Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spiral staircase repair

A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 4:09*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Does the rod appear to be structural or decorative?

If it's decorative, some clear silicon adhesive might do the trick, if
you could apply it and smooth it in a neat manner.

If it's structural, then it's kind of hard to make any suggestions
since I'm having trouble seeing the staircase from where I'm sitting.
Maybe it's the lighting.

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:19:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Does the rod appear to be structural or decorative?

It is structural. It is necessary to hold the handrail to the central
shaft.

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

I can do that in a few days.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jan Philips wrote:
A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?

Well, it could be stainless or other non-ferromagnetic alloy altho Al
alloy may be a good bet...

Other than a hack of drilling and attaching a clamp or bracket or
somesuch I'd reckon probably not.

As another poster said, pictures would be good...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around a handrail attached to the
center. I keep going 'round and 'round and not getting anywhere.

I, too, would like to see a picture - other than one done by Escher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Jan Philips wrote:

A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around a handrail attached to the
center. I keep going 'round and 'round and not getting anywhere.

I, too, would like to see a picture - other than one done by Escher.

epoxy paste? ----------- paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:30:21 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of
them is broken.

I should have said that it is the handrail that is close to the center
shaft, not the one on the outside.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/

Obviously need a closeup to tell anything useful, particularly showing
the actual break but...looks like welded construction in all likelihood
and not much else to be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) *One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/
--
Replace you know what by j to email

OK, so why wouldn't you post a picture of the break? Isn't that what
you want us to suggest fixes for?

If I posted a picture of the left side of my car and asked you how to
fix the dent on the right side, would you be able to help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 8:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:
Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) *One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/
--
Replace you know what by j to email

OK, so why wouldn't you post a picture of the break? Isn't that what
you want us to suggest fixes for?

If I posted a picture of the left side of my car and asked you how to
fix the dent on the right side, would you be able to help?

Agreed, the photo waas useless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 4:09*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

AND

On Jul 27, 8:30 pm, Jan Philips
wrote:

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Well it is some kind of metal obviously...

So look in the yellow pages for a local welder/welding company
and have them give you a quote on fixing it...

Aluminum can be arc welded with special welding sticks or MIG
welded... Stainless steel can be MIG welded... I doubt that your
handrail is stainless steel given the way it is painted, it is most
likely made out of the same metal that the diamond plate stair
treads are constructed from... You said it is non-ferrous which
would indicate towards aluminum...

For this to be repaired by welding the paint will have to be
removed from the area to be repaired -- can't weld through
paint -- and an area where the welder will be grounded to
the staircase to complete the circuit...

Either way this is NOT a DIY project if you are NOT an
experienced welder...

Let your fingers do the walking on this one...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:35:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

OK, so why wouldn't you post a picture of the break? Isn't that what
you want us to suggest fixes for?

Because I don't have such a photo and I can't get one for several
days. People were questioning how the handrail could be connected to
the central shaft. At least it shows that.

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:03:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Nothing I can fix myself.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:32:09 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

Because I don't have such a photo and I can't get one for several
days. People were questioning how the handrail could be connected to
the central shaft. At least it shows that.

As the Flikr info shows - this photo was taken last December. It
wasn't broken then. I discovered the break only yesterday.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break.
There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail
to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of
them is broken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316/

Obviously need a closeup to tell anything useful, particularly showing
the actual break but...looks like welded construction in all likelihood
and not much else to be done.

--

Okay, now it makes sense. Yeah, you could kludge up a repair, but you
shouldn't. Any repair should match the as-built fastening method,

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke.
It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is
there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?

I have things welded from time to time by a local welder and his prices are
*very* reasonable. Sometimes he only charges $10 or $5.

Of course if he had to come to my home, it would be a lot more. But I would
think it would be not too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

if your repair fails and somebody falls and busts their head on
those pretty-but-inherently-dangerous steps, guess what the insurance
company is gonna say?

Um, "here's your check?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here are two photos showing the break in the rod:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4845326438/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4844707963/

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5248185...04/4844707963/

--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack.
That's quite a gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 10:31*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5248185...tp://www.flick...

--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack.
That's quite a gap.

Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail...

I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:31:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

I'll call the contractor that installed it (3 years ago) and see what
he says. He may recommend a welder or whatever. he also would know
the company it came from.

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:52:52 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

I have things welded from time to time by a local welder and his prices are
*very* reasonable. Sometimes he only charges $10 or $5.

Of course if he had to come to my home, it would be a lot more. But I would
think it would be not too much.

Thanks.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have things welded from time to time by a local welder and his prices
are
*very* reasonable. Sometimes he only charges $10 or $5.

Of course if he had to come to my home, it would be a lot more. But I
would
think it would be not too much.

Thanks.
--

If you have someone that treats you that good on just short shop jobs, I'm
sure that he'd treat you good on a mobile job. Five minutes worth of

Steve (retired steel erection contractor)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here are two photos showing the break in the rod:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5248185...tp://www.flick....

--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack.
That's quite a gap.

Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail...

I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...

~~ Evan

"Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail..."

And you know that how?

I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase"
expert...

So who would you call? And if the OP has to call -someone- why *not* a
"spiral staircase" expert?

I've got friends who weld for a living, but I'm not sure I'd just call
them and say "tack this back together for me". I think I'd want to
know why it cracked in the first place. Could be any installation
issue, could be a settling in the building, etc. I'd want to know the
root cause of the crack - even if it was just someone leaning heavily
on the handrail, which I assume the OP would be aware of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Because "settling" or other major structural issues wouldn't make
themselves known by cracking one railing support...

You would see the stairs separating from the building or the whole
staircase would be "wobbly" if there was a support issue present...

This is ONE handrail fixture support which more likely than not was
broken by someone abusing the handrail by putting too much force
on it...

That is why *I* don't feel calling in engineering experts or anyone
else beyond a competent welder is necessary in this situation...

~~ Evan

Trapdoor for spiral staircase Theo Markettos UK diy 19 February 3rd 18 01:06 AM
Purpose/History Of A Spiral Staircase??? MICHELLE H. Home Repair 21 May 18th 10 08:21 AM
Spiral staircase size Chris Home Repair 4 March 12th 07 09:58 PM
Spiral staircase Chris Home Repair 3 August 1st 06 07:57 PM
Spiral staircase construction Doctor John Metalworking 9 February 3rd 05 03:04 PM