Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Spiral staircase repair

On Jul 31, 6:04*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:31*pm, Evan wrote:

On Jul 30, 10:31*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 30, 9:38*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:19:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can
see what's going on?

Here are two photos showing the break in the rod:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5248185...tp://www.flick...

--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack.
That's quite a gap.

Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail...

I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...

~~ Evan

"Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail..."

And you know that how?

*I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase"
expert...

So who would you call? And if the OP has to call -someone- why *not* a
"spiral staircase" expert?

I've got friends who weld for a living, but I'm not sure I'd just call
them and say "tack this back together for me". I think I'd want to
know why it cracked in the first place. Could be any installation
issue, could be a settling in the building, etc. I'd want to know the
root cause of the crack - even if it was just someone leaning heavily
on the handrail, which I assume the OP would be aware of.

Because "settling" or other major structural issues wouldn't make
themselves known by cracking one railing support...

You would see the stairs separating from the building or the whole
staircase would be "wobbly" if there was a support issue present...

This is ONE handrail fixture support which more likely than not was
broken by someone abusing the handrail by putting too much force
on it...

That is why *I* don't feel calling in engineering experts or anyone
else beyond a competent welder is necessary in this situation...

~~ Evan