Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default What to do with a 100' tower?

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:30:24 -0400, Tony wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:18:32 -0400, Tony wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local
dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it
seems very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized
tubing. It's 100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places
around the tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look
like a triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size
from the top to the bottom.

If the tower is guyed properly and in good physical shape I wouldn't
worry about it crashing into the neighbor's house. I have a 65 foot tall
TV tower with a large ham radio antenna atop that I put up in 1980 that
is not guyed (cabled) and it has withstood some storms that have knocked
down nearby trees. Funny though this tower is 10 foot sections with a 9
foot top section. I can't recall seeing TV tower with 20 foot sections.
Even heavy duty tower for ham radio like what's available from Rohn is in
10 foot sections.

Take another drink and reread about the tower. This is not your average ham
or small Rohn tower. The legs are about 3 feet apart. It may be the 65 or
80 series and not the 25 series. They have 20 feet long sections.

Whatever was on it must have been some big wind load . A tower with 3 feet
legs and guyed.