Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Jeff The Drunk[_5_] is offline

Default What to do with a 100' tower?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:01:21 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:30:24 -0400, Tony wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:18:32 -0400, Tony wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a
local dish satellite system. My first concern is liability,
although it seems very well built and there is no rust through the
galvanized tubing. It's 100' tall in 5 20' sections with three
cables at 3 places around the tower, total of 9 cables. A view from
the top would look like a triangle, each side about 3' and it
appears to be the same size from the top to the bottom.

If the tower is guyed properly and in good physical shape I wouldn't
worry about it crashing into the neighbor's house. I have a 65 foot
tall TV tower with a large ham radio antenna atop that I put up in 1980
that is not guyed (cabled) and it has withstood some storms that have
knocked down nearby trees. Funny though this tower is 10 foot sections
with a 9 foot top section. I can't recall seeing TV tower with 20 foot
sections. Even heavy duty tower for ham radio like what's available
from Rohn is in 10 foot sections.

Take another drink and reread about the tower. This is not your average
ham or small Rohn tower. The legs are about 3 feet apart. It may be
the 65 or 80 series and not the 25 series. They have 20 feet long
sections.

Whatever was on it must have been some big wind load . A tower with 3
feet legs and guyed.

No need to insult me, asswipe. I don't drink either. Didn't read the 3
foot leg description.