Posted to alt.home.repair

Default impact screwdriver

On Jul 12, 11:08*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I find they usually break the stud/bolt
off.....................Or if
it's in screwdriver mode chew the head up.

I've not had that experience with mine. *Are you thinking of the
pneumatic version? *This is manual- kinda like the old Yankee
driver-drill.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

No, the one you hit with the hammer. One tends to start with a light
tap and then increasingly heavy blows. Tool of last resort. Kill it or
cure it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default impact screwdriver - what is the question?

Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2010 9:54 PM Steve B spake thus:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...

Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Either explanation will do; after all, this is the person (Mr. Techical
know-it-all®, apparently) who posted

I always thought all the lead settled in my A$$ because I don't do nuttin.

in another thread here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:48:30 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Jul 12, 2:33*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 12, 8:24*pm, "Nonny" wrote:

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." *It's called an
impact screwdriver. *They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago.

What they are is a very heavy solid steel handle with a coarse
pitched screw thread inside, so to speak. *Inside the threaded
area is a mated shaft with reversing toggle, and on the end of the
shaft is a hex holder for various screwdriver bits. *The tool is a
heavy duty version of the Yankee drill we all remember. *They have
a socket wrench-type of shaft and apparently can also be used on
bolts, but I've never tried that, since I have a pneumatic wrench
that works well. *Their best application is in loosening frozen
screws, where an inward application of force and twisting motion
is needed.

To use the impact screwdriver, you place the appropriate bit in
the holder and hold the screwdriver firmly while tapping on it
with a hammer. *The impact forces the bit into the screw, helping
to prevent the head from stripping, while the coarse threads make
the bit twist just a tad. *Usually, that's enough to break loose a
frozen screw if you're lucky, and you then follow up with a
regular screwdriver to finish the job.

The first one I had I bought as a teen to work on my motorcycle's
engine and had it for around 40 years. *During that 40 years, I
probably had to use it a dozen times at the most. *However, each
and every time it saved the day for me. *The one Harbor Freight
sells appears to be a clone of my old one and I suspect it'll
serve the purpose longer than I'll ever need.

Nonny

I find they usually break the stud/bolt off.....................Or if
it's in screwdriver mode chew the head up.

Sounds like you have it confused with some other tool, an air impact
tool, maybe?

Yeah, I think he has. The difference between impact driver and
impact wrench, easy to miss perhaps, since drivers come with a square
shaftt that take sockets like from socket wrenches (although they
should be special "impact sockets".)

It's the very advantage of an impact driver that the momemnt of
twisting is the same moment that the driver is pressed hardest against
the work service. When any other screwdriver might lift up and
scrape off the top of a screw, the impact driver has lost all torque
by the time it can lift up.

There are better quality I'm sure, but JCWhitneys are pretty good and
they also sell a set of extra tips.

Two or three years ago, they had two models of impact driver, the
simple one I bought 30 years ago also, and one with a long handle and
a rubber donut guard to protect your hand from the hammer. I bought
them both and like the one with the guard.

Also Harbor Friegght has a small one, which I haven't used yet.

OTOH, Lowes and Home Depot had nothing like any of these. A strange
omission afaict.

When I was tryhing to get the covers off, the bolts out of, a
40-year-old motorcycle, this driver was essential. I messed up the
one bolt I worked on before I bought my new drivers. (I also had to
heat not the heads but the places where they screwed in with a propane
torch.

Had one in my tool box since the 1960's and it was the only thing that
would disassemble the early Honda motorbikes for repair. Worked well

Ah, you too!

with the retaining screw on many of the import cars brake discs and
drums. We learned to apply Kroil liberally before exceeding the yield
point of the fastener.
Possibly the most under-rated but useful tool around.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

Had one in my tool box since the 1960's and it was the only thing that
would disassemble the early Honda motorbikes for repair. Worked well

Ah, you too!

I had a Honda 50 that blew the main gear inside the motor. The big round
one with all the teeth. I was bound and determined to fix it, as I didn't
have the money to have the shop do it. My dad was a machinist. He came out
to find me putzing with getting those screws out. "Wait a minute, here's
what you need." Yes, it was. Poink! Out! And so good that you could
actually reuse the machine bolt on reassembly. I miss Dad.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:24:34 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:

[...]

It's called a impact driver. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Impact_driver
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B posted for all of us...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Steve

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't
because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers
and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl posted for all of us...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...

Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Either explanation will do; after all, this is the person (Mr. Techical
know-it-all®, apparently) who posted

I always thought all the lead settled in my A$$ because I don't do nuttin.

in another thread here.

So a little levity isn't allowed here nebby? Sure beats the dumb situations
and useless drivel you post. You run out of pills?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2010 6:27 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Steve B posted for all of us...

wrote in message
m...
Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Steve

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't
because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers
and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.

i hope you're not referring to me. I am not Steve B.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Steve B posted for all of us...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
[...]

Well, aside from the fact that nebby and I ARE the world's greatest experts
on everything, you were the one who asked,

AND your question is?

We weren't answering any questions except for those brought up by posters
who haven't heard of them, or wanted to know something specific.

And I thank you for the compliment about being the world's greatest. But
it's okay. I already know that. I just haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn
Express. Yet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I don't even look like him.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, my post was to inform folk, rather than to ask a question.

Nonny

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Steve B posted for all of us...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"mm" wrote

Had one in my tool box since the 1960's and it was the only thing
that would disassemble the early Honda motorbikes for repair.
Worked well

Ah, you too!

I had a Honda 50 that blew the main gear inside the motor. The big
round one with all the teeth. I was bound and determined to fix it,
as I didn't have the money to have the shop do it. My dad was a
machinist. He came out to find me putzing with getting those screws
out. "Wait a minute, here's what you need." Yes, it was. Poink! Out! And
so good that you could actually reuse the machine bolt on
reassembly. I miss Dad.

Did anyone using these NOT start on motorcycles? That was certainly my start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonnymus" wrote in message
Yes, my post was to inform folk, rather than to ask a question.

Nonny

The sober here caught that from the get go. We just chimed in with our
experiences with this handy dandy tool. I guess some could not keep up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"mm" wrote

Had one in my tool box since the 1960's and it was the only thing
that would disassemble the early Honda motorbikes for repair.
Worked well

Ah, you too!

I had a Honda 50 that blew the main gear inside the motor. The big
round one with all the teeth. I was bound and determined to fix it,
as I didn't have the money to have the shop do it. My dad was a
machinist. He came out to find me putzing with getting those screws
out. "Wait a minute, here's what you need." Yes, it was. Poink! Out!
And so good that you could actually reuse the machine bolt on
reassembly. I miss Dad.

Did anyone using these NOT start on motorcycles? That was certainly my
start.

In my state, you could get a motorcycle license at 14. Car was 16, so I
guess that pretty much explains it. My dad used to have me help work on
some things as a kid, but never anything that complicated. Mostly hand me
that wrench, stuff like that. Once I had a motorcycle, I could work on the
puzzle my own self.

Ah, Cushman Eagle. King of the street, and the coolest "scooter" around.
Until the Hondas came out. Then you couldn't give them away.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:
-snip-

Did anyone using these NOT start on motorcycles? That was certainly my start.

Affirmative! My introduction was not that many years ago- on a
snowblower muffler screw.

Motorcycles! pshaw-- Never saw the attraction. I managed to tempt
fate enough with 4 wheels. How do you lock up your 6 pack and
shotgun on a motorcycle? -- and what if you want to pick up *2* chicks
some night?g [boy was *that* a lot of years ago!]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2010 1:22 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
wrote

[...]

The cool kid in my neighborhood had a Cushman Eagle then an uncool
kid who's father owned a business got one of those white Honda scooters
with the tall tires and blew everyone away.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-21, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 7/21/2010 1:22 AM, Steve B wrote:

Ah, Cushman Eagle. King of the street, and the coolest "scooter" around.
Until the Hondas came out. Then you couldn't give them away.

Steve

The cool kid in my neighborhood had a Cushman Eagle then an uncool
kid who's father owned a business got one of those white Honda scooters
with the tall tires and blew everyone away.

Ahh.... memories.

I was in HS in the days of the Japanese m/c invasion, so I also saw it
all first hand. I ended up on a Sears Allstate Cruisaire, which was a
rebranded Vespa. About 3 kids had Cushmans, which two tossed in favor
of Nippon rides. The third was a hold out and obviously a pretty good
mechanic. He kept his Cushman and never looked back, literally.

He stripped all the sheet metal away and got it down to a frame,
tires, and a motor. What other mods he did to it, I know not, but
they must have been extensive. When school let out, he was the first
out of the parking lot and nothing could touch him on that 2 blk
street in front of the school. That sucker smoked out of the hole!
He kept it all through high school and the smaller Jap iron never had
a chance. Later, after 4 yrs in the service, I somehow ended up as a
pro m/c mechanic. For awhile, anyway. I never did see that crazy
Cushman guy again, but I'll never forget him and his screaming Eagle.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"mm" wrote

[...]

I had two Cushman tricycle-type vehicles (circa 1963-4) with a refrigerated
box on back. I and another person sold ice cream all summer long from them.
They had most of the "guts' of the Cushman Eagle and were of very good
quality for the time.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker posted for all of us...

wrote in message
m...
Nonny posted for all of us...

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago

AND your question is?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Steve

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't
because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers
and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.

i hope you're not referring to me. I am not Steve B.

Sorry, thank you for correcting me. I meant Steve Bee

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Makita Impact screwdriver bits mark UK diy 5 November 18th 09 05:03 PM
Best Impact Bob La Londe Metalworking 5 March 11th 09 04:05 PM
New Makita screwdriver/impact SparkyGuy Home Repair 2 March 12th 07 01:05 AM
impact wrench, to buy or not to buy mrcheerful UK diy 5 February 15th 06 02:56 PM
impact wrench, to buy or not to buy Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 February 15th 06 11:51 AM