Posted to alt.home.repair
Micajah Micajah is offline

Default multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three
models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use.

It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools at the moment.

Recommendations, exchange or buy another brand?

Jeff

Jeff, if the variable speed control is set to run at some speed and the saw
is dead, I'd return it to HF and exchange it. This is a real long shot, but
you do realize that the running tool has so little motion at the blade that
it gives the impression of doing nothing. DOA would mean no sound or
vibration at all, where running normally would be no big apparent motion at
the blade. Try it against a piece of wood to verify that it's not running
and that you've advanced the speed control fully.

The HF saws like you bought are darned good and reliable for most users and
by paying more for the "better" brands, you really don't gain
proportionately more reliability, power or convenience. If the HF store is
really distant, consider giving them a call to ask what they recommend.

Micajah