Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I've gone Bosch!

After suffering through countless episodes with the fine Dewalt/Porter
Cable support system, I've started replacing my power tools with
Bosch. About a year ago I had a jig saw go haywire and I jumped
through all the hoops on the Dewalt/Delta/Porter Cable website and
accomplished nothing. So, I threw the saw in the trash and bought,
what I thought was a highly overpriced, Bosch jigsaw. I was simply
amazed. The quality is unsurpassed. Well, my Porter Cable
drill/driver's 19.2 battery driver went kaput and I went through the
hassle with their website again. Before they even responded, which
they still haven't, I had purchased, what I thought was a highly
overpriced, Bosch 18 volt drill/driver. Once again, the quality is
unsurpassed. Next came the Dewalt saw (I have two and one hasn't gone
kaput yet). Ever since I had it I was unhappy with the weight and I've
always been unhappy with the motor on the left blocking your line of
sight. Well, when it went out, I decided I wasn't even going to try
their website and I went to Bosch and lo and behold their saw has the
motor on the right and the line of sight and the weight makes it an
absolute pleasure.

I'm now a 100% Bosch fan and even bought the two Dremel tools, the
original and the new multi-task saw which is simply amazing. The only
thing that irks me is that it took me 40 years to wise up.

I'm not a paid shill for Bosch but I would be if they asked. G

--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:13*am, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:

After suffering through countless episodes with the fine Dewalt/Porter
Cable support system, I've started replacing my power tools with
Bosch. About a year ago I had a jig saw go haywire and I jumped
through all the hoops on the Dewalt/Delta/Porter Cable website and
accomplished nothing. So, I threw the saw in the trash and bought,
what I thought was a highly overpriced, Bosch jigsaw. I was simply
amazed. The quality is unsurpassed.

Unsurpassed in the major tool manufacturer's lineup, perhaps, but I've
owned DW, Bosch and Festool jigsaws - it's not even close in my
opinion. Bosch does make fine tools, though.

The same way you feel about moving up to Bosch is the way I feel about
moving up to Festool - why did it take me so long?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

While that point is not really relevant to the discussion since just
about every major brand offers a left-blade circular saw, I'll agree
that left-blade circular saws are the better choice for right-handed
people.

I switched to a PC "left-blade" circular saw many years ago. It
amazing how many people - DIY-ers *and* professionals - don't realize
the advantage of using a left-blade circular saw. I was helping a
friend build a house and a professional framer buddy of his let me use
his left-blade saw saying "Once you go left, you'll never go back."

He was so right!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 8:13*am, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:
[...]

I'm still all Dewalt, but ready to jump ship, I agree they do a poor
job of after the sale service. I'll likely just start working another
brand in rather than a revolution, but it is nice to have all the
cordless tools the same brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After suffering through countless episodes with the fine Dewalt/Porter
Cable support system, I've started replacing my power tools with
Bosch. About a year ago I had a jig saw go haywire and I jumped
through all the hoops on the Dewalt/Delta/Porter Cable website and
accomplished nothing. So, I threw the saw in the trash and bought,
what I thought was a highly overpriced, Bosch jigsaw. I was simply
amazed. The quality is unsurpassed.

Unsurpassed in the major tool manufacturer's lineup, perhaps, but I've
owned DW, Bosch and Festool jigsaws - it's not even close in my
opinion. *Bosch does make fine tools, though.

Festool is another doubling in price, though. I recently bought a
TS-55 and a OF1400, but my Bosch jigsaw is just fine, thank you. I
also have a Dewalt rear swivel circular saw that I like a lot and will
still use it for construction projects. The TS-55 is intended for
breaking down sheet goods.

The same way you feel about moving up to Bosch is the way I feel about
moving up to Festool - why did it take me so long?!

Unlike most Festool snobs, I don't think Festool is the end-all. ;-)
Their SCMS is completely absurd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have both Dewalt and Bosch tools, cordless and otherwise. Both have
their place. As far as service goes, can't say. I've never had to
have any of them serviced. The only parts I've needed are for a PC
router and that was quick and painless. That said, I'll likely buy a
new SCMS in September and it'll most likely be a Bosch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote in message
[snip Bosch is Best text]
I'm still all Dewalt, but ready to jump ship, I agree they do a poor
job of after the sale service. I'll likely just start working another
brand in rather than a revolution, but it is nice to have all the
cordless tools the same brand.

Oh great. Chop saw; Dewalt. Cordless drill; Dewalt. Circular saw; Dewalt. I
was slowly switching over all my Craftsman power tools and here you're
providing a warning after that horse has left the barn.

What's lacking in their after-sales support, if I might ask?

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

keith wrote in message
[snip]
Their SCMS is completely absurd.

What's "SCMS?"

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 12:33*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
keith wrote in message

[snip]

Their SCMS is completely absurd.

What's "SCMS?"

The Ranger

Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 11:30*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote in ...
[snip Bosch is Best text]

I'm still all Dewalt, but ready to jump ship, I agree they do a poor
job of after the sale service. I'll likely just start working another
brand in rather than a revolution, but it is nice to have all the
cordless tools the same brand.

Oh great. Chop saw; Dewalt. Cordless drill; Dewalt. Circular saw; Dewalt. I
was slowly switching over all my Craftsman power tools and here you're
providing a warning after that horse has left the barn.

What's lacking in their after-sales support, if I might ask?

The Ranger

More incompetence than anything else; I bought a stand for my miter
saw, I immediately needed a small part to fix it, they never could
seem to grasp thatand sent several wrong parts, after they sent me the
backbone for the stand, I gave up & put a couple of pop rivets into
the little broken part and went on.
I bought a second 18v 1/2" hammer drill with 2 batteries to start a
new project so I'd have 2 1/2" drills, one of the batteries lasted
only about 15 min, so I called them, & was referred to a service
center 45 miles away, I'll get it there before the warranty runs out,
but a decent thing would have been to send a return box, test it and
send out a replacement. They don't have to do better, but the amount
I've spent could and will go elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 6:13*am, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:
[...]

Try installing one of these

http://www.reliableparts.com/product...r-Parts-461336

and then tell me how much you love Bosch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Ranger wrote:

Oh great. Chop saw; Dewalt. Cordless drill; Dewalt. Circular saw; Dewalt. I
was slowly switching over all my Craftsman power tools and here you're
providing a warning after that horse has left the barn.

Don't fret, Range! When I worked at LLNL, everyone knew, by heart!,
the catalog P/N for the replacement 90 deg gear drive for a Bosch
4-1/2" HS grinder. Not a good sign.

Besides, ALL the professional trades ppl where I now live use DeWalt.
This might be attributed to the fact DeWalt is the most carried line
in the area, but not the only line. Bosch and Makita are also
available. Another thing to keep in mind, we have no HD or Lowe's
every 5 miles, either. When a tool fails, one is most likely going to
have to wait till the next day or drive 30-50 miles for a replacement.
I'd say that speaks volumes for the local faith in DeWalt tools.
(otoh, ford is the most popular truck. go figure!)

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Bosch is very good, but who has a warranty as good a Ridgid, nobody,
and you just walk a tool in for service, they even have a lifetime
warranty on batteries. My electric tools , about 17 of them are US
made Porter Cable, my new tools and cordless are Hds Ridgid and
nothing has broke in 4-5 years. If your Bosch breaks you likely mail
it in, not with Ridgid, that service policy cant be beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've already told you how much I love Bosch. Until something comes
along to change my mind, I'll continue to love Bosch. And, I doubt a
washer part will do it because I call the appliance man.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Ranger wrote:

[...]

I think most of that is because Bosch might be a little out of the
price range for most "average" (and I don't mean that maliciously)
tradesmen. And you go figure. I was once a Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC
dealer and in retirement, I drive a F-250. G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

Try installing one of these

http://www.reliableparts.com/product...r-Parts-461336

BTDT on a GE. Most top-loaders have 'em. Trivial, if somewhat
annoying, fix.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I was about to start buying the Rigid brand and then read where they
were made by Emerson (Craftsman) and that Emerson had been bought out
by a company in China and that gave me pause. That's when I started
buying Porter/Cable instead of DeWalt, only to discover that DeWalt
bought Porter/Cable and they were bought by Delta, or something like
that. You need a damn program to know the players these days. I've
heard now that some Bosch tools are being made in China. That is
disturbing. Hell, if things keep going like they are we'll be better
off building with TinkerToys.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

I think most of that is because Bosch might be a little out of the
price range for most "average" (and I don't mean that maliciously)
tradesmen.

Not really. Bosch has no real price point advantage, here. Remember,
I said no large discount stores. Everything here, except Walmart crap
(B&D), is pretty much MSRP.

And you go figure. I was once a Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC
dealer and in retirement, I drive a F-250. G

You either have never had to work on one or have all the insanely
overpriced proprietary tools. I think Ford trucks are pretty
reliable. Not the most, but right up there. OTOH, as a mechanic,
engineering tech, and former Ford owner, I think Ford engineers are
fringgin' morons and Ford has the most mechanically preposterous
designs I've ever seen or worked on in my life. If I have to work on
another Ford vehicle ever again, I'm charging double!!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Where do you think TinkerToys are made? ;-)

AIUI, Porter Cable and Delta were bought up by Pentair about ten years
ago. Pentair then sold the tool divisions off to Black and Decker,
which already owned Dewalt, Bostich, Stanley, and a bunch of
others. ...or something like that.

A lot of Ridgid's tools are made in the US, if you count the area
around Cleveland, Ohio as part of the US. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

I think most of that is because Bosch might be a little out of the
price range for most "average" (and I don't mean that maliciously)
tradesmen.

Not really. *Bosch has no real price point advantage, here. *Remember,
I said no large discount stores. *Everything here, except Walmart crap
(B&D), is pretty much MSRP. *

Not sure I understand your above paragraph. Bosch is substantially
more expensive than most. I paid $180 for their 12V drill kit vs.
$100, or so, for the 18V Dewalt. The Bosch purchased from Lowes and
the Dewalt from the BORG.

And you go figure. I was once a Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC
dealer and in retirement, I drive a F-250. G

You either have never had to work on one or have all the insanely
overpriced proprietary tools. *I think Ford trucks are pretty
reliable. *Not the most, but right up there. *OTOH, as a mechanic,
engineering tech, and former Ford owner, I think Ford engineers are
fringgin' morons and Ford has the most mechanically preposterous
designs I've ever seen or worked on in my life. *If I have to work on
another Ford vehicle ever again, I'm charging double!!

Try a Chrysler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster
wrote:

[...]

Well, I don't work on vehicles. I find it much less frustrating to
just pay the freight and move on. But I do agree, they seem to be
engineered by a plumber that just got an electronics degree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster
wrote:

[...]

Chryslers are very trying.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote in message

A lot of Ridgid's tools are made in the US, if you count the area
around Cleveland, Ohio as part of the US. ;-)

I didn't until they drafted Colt McCoy. G
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just got off the phone with Porter/Cable trying to find a battery
charger model 8624. You know what? Those people just simply don't
care. They simply don't care. They laughed and told me it was
obsolete. I said I guess I'm out of luck and they just laughed again
and said you got it. I hope they, Dewalt, Delta and everyone else
associated with them go broke.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

just pay the freight and move on. But I do agree, they seem to be
engineered by a plumber that just got an electronics degree.

LOL!!...

That's a keeper.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

Try a Chrysler.

Chryslers are very trying.

By Chrysler, I guess you mean Mopar. Can't say anymore. My
experience was years ago. But, some examples between my Dodge vans
and my Ford van:

Time to remove inside engine cowling:
74' Dogde = 10 secs
91' Ford = 1 hr

Time to separate auto trans linkage joint:
74' Dodge = 15 secs
91' Ford = 45 mins (without $57 tool)

Time to change new spark plug harness:
74' Dodge = 5 mins
91' Ford = hadda hire a Hobbit!!

It's like Ford hires engineers to make dealing with a simple
mechanical device 9 times more difficult than is necessary. Very
strange.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

Try a Chrysler.

Chryslers are very trying.

By Chrysler, I guess you mean Mopar. Can't say anymore. My
experience was years ago. But, some examples between my Dodge vans
and my Ford van:

My Chryslers were minivans ('85 and '90) and the original Intrepid class ('93
and '96). Nice when new, but absolute junk down the road. Except for the '74
Rustang-II, all my Fords have been decent vehicles. We now drive a '00 Sable
and a '01 Ranger. The next will be a Mustang Convertible, so I'm told.

Time to remove inside engine cowling:
74' Dogde = 10 secs
91' Ford = 1 hr

Time to separate auto trans linkage joint:
74' Dodge = 15 secs
91' Ford = 45 mins (without $57 tool)

Time to change new spark plug harness:
74' Dodge = 5 mins
91' Ford = hadda hire a Hobbit!!

It's like Ford hires engineers to make dealing with a simple
mechanical device 9 times more difficult than is necessary. Very
strange.

Those aren't fair comparisons at all. That 25 years added a lot of crap
(pollution and otherwise) to cars, not to mention CAD, which allowed a lot of
weight to be taken out. A *lot* changed in all vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

JC- Hide quoted text -

I just go by figuring everything isnt made in the US anymore, PCs
battery line at Lowes just felt to cheap and flimsy for me to want a
new PC tool, the circular saw was so light it could actualy flex in my
hand and the drill didnt feel solid. Im happy with my Ridgid stuff and
I work it hard and no complaints so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

around Cleveland, *Ohio as part of the US. *;-)- Hide quoted text -

I have an old Rockwell circular saw, its still great, Porter cable
bought Rockwell in the mid 80s, now I see Rockwell brand at Menards,
hey its all chinese stuff now, who knows what is what, but Ridgids
warranty is best and they are solidly made, who knows maybe Bosch
makes some of ridgids stuff, I see a few tools that have the designs
and makings of another brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

All of my Bosch tools have a 3 year warranty. Everything else I have
was only one year, if that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:14:31 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:

All of my Bosch tools have a 3 year warranty. Everything else I have
was only one year, if that.

I bought a 5 piece Bosch kit in Jan '04 (dated my batteries).

Used it daily for a couple of years. On my 3rd battery (June "07,
dated) for casual use.

The 18V hammer/drill, priced separately was about half the cost of the
kit. The drill and jig saw are my favorites (great tools). Sawsall
can drain a battery pretty fast. The light lens can swivel and is
great in a tight space. The cir saw if heavy on the battery, depending
on the material.

I've dropped the drill a few times off a ladder and it never broke the
case or refused to work. I did accidentally hit a man in the head
after he walked by the ladder one day as I brought the drill down to
my side.. The drill is heavy and his head hurt. My advise was "stay
away if I have tools in my hands."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A lot of tool manufacturers have combined into a few companies (PC, Dewalt,
Stanley, Delta, are all one). "Rockwell" of today has *nothing* to do with the
Rockwell of the '80s, or before. That company was the ones with the Space
Shuttle, and now makes industrial automation stuff (Allen Bradley). Ridgid
makes their own tools (I had some early interviews with them a couple of years
ago), mostly in the US.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

PC has become Black & Decker's line of "better" home tools (if you want real
junk, it has B&D's name on it). It is junk. Dewalt is their "professional"
line; much better, some very good, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:37:41 -0500, "
wrote:

You single out Ford, but what
about all those GMs that put the battery in the wheel well, or put spark plugs
where they cannot be changed?

On one 60's era Chevy, you had loosen a motor mount, jack the engine
slightly -- just to get a spark plug in. PITA.

I'll stay with my Ford Bronco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You single out Ford, but what
about all those GMs that put the battery in the wheel well, or put spark plugs
where they cannot be changed?

On one 60's era Chevy, you had loosen a motor mount, jack the engine
slightly -- just to get a spark plug in. PITA.

My 2001 Impala has a hook on top of the engine for your come-along to
jack the engine forward to get to the back 3 plugs. But the good news
is I didn't need to change them- but did anyway at about 100K.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

ago), mostly in the US.- Hide quoted text -

Why doesnt Ridgid put Made in USA on those tools, they would sell alot
more, when I pick up my old PC stuff with a made in USA sticker I get
pride out of seeing it, and sadnness everything is a chinese ricer
today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
keith wrote in message
[snip]
Their SCMS is completely absurd.

What's "SCMS?"

Sacred cow mucus screener

The Ranger

Random orbit sanders - green Bosch PEX400 vs blue Bosch GEX 125? Andy Dingley UK diy 4 January 12th 08 08:56 PM
Bosch Stormport Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 December 24th 07 01:31 AM
Bosch PMF 180 The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 October 16th 07 10:40 AM
Bosch SDS [email protected] UK diy 5 April 23rd 07 06:40 AM
Bosch SDS John Rumm UK diy 4 March 25th 05 09:44 PM