Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with a 100' tower?

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it seems
very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing.
It's 100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around
the tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a
triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size from the
top to the bottom.

I did just find a fairly close sign company with a 120' crane, but today
is sunday so I can't call. I don't know what the tower would cost,
maybe someone would take it for free if they take it down? Maybe it's
worth more?

If it gets expensive I think I could topple the thing one direction
where it is far from any buildings or trees. It actually looks easy
using the cables but that also sounds like a story for the Darwin awards.

Any suggestions appreciated. I thought of renting out antenna space but
I figure it would already be done if anyone was interested.

Looking for suggestions of things to ask or research that I may not
think of. I guess i could leave 20 or 40 feet there and put a TV
antenna on it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 2:18*pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

if its well enough built a wind generator.

although toppling it and selling for scrap might be better if no one
will buy it......

steel scrap is going for about 10 bucks per hundred.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

If your local paper has free adds you may put it in that for free. Maybe
some ham radio operators would take it down if given to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:17*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

some ham radio operators would take it down if given to them.- Hide quoted text -

Craiglist!! Or check the local ARRL hamfest groups, you could make a
ham so happy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/18/10 03:17 pm, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local dish
satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it seems very
well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing. It's 100'
tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around the tower,
total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a triangle, each
side about 3' and it appears to be the same size from the top to the
bottom.

snip

If your local paper has free adds you may put it in that for free. Maybe
some ham radio operators would take it down if given to them.

www.eham.net has classified ads.

"Perce"

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Maybe they'd pay a little something to get the rights to stick a 2M repeater
on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

First thing, try to sell it. craigslist, ebay, whatever. It's free money.
If no one will buy it, consider it, like you say, for your own TV antenna.
If not, just drop it, and sell the steel.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:18:32 -0400, Tony
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it seems
very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing.
It's 100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around
the tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a
triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size from the
top to the bottom.

I did just find a fairly close sign company with a 120' crane, but today
is sunday so I can't call. I don't know what the tower would cost,
maybe someone would take it for free if they take it down? Maybe it's
worth more?

Can they convert this tower into a Billboard (location, location)
location?

If it gets expensive I think I could topple the thing one direction
where it is far from any buildings or trees. It actually looks easy
using the cables but that also sounds like a story for the Darwin awards.

Do it with no wind blowing. Do you know how much a 100' tower sways at
the top.

Any suggestions appreciated. I thought of renting out antenna space but
I figure it would already be done if anyone was interested.

Looking for suggestions of things to ask or research that I may not
think of. I guess i could leave 20 or 40 feet there and put a TV
antenna on it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

[...]

Put a wind turbine generator on the top and call yourself "green". Place
your TV antenna a bit further down the tower. Place a netcam or two up
near the top of the tower for some nice views.

Also, it should not cost very much to have the tower inspected by a
tower service company in your area to ensure it is in good condition and
the guys are properly tensioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2010 1:18 PM, Tony wrote:
[...]

When I was younger, I could climb the darn things and would have loved
to have owned an elevated piece of property with such a tower. I could
have so much fun hanging antennas on something like that for all of my
mad scientist RF experiments.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Might as well leave the whole tower up if you're going to leave up to 40
feet of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why no put a tv antenna on top of the full 100 feet. Talk about great
reception.....

Liability. Right now if it could possibly fall, it could land on a nice
house next door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 7/18/2010 1:18 PM, Tony wrote:
[...]

You still can relive your younger days! Come on, you know you want it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Liability. The house next door is less than 100' away.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's the key word here, indeed. If the surrounding property is now
zoned for residential and there are houses within the radius it could
hit your insurance agent will definitely have an interest in rates for
that potential you'll need to consider.

One would, as you've alluded to, presume if there were any interest in
the site for either continuing satellite or other usage it is highly
unlikely a usable tower wouldn't be in use. I'd certainly want to find
out whether there's even any possibility of it being used for that
purpose; I'd suspect probably the reason it isn't being used now is that
zoning regulations have changed that forced them to go elsewhere and
that it wouldn't be allowed for cell or other use having once been
abandoned. And, of course, even if it were potentially allowed, then
you would be in a commercial venture and have that level of liability as
opposed to simply a homeowner.

I'd think it could easily cost as much or more to re-rig the support
guys for a shorter height as it would to dismantle it entirely and I'd
also expect there to be no commercial demand for it or somebody would
have already taken it. It's one of those things where the overhead in
taking it down and moving it and re-erecting it elsewhere would be far
more than new construction in very high likelihood.

Unless the land had real other value and can be got for much less than
the removal cost or there is some other reason the particular site has
other value I'd surely be thinking twice't and more and probably pass on
this nuisance. It surely needs some expert research at a minimum on
local conditions regarding the limitations in future use either personal
or commercial and what, if any, maintenance obligations come with it
that the current owner must pass on or are statutory by various
jurisdictions. I've no clue, just cautionary. Unless I were certain I
was going to have it removed, I'd want a current engineering evaluation
of condition, not just a look-see of my own as can imagine such would be
required for liability coverage as well as simply wanting to know didn't
overlook something.

All in all sounds like trouble _I_ don't need...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:30:24 -0400, Tony wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

If the tower is guyed properly and in good physical shape I wouldn't
worry about it crashing into the neighbor's house. I have a 65 foot tall
TV tower with a large ham radio antenna atop that I put up in 1980 that
is not guyed (cabled) and it has withstood some storms that have knocked
down nearby trees. Funny though this tower is 10 foot sections with a 9
foot top section. I can't recall seeing TV tower with 20 foot sections.
Even heavy duty tower for ham radio like what's available from Rohn is in
10 foot sections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

--

First off, if it's an existing structure, it is grandfathered into any
zoning changes.

The fact that it's not currently in use means little. Based on what is
mentioned about it's prior use, it was likely a CARS band relay site for
a cable system which has simply been obsoleted by a fiber optic upgrade
of the cable system. A cable system I used to work for had two such
leased sites, and retired both when they did a full system rebuild /
upgrade which replaced the old CARS band microwave links with fiber.

The fact that some other use has not been made of the tower could relate
to numerous things, such as the expiration of the lease for the site,
the property owner not investigating a new lease with a different
company, location, and cellular operators already having adequate tower
space in the area. 100' is also pretty low for cell towers.

As for the possibility of the tower falling down, that is pretty
unlikely unless the tower has been out of service and maintenance for a
*long* time. The cost to have the tower inspected by a qualified tower
company is not that much and they can give an accurate report on any
issues, and what future maintenance might be needed. Also guyed towers
*do not* simply fall over unless they are deliberately sabotaged. If a
guyed tower fails for some reason, they will fall within an area about
30% of the tower's height, which means for a 100' tower, it would not
fall more than 30' or so from it's base. The tower manufacturer's
engineers can provide documentation of this, and have done so for at
least one person I know of.

You might investigate leasing tower space to an Internet MDS company if
they are common in the area. They provide Internet service to consumers
via short haul microwave links and often locate their antennas on water
towers and similar lower structures. A lease agreement could provide for
annual tower maintenance and free Internet service. You would also still
be able to put up a wind generator, etc. if you wanted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2010 8:29 AM, Tony wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 7/18/2010 1:18 PM, Tony wrote:
[...]

Nope, too many health problems, too much pain.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Guyed towers *do not* fall over in one piece. Short of deliberate
sabotage, a guyed tower will fall within about 30% of it's height. The
tower manufacturer's engineers can provide certified documentation of
this for you to show anyone interested, such as your insurance company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

If a kid climbs it on a dare from his friends, and gets hurt, or
killed, you are on the hook.

If the tower bas is fenced and gated as I'm sure it is if it was a
commercial site, you *are not* on the hook for their trespassing,
breaking and entering, and subsequent injury.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

20' sections are common for heavy duty commercial grade towers. These
towers are designed to last many decades and to carry significant wind
loads such a 10' diameter microwave dishes, panel reflectors, etc. This
tower probably has a face width of 24" or better and continuous fall
protection anchor point for climbing it. The light duty towers you are
familiar with are in a different class.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

I've seen some fairly heavy-duty looking Rohn non-freestanding in 10 foot
sections. Obviously 20 footers would indicate commercial grade designed
for commercial heights. You wouldn't want 30 sections of tower for 300
feet. That's inherently poor in strength.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:52:19 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Don't bet on it.

Especially in today's litigious society.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

First off, if it's an existing structure, it is grandfathered into any
zoning changes.

Maybe. maybe not. Depending on how the law reads, change use can
kill off the grandfather. Say, if this one was put up pre-zoning (or was
an appropriate use at the time) for Ham radio or TV. But they want to
change it to something like a cell tower, that might not be gf. Also
might depend on when the law was changed. If the original use had
already been abandoned by the time the law took effect, then it would
not necessarily still be available.
The folks in Marathon, Fl, for instance are battling this. There
was a structure that had housed a strip joint. It had closed about 18
months before a law was passed putting adult entertainment in a new
zoning category. The owner of the building wants to restart the strip
joint as grandfathered and Marathon says you were closed at the time of
the zoning change and it isn't a continuing use. So far, Marathon is
ahead on points in the courts (grin).

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

news

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Take another drink and reread about the tower. This is not your average ham
or small Rohn tower. The legs are about 3 feet apart. It may be the 65 or
80 series and not the 25 series. They have 20 feet long sections.

Whatever was on it must have been some big wind load . A tower with 3 feet
legs and guyed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 11:51*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Guyed towers *do not* fall over in one piece. Short of deliberate
sabotage, a guyed tower will fall within about 30% of it's height. The
tower manufacturer's engineers can provide certified documentation of
this for you to show anyone interested, such as your insurance company.

Since when have facts and statistics factored into an insurance
premium estimate, or public opinion?

All the morons will see is, "100' tower, anything within 100' is a
potential target." It doesn't matter how much paper you wave in front
of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

It's not a TV tower. This is commercial duty. How wide are the sides
of yours? I took a quick peek at Rohns. I saw little towers. The
sides of theirs is an equilateral triangle are 12.5 inches. The tower
I'm talking about is an equilateral triangle *3 feet* on each side. I
could almost fit 9 of those little towers in the same footprint of mine.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

First off, if it's an existing structure, it is grandfathered into any
zoning changes.

Maybe. maybe not. ...

Precisely, can't tell but one would certainly want to know for sure for
the specific site/municipality...

Again, it's nuts to not ask or explore all contingencies _before_ it
becomes a legally binding responsibility regardless of whether one
thinks any one particular item might be a remote occurrence. There's
not enough info in the posting to do anything specific; I simply made
some conjectures of at least a few possibilities I could foresee.

In short here's a definite case of caveat emptor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Yes now you are close! The *face width* is 3', like I said in my
original post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Well one can only guess without an initial description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote in
news

wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Yea, like the dumb-ass McD's woman who toasted her beaver with coffee.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

No need to insult me, asswipe. I don't drink either. Didn't read the 3
foot leg description.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:46:58 -0400, Tony wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Sorry I'm guilty of not reading that far. That tower aint going anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All might want to check at "alt.ham radio" under 100 foot tower. There is a
great picture of the tower and shack and fence etc. Sure looks like a pretty
nice "former ham shack" to me!!

Sorry bout the top post G

Sparky 01

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:18:32 -0400, Tony wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a
local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it
seems
very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing.
It's
100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around
the
tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a
triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size
from the
top to the bottom.

You seem to claim to be a boozer. So, build a beer joint under it and
call it "The Jumpin' Off Place"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote in :

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:18:32 -0400, Tony wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a
local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it
seems
very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing.
It's
100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around
the
tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a
triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size
from the
top to the bottom.

You seem to claim to be a boozer. So, build a beer joint under it and
call it "The Jumpin' Off Place"

You can be a drunk and not drink ya know...

If you don't understand that, be thankful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it
seems very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized
tubing.

Keyword: thinking. A friend of mine wanted to buy a corner lot for a
convenience store. Not a gas station, mind you, just a store. He was very
excited, the price was right, and the owner "motivated". He dug a little
deeper, and it seems there was a gas station there previously, but not for
about 25 years. So long that most of the locals didn't remember it, but
county records never forgets. The tanks were still underground. The owner
is responsible for HazMat and other environmental cleanup and remediation.

Long story short, had he not dug a little, and found out just what the law
was, he could have snagged the property for a good price, but then had to
spend millions on it to clean it up to an acceptable federal standard.

Investigate, because, to me, if this thing was able to be knocked/torn down
and sold for scrap, it would be gone. There's some reason it's still there.
And if you buy the property, you will assume all the liabilities that are
involved with the tower. Which may be none, or which may be expensive to
have it torn down according to industry standards. Unless, of course, some
vandals snuck in there in the night and torched one of the guy wires, the
wind was right, and gravity did its thing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

stuff snipped

If the tower bas is fenced and gated as I'm sure it is if it was a
commercial site, you *are not* on the hook for their trespassing,
breaking and entering, and subsequent injury.

Don't bet on it.

Especially in today's litigious society.

Yea, like the dumb-ass McD's woman who toasted her beaver with coffee.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Would you have just said "nevermind" if you had your balls burned off by not
just hot but scalding hot coffee? Somehow, I doubt it.

"A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns
(or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner
thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was
hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting.
Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her
claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused."

When defendants refuse to pay reasonable claims because they know they can
*mostly* skunk the little guy, they often suffer punitive damages. What
might have cost them as little as $20K ended up costing close to a million
because they wanted to play hardass. Problem is they ran into a lawyer with
a harder ass than theirs that kicked them around they way they deserved.
Sometimes it's smarter to fess up than to fight. McDonald's was serving
unreasonably hot coffee according to the testimony given, just 20 degrees
shy of boiling. Other establishments and home drinkers usually serve/drink
coffee at the 140 degree mark or thereabouts. That can cause burns, but
nowhere as serious as 190 degrees can.

McDonald's coffee, as served in the restaurant, was undrinkable because it
would have caused severe mouth and throat burns, so why make it so bloody
hot? They did it because a) they were idiots and b) a consultant told them
to. Since the suit, they've turned the coffee thermostat down. They just
wanted to make a million dollar fuss out of being made to do it and they got
what they asked for. How anyone but a franchisee can love anything
McDonald's does is beyond me. Just look up "pink slime beef" and
"McDonalds" and you might not want to eat there anymore. Or maybe
ammoniated centrifuged floor scrapings are your cuppa tea.

It turns out 700 other people had been burned by McDonald's unusually hot
coffee in much the same way, and some of those cases involved servers
mounting the wrong lids or mounting them improperly and basically tossing a
cup of nearly boiling water in the victim's lap.

The trial judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful
because they *knew* the product, as served, had seriously injured over 700
people before. Sometimes it takes a big lawsuit to force a huge corporation
to stop selling bad tires, runaway cars, scalding hot coffee or salmonella
laced peanut butter. Usually, a number of people have to die or be
seriously injured before anyone notices.

Lawyers serve a very valid purpose in the Corporate States of America. You
can bet that hungry teams of them are going to be kicking BP's
well-deserving ass all around the Gulf of Mexico and the process will have a
deterrent effect on other idiot drillers who don't follow safety rules.
McDonald's makes more coffee sales in one day than they paid out to that
woman. It's chump change for them.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 5:25*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

Bobby
You left out one of the many salient facts that came out at trial.
The coffee was served that hot so that it could not be drunk quickly
subjecting the staff to request for free refills which would have cut
into profits. That was discovered by the plaintiffs investigators in
McDonald's own files.
--
Tom Horne