Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Support for Kneewall

I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 8:43*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I built a 6' long *x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

Is there a joist where your column is to attach? If so, perhaps you
can use pocket screws to attach the column. If not, you're going to
have to add something to attach it to. Sheetrock isn't going to do
it. In any case, I don't think you need "brackets".

--

You need to add a space and return to make the above a proper sig-
separator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 9:43*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I built a 6' long *x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Unless you extend the column material down into the kneewall some you
are just going to create another wobble point.

Have you put sheetrock on it? If not that might be enough to tighten
it.

I would run something down from the inside of the kneewall into the
space below. Then fast it to the nearest floor joist or tie it to 2
joist using a cross piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/2010 8:43 AM, desgnr wrote:
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to
attach it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

go through the ceiling, tie into ceiling joists, then wrap with sheetrock

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in
:

I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom &
Kitchen. But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to
attach it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

We put a kneewall in our dedroom, about 4 ft high by 10 ft long. It is
stabilized by two 90 degree end sections about a foot long. Very solid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have access to the underside of the flooring, consider
glue/screw a 4X4 to span between the joists below the end of the
knee wall above. Once in place, then drill upward into the end
piece of the knee wall and reinforce it with a long lag bolt
driven upward through the 4X4 into the framing. If you have lived
a good, clean and honest life, you might even find the end framing
member of the knee wall passes OVER a floor joist, making life
even more simple.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

To give an educated answer we need a little more info.

Is this a ranch house where you can get to the attic above the post
position?

Does there happen to be a joist directly over the post position?

Either of those will make this fairly easy.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to
attach it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

I made a very sturdy one by first lifting part of the floor and putting
a vertical 2x6 glued and screwed to the floor joist at the loose end of
the knee wall, also adding blocking to transfer the horizontal force to
the adjoining joists on each side. I would have had to change it a lot
to have more joints like that but the other end of the knee wall was
going into a normal wall anyway. I put the sill plate down also by
gluing and screwing it down into the double joists below the floor.
(double because it was around the opening for stairs) Then built the
kneewall using glue and screws. Now many people underestimate the
strength drywall can add, but it can add quite a lot. Before the
drywall the knee wall was fairly stiff. After installing the drywall
with GLUE and screws the wall became even stronger than I had hoped for.
For the drywall to add that much strength, the sill plate must be down
strong as all hell and the bottom of the drywall glued to it. I think I
had a few lag bolts with washers in the sill plate also but the glue is
also very important.
Posted to alt.home.repair

keith wrote:
On Jul 12, 8:43 am, "desgnr" wrote:
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

Is there a joist where your column is to attach? If so, perhaps you
can use pocket screws to attach the column. If not, you're going to
have to add something to attach it to. Sheetrock isn't going to do
it. In any case, I don't think you need "brackets".

--

You need to add a space and return to make the above a proper sig-
separator.

Don't go up, go down. Think like a stairway newel post. Assuming you
have access to the ceiling below, plate across 2-3 joists, and run a
stiffener up through the floor. Old stairways were all wood, and went
together like a chinese block puzzle. In this case, a metal plate lagged
into the joists, with a welded pipe with flanges to bolt off to the
studs of the knee wall. You'll have to open up the wall to attach it,
but when it place it would vanish completely. Any competent welding shop
that makes basement columns to order can whip it up for you.

Whoever built the place should have framed a socket in the floor, and
run a doubled 2x4 end stud down into it, the full depth of the floor
joists. You could also do it that way, if the idea of ironmongery is not
appealing to you.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:22:57 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

keith wrote:
On Jul 12, 8:43 am, "desgnr" wrote:
[...]

When I added a knee wall in a previous house I too had trouble getting the
free end stiff enough, until I tied it into the (open) railing around the
side.

Whoever built the place should have framed a socket in the floor, and
run a doubled 2x4 end stud down into it, the full depth of the floor
joists. You could also do it that way, if the idea of ironmongery is not
appealing to you.

He just added the wall, so I doubt anyone thought far enough ahead to add the
"socket".

Posted to alt.home.repair

The kneewall is below a Archway that i assume there is a header above i can
attach to.
There is no joist below,they run Parellel to the kneewall.
"Tony" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it help to put an angle iron between the stud at the free end & floor
plate ???????????????????
"Tony" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
The kneewall is below a Archway that i assume there is a header above i
can attach to.
There is no joist below,they run Parellel to the kneewall.

Is the kneewall still open or covered with drywall or whatever?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---- Hide quoted text -

None of that is going to stiffen it much. You are fighting
considerable leverage at the top corner of the kneewall. Your best
bet is to extend a 2x4 through the floor and then attach it to the
bottom of the floor joists. It doesn't matter which way they run you
can always scab some short pieces to connect the vertical 2x4 to one
or more joists. Then you have leverage working for you from the other
side. You might stiffen it a bit with these other solutions but if it
gets subjected to a lot of force, like someone tripping and using it
to break their fall, it will rip out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

In that case just take a piece of wood the same size as the floor
joist, and in the joist bay below the end of the knee wall put a cross
piece in between two floor joists, then cut a hole in the floor for
the end post to go through (I would probably use a 4x4 assuming that
you framed the knee wall with 2x4) and bolt that to the piece you just
put in.

nate

desgnr wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your support dashawn42000 Home Repair 2 June 26th 07 11:31 AM
ARE EEE O.T. Customer Support Mike M Woodworking 5 February 18th 07 10:17 AM
Jacuzzi support Art Home Repair 2 November 29th 06 08:43 PM
Decking support Stephen UK diy 3 May 12th 05 04:35 PM
support wall or not? April Home Repair 4 February 17th 05 11:44 PM