Posted to alt.home.repair
Jan Philips Jan Philips is offline

Default Spiral staircase repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:03:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

Well it is some kind of metal obviously...

So look in the yellow pages for a local welder/welding company
and have them give you a quote on fixing it...

Aluminum can be arc welded with special welding sticks or MIG
welded... Stainless steel can be MIG welded... I doubt that your
handrail is stainless steel given the way it is painted, it is most
likely made out of the same metal that the diamond plate stair
treads are constructed from... You said it is non-ferrous which
would indicate towards aluminum...

For this to be repaired by welding the paint will have to be
removed from the area to be repaired -- can't weld through
paint -- and an area where the welder will be grounded to
the staircase to complete the circuit...

Either way this is NOT a DIY project if you are NOT an
experienced welder...

Let your fingers do the walking on this one...

~~ Evan

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Nothing I can fix myself.
--
Replace you know what by j to email