Jeff- Hide quoted text -

You can stop reading this thread anytime you like.

How many alternatives do you need?

It's been suggested that you bring it back and get another one because
it's worth the money, it's been suggested that you call the store for
their advice before you drive over, it's been suggested that you call
or email HF Customer Service to see what they say, it's been suggested
that you consider a different brand, although none of them appear to
be worth the extra money.

That should just about cover the extend of the alternatives.

Oh wait...you could just toss the broken one and do nothing else.

I don't think that there are too many other choices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of
use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Did you plug it in and flip the little switch?

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in
:

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had
three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot
of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

I got the same model with a coupon that made it real cheap, and it
worked fine out of the box. So take it back and get a replacement, plug
it in before you leave to make sure it works. It's probably something
like an electrical connection that came apart, not a fault common to
every one made.

No, it's not. It looks like it is in the speed control which is
poured epoxy.

I used to fix electronic devices.

Jeff

Me too.
it's called "infant failure".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 30, 11:38 am, Ron wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:24:11 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
George wrote:
[...]

Built like a tank could mean built like the Brit tanks that were in use in
WWII:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Design.../dp/0750910593

http://www.royaltankregiment.com/9_R...Unprepared.htm

Britain went from the leader in tank design from the end of WWI to tanks
that allowed German tanks to sit outside return fire range and fire rounds
that would penetrate and then bounce around the crew compartment of the Brit
tanks, killing everyone inside.

. . . over the years 57 different designs were commenced, of which 38 were
cancelled either at the paper stage or at the prototype stage. Of the 19
that became production models, eight were moderately battle-worthy. The rest
were either useless or close to it, and included the Covenanter, Crusader,
Centaur, Cavalier, Challenger, and Matilda Mark I. The problems with these
tanks included mechanical unreliability, insufficient armour, and
under-gunning.

So, built like a tank has its qualifiers . . .

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 9:55*am, Ron wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:08:09 -0400, "Robert Green"

wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news George wrote:
[...]

Only if you don't understand what it means in the context.

How about "built like a brick ****house"? Can you get your head around
that one okay?

Sheesh.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know...I did a Google Image search on "built like a brick
****house" and none of the hits look like my HF Multi-Function tool.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...oq=& gs_rfai=
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
news George wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=1&q=built+lik...

The asshole you are responding to is a troll.......check the headers.