Posted to alt.home.repair
desgnr[_2_] desgnr[_2_] is offline

Default Support for Kneewall

Would it help to put an angle iron between the stud at the free end & floor
plate ???????????????????
"desgnr" wrote in message
The kneewall is below a Archway that i assume there is a header above i
can attach to.
There is no joist below,they run Parellel to the kneewall.
"Tony" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to
attach it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

I made a very sturdy one by first lifting part of the floor and putting a
vertical 2x6 glued and screwed to the floor joist at the loose end of the
knee wall, also adding blocking to transfer the horizontal force to the
adjoining joists on each side. I would have had to change it a lot to
have more joints like that but the other end of the knee wall was going
into a normal wall anyway. I put the sill plate down also by gluing and
screwing it down into the double joists below the floor. (double because
it was around the opening for stairs) Then built the kneewall using glue
and screws. Now many people underestimate the strength drywall can add,
but it can add quite a lot. Before the drywall the knee wall was fairly
stiff. After installing the drywall with GLUE and screws the wall became
even stronger than I had hoped for. For the drywall to add that much
strength, the sill plate must be down strong as all hell and the bottom
of the drywall glued to it. I think I had a few lag bolts with washers
in the sill plate also but the glue is also very important.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---